Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford C800 stakebed- Completed 9/21/06

Here's my newest WIP. I picked this up at the LHS Tuesday night, but didn't get to working on it until last night (that darn high school gets in the way). I just snapped a few quick pics.

The kit comes with a gas engine. I think its a 370 or 391, but I'm not 100% positive. I'm going to weather the engine a little, just to depict a working truck.

model054.jpg

The chassis is done and ready to be painted. I'm not sure what color yet, because I want to coordinate it with the cab. It'll probably end up black, which would look really nice with the color I have planned for the cab (you'll have to wait for that, It's a surprise)

model053.jpg

Thanks for lookin :lol: . Comments welcome.

*Disclaimer*

I know that the kit box and directions say that this truck is a C600. But, for those that have the kit, if you look real close, the badge on the door has an 800. What do you expect, another AMT goof.

The kit has been out in various forms, my guess is the first time around it was a C800. Ironically the only other Ford C currently out is a C900 tractor with dual US Mail trailers. :?

Hey but thats a great kit and it looks like you are getting a good start on it.

Not positive on the engine but I have been told it is a Ford 534SD 8.8L (534 cid) gasoline engine

The original AMT issue was listed as C600, the Tractor kit is a C900.. C800 on the badge has always been in question. One wonders what AMT originally had planned?

A fire engine :lol::D:D

FordCpump1s.jpg

Oh, well one can always dream, this should have been a no brainer for them since AMT makes both the Ford C and ALF kits.

Note this was not my build, it was built by a friend of mine using parts from the ALF pumper and Ford C kits.

The engine's done and ready for the chassis, provided the chassis was ready. I weathered it some, just to depict a well maintained working truck.

This will get lettered for my fictional construction company. I don't know about some model truckers, but my trucks may be used, but not abused :D .

Rusty manifolds, dirt, grease and oil. Your eyes do not decive you, the filter says FRAM. The breathers look like they could use new gaskets...

model056.jpg

model055.jpg

That motor is looking good, this is a good kit to spend time on the motor too, the tilt cab actually goes up enough to show off the detail. I started one of these 2 years ago but stalled at the motor, I'm using the CAT diesel from the Ford Louisville which proved more of a difficulty than I expected.

The C as a pumper always made sense to me. I used to see rigs like this all the time. Red, white, green/yellow..

The Ford C was one of the most popular commercial cabs used to build fire apparatus for almost 40 years, pumpers, ladder trucks, rescues etc. It would have been easy to do a Mack version (N?) of the kit too.

Guess I better stock up on a few more while they are still available, I'm getting a number of ideas.

Tim, for oil I use an acrylic based sudge wash, much like used for washing panel lines, grilles, etc. It's 2 parts acrylic paint, 3 parts water, and 5 parts dish soap. For grease, I use the same thing, just with an extra step. Next time you're at the hobby shop, look in the pinewood derby section for powdered graphite lubricant. It comes in a tube. I use AGS Extra Fine Graphite, its in a red-orange tube. Just squeeze it into the wet sludge, and when dry it looks like caked on grease.

Got some paint on her over the last few nights. This was my first build using BIN primer, and I like the results. No crazing, etching, or anything. Color is Duplicolor Bright Red, topped with Colorplace (WalMart) clear. I foiled all the emblems, and brought back the detail with 1500 grit. This was also my first wetsand job. I did it before clear, but the cheapo stuff isn't too bad so I shouldn't have to sand it. I still need to paint the window trim, but that has to wait 'til at least Wednesday, when the clear is dry.

model062.jpg

model063.jpg

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

I just prepped tre plastic as per usual. Wash it to remove the mold release, and I hit it with some 1000 grit to give the plasic some bite. I removed all the mold lines, and took care of one sink mark. Then, I shot the BIN straight out of the rattlecan onto the plastic.

I got the interior done today. These old trucks are pretty spartan, so no frills here. Most of the interior is steel, so it matches the outside of the truck. At least theres a padded dash top...

model059.jpg

No carpet, just a rubber mat. A/C is unheard of, but at least the heater works.

model060.jpg

It's getting there, everybody! I just need to add the fuel tanks, which I've decided to leave chrome, some misc. details and the bed. I even fiddled around with some of those craptastic mudflaps we were talking about in Tim's post. The bed is painted, I just have to fit the stake sides. I'm leaving those loose, so I can keep it practical. I also need to paint the crate and drums. I'm hoping to finish this up during the day tomorrow. I have half a day of school, so I should have plenty of build time tomorrow.

model064.jpg

model065.jpg