Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maserati 3500GT -- Monogram 1/25

Matt Bacon

Thanks, guys... Skip, the logo is just a decal that was in the box...

Re-did the rear lights. I started with some clear runner/sprue from a Tamiya Alfa Giulietta kit, which just happened to be the right diameter.
And after quite some work sanding and shaping, drilling holes in the back end, BMF and the finishing touch in the form of fuse wire circles for the light bases, here we are:
rear-lights-XL.jpg
Not the greatest picture, but you get the idea.
ockup-with-wheels-1-XL.jpg
mockup-with-wheels-2-XL.jpg
mockup-with-wheels-3-XL.jpg
All very much mocked up, so don't worry too much about the ride height, but I think I'm happy with these Aoshima wheels...
Still battling with the windscreen. That has to be done before we can progress the BMFing on the body and make a dash for the finish line...
bestest,
M.

For those as are interested, these are the decals in my kit:
3500GT-decals-XL.jpg
Mine is a pure Monogram-branded and styled box, but interesting that the decals are Revell AG, eh? I have no idea whether they are the originals, or if they were "acquired" from another boxing by the previous owner of this kit...
bestest,
M.

Thanks, gents!
Lengthy session with the BMF now completed, thanks goodness, not to mention messing about with windscreen blanks. I'm getting there with one, I think... It's a matter of plunge moulding and then trimming very carefully to fit, but I can make more or less as many as I need, now, so one is bound to work eventually!
bmf-on-higher-angle-XL.jpg
bmf-on-front-view-XL.jpg
bmf-on-back-view-XL.jpg
None of the working parts are fixed with hinges yet. I'm thinking that I won't glue the windscreen and rear window in place until I've done all the flexing of the body I need to get the interior in -- I suspect they'll just pop out again if I glue them in place...
bestest,
M.

Very nice job with this, Matt. Well-done taillights, nice foil work, everything looks great.

As a thought, perhaps you could use some air-drying modeling clay or something like Play-Doh to mold to the shape of the windsheild and then vacuum-form around it?

Charlie Larkin

...still battling on with the windscreen, but otherwise a couple of moments of truth today...

doors-open-XL.jpg
After leaving the hinge bearings to set very solidly, it seems that it IS possible to open them and close them again. If you're ever doing something like this, I recommend using silicone "plastic parts grease" from the local mountain bike shop to protect the pins and sockets. It helps them move more easily, but also, and more importantly, stops whatever glue you are using leaking into places that it shouldn't sticking things permanently... My tube cost 8 quid or so, but will last my entire modelling career and well into the afterlife...
headliner-XL.jpg
Not the most beautiful modelling ever, but from a normal angle and distance this will look fine, I reckon. The sun visors are smoked glass on the real thing -- I just painted them with Tamiya "Smoke". A little bit of epoxy resin makes the reading lights a bit more realistic. The mirror is stolen from a Tamiya Jag which has gone to the small-scale auto breakers yard (someone messed up the main body parts, but the lovely wire wheels are destined for an E-type build, and many of the detail parts are coming in handy elsewhere). The door handles on this Maserati will be from the same source...
getting-inside-in-XL.jpg
This is how you get the chassis inside the body if you've stuck the rear valance in place early in the build for painting. It kinda "scissor-folds" in. I left the doors etc taped up so they didn't flap about while I got it all in place, but opened them to make sure the interior floor had snugged down into the sockets in the chassis.
clamped-1-XL.jpg
clamped-2-XL.jpg
The front end "floats" a bit, so I've glued the tops of the engine bay sides to the body interior with some strong, flexible glue that takes a couple of hours to set. It'll fill gaps, and won't run and leak to the wrong place. I'll be able to unclamp tomorrow morning, by which time it'll be bulletproof -- I hope!
The rear axle is assembled, ready to fit when everything is set solid tomorrow.
bestest,
M.

Thanks, Skip... the interior lights are some "Devcon 5 minute Epoxy" from the local store. It's a bit "milky", but looks just right for this job, I reckon. Funnily enough, I'd just thought of using it for the turn signals as well.
This may be more than you all really want to see, but...
all-together-3-XL.jpg
all-together-5-XL.jpg
all-together-2-XL.jpgall-together-6-XL.jpg
all-together-4-XL.jpg
...I'm REALLY pleased to have to got to this stage...
bestest,
M.
Edited by Matt Bacon

I think this'll probably be the last WIP update:
nearly-done-1-XL.jpg
nearly-done-3-XL.jpg
nearly-done-2-XL.jpg
nearly-done-4-XL.jpg
Just the last external details to add now.
The windscreen could be better, but it's the best _I_ can manage! Decals held up remarkably well, considering how messed up they looked at first glance. Microscale decal film, and Klear used to apply them, worked wonders!
bestest,
M.

Thanks, guys... Monty, I watched that video several times in HD during this build -- it's great! And boy, is this a great-sounding car.

Skip... I used the "plunge-moulding" technique I described back at the beginning of the thread, but I bought some proper 0.5mm PETG sheet to mould with. Then I laid it over the buck, cut it a bit bigger than the original windscreen, and VERY slowly trimmed it back a bit at a time until it fit. It's glued in, again a bit at a time, with Formula 560 canopy glue. Ace stuff!

And now...I think this is done.

underside-done-1-XL.jpg
This is all straight OOB kit detail... I think it's pretty good, especially for the vintage.
done-on-bench-4-XL.jpg
done-on-bench-1-XL.jpg
done-on-bench-2-XL.jpg
Most of the detail parts -- wipers, door handles, internal mirror -- are from a junked Tamiya Mk II Jag kit, which I bought for spares. I shaved the kit front indicators down to a base, and used epoxy again to make a clear "glass" on each, which I then painted clear orange. It looks much better than the chromed part, I reckon.
done-on-bench-7-XL.jpg
done-on-bench-6-XL.jpg
You gotta love those working features!
Number plates to go on, a bit of a valet, and then proper pictures in better light in the morning...
Thank you for watching. ;-)
bestest,
M.
Edited by Matt Bacon