Model Cars Magazine Forum

2011 Revell-Monogram fall releases

Allright Orange Crate, McEwen dragster. Sweeeeeeeeeet! Oh forgot Big Daddy Ed Roth Tweedy Pie. Saw a 1:25 Jungle Jim funny car on that list on the Model Roundup. It say's these kits should be available for around 3 years. They have

Encore Reissue of 1951 Henry K Kaiser Gasser in Stock Now

Edited by MODELFREAK2112

Looks like there's something to please (almost :lol: ) everyone. The Orange Crate and GMC (wasn't this a Chevy in previous issues?) Tow Truck will definitely be welcomed, and it looks like the Revell 1/25 VW Beetle will be re-issued under the Monogram Classic Cruiser label.

I see the Revell '32 Ford 3-window is back, too, but now under the Monogram Classics line. Three newer '32 Ford kits available at once...times are good. :blink:

Sadly, there is no mention of either the '48 Ford Custom nor the 1/12 Mustang GT-500 kits. :huh: Maybe they'll just release them when they're ready since they've already been shown as built ups. ;)

Thanks for posting this, Luc!

Looks like there's something to please (almost :lol: ) everyone. The Orange Crate and GMC (wasn't this a Chevy in previous issues?) Tow Truck will definitely be welcomed, and it looks like the Revell 1/25 VW Beetle will be re-issued under the Monogram Classic Cruiser label.

I see the Revell '32 Ford 3-window is back, too, but now under the Monogram Classics line. Three newer '32 Ford kits available at once...times are good. :blink:

Sadly, there is no mention of either the '48 Ford Custom nor the 1/12 Mustang GT-500 kits. :huh: Maybe they'll just release them when they're ready since they've already been shown as built ups. ;)

Thanks for posting this, Luc!

That's just the fall supplement, all the prior anouncements are still coming as far as I know. Great list but I was hoping for an all new tool and or a hardtop verison of the 72 Cutlass. Maybe there will be something along those lines for 2012.

-Steve

LOL, nephew just told me he wants the Bell X-1 plane. For those of you with kids that watch the Arthur on PBS. It's the plane Arthur builds that his sister throws out the window. The plane can also be seen in many episodes when he is in his room.

... and GMC (wasn't this a Chevy in previous issues?) Tow Truck will definitely be welcomed, ...

Actually Casey, the last time we seen this kit in the mid to late 90s, at least on the box it was just called a "Wrecker Truck", but for some reason I think the instructions MAY have had the Chevy name on them.

B5Wzfw2kKGrHqQOKkYEym1-ehNBMtPTChg_12.jpg

WOW, someone please tell me that wrecker is a glue kit...

Sorry to burst your bubble Robert, but it is, as you can see from the pic I posted above from the last release of the kit, it was a SnapTite. B) Before you hold that against it though, it was an EXCELLENT snap kit, and even has an opening hood and fully independant engine, with the only pieces molded into the frame being the exhaust pipes and fuel tanks if I remember correctly. If you want, I have an old built up of it I got in a trade, I'd be more that happy to supply you with some pics of it if you want to see just how nice it actually builds into.

Of course, other than a case or two of the wreckers (who'd thunk I'D want wreckers :blink: ), I can't wait to see the 1/24 scale Huey again! A thread not too long ago about unusual loads for trucks came up, and that was the first time I even knew there was a kit of this made, and I guarantee you'll see one on the back of one of my trucks! :lol:

Oh boy! More reissues!

Where's the sarcasm font when you really need it?

At least there's the 2010 Shelby. I guess there's no way to expect a current year model of a current year car from Revell anymore.

Yeah, sarcasm font.

Finally, I wonder if that '78 Trans Am is based on the "Smokey and the Bandit" diecast tooling. I REALLY hope so!

I was piqued about that at first too, Ken - but they say it's a 1:24 3-in-1, which has me thinking it'll probably be the same ol' same-ol'...

Yep, I have to agree with Chuck, Ken. The pic of it looks just like the stock box art pic from the early 2000s issue of it and the mid 80s "Warbird" issues, with the correct "Trans Am" markings gone just like the 2000s issue! B)

ehh, nothing that gets me really excited. i'll get one of the Wreckers, maybe both of the Lambo's, but beyond that nothing interests me, with the 1:12 GT500 coming out I wonder why they would produce the exact same kit in 1:25 scale. I would rather them do the KR version. The 78 Firebird appears to be the 1:24 version. I would rather see the diecast version converted to plastic. (its a little slab sided. but its got better detail then the 1:24 one) is'nt the Boss 302 still in Revell's current catalog. might get one of the Steve Kinser Sprint Cars.

Ohhhhh...

Boss 302 (finally, a hood without holes. :D )

I don't recall the Monogram-based '70 kit ever including a hood with a hole in it...unless you cut it out to clear the Cross Boss induction system. :lol: Is a hood without a hole not included in the current Special Edition '70 Boss 429/302/Mach 1 kit?

I sure hope Revell never releases any kits based on a die-cast model. The Revell 1/125 '70 Challenger R/T T/A kit is proof that such a move is ill-advised. :lol:

Actually Casey, the last time we seen this kit in the mid to late 90s, at least on the box it was just called a "Wrecker Truck", but for some reason I think the instructions MAY have had the Chevy name on them.

B5Wzfw2kKGrHqQOKkYEym1-ehNBMtPTChg_12.jpg

You're right, Matthew. I was probably thinking of the Midnight Cowboy wrecker, which is totally different.

Yawn...a bunch of reissues...same ol', same ol'. Nice to see the Shelby in 1:25th, but it will be two years too late for a '10 when it comes out.

Anyway, there are still at least 4-5 previously announced new tools coming in '11...(4 of which are '10s running late).

Edited by Rob Hall

Aren't current sprint car chassis completely different than the Gambler chassis that was in the earlier Revell/Monogram sprint car kits?

Yes, hardly anything is the same. I think just about the only thing that hasn't changed is the wheelbase. Also from what I have heard Gambler doesn't even exist anymore.

Knowing it's going to be a reissue will probably knock the model off my short list. The model show I went to last week had the sprint cars in the 10-15 dollar range. So paying double just for some new decals isn't all that appealing to me.

Edited by ra7c7er

OK, according to the HobbySpot HeavenLightHobbies board, the Orange Crate WILL have a newly tooled plastic hood (Cheers!) and the Kinser sprint car kit will have NO new tooling, just new decals. (Jeers!)

I was wondering about this very thing! I have one of the reissues with the resin hood. Wonder if an injected hood will be much better?

Regarding the wrecker, note that the upcoming new release is indicated as a GMC and has a GMC grille. The previous issue was a Chevy, was it not?

It was a GMC...was last issued in the '90s, boxart pictured earlier in this thread.

Edited by Rob Hall

It was a GMC...was last issued in the '90s, boxart pictured earlier in this thread.

Nope. Take another look. It's a Chevy grille ~~ but no name or bowtie.

I checked my stash and found two previous issues (including the same one depicted previously in this thread) ~ one molded in white, the other in orange.

Both were packaged as "Wrecker Truck" only and have no reference to Chevy or GMC, both have no brand call-out on the instructions, and both have Chevy grilles with no name or bowtie engraving. The hoods and fenders do not have Chevy or bowtie or GMC engraving. The decal sheets make no reference to either brand. And, nowhere on either box is the typical language saying 'Chevrolet' 'Chevy' or 'GMC' is a registered trade mark of GM ... etc.

Interesting that now the same kit is being reissued and marketed openly as a GMC.

Is licensing getting easier?

Be still my beating heart.

B)

Nope. Take another look. It's a Chevy grille ~~ but no name or bowtie.

I checked my stash and found two previous issues (including the same one depicted previously in this thread) ~ one molded in white, the other in orange.

Both were packaged as "Wrecker Truck" only and have no reference to Chevy or GMC, both have no brand call-out on the instructions, and both have Chevy grilles with no name or bowtie engraving. The hoods and fenders do not have Chevy or bowtie or GMC engraving. The decal sheets make no reference to either brand. And, nowhere on either box is the typical language saying 'Chevrolet' 'Chevy' or 'GMC' is a registered trade mark of GM ... etc.

Interesting that now the same kit is being reissued and marketed openly as a GMC.

Is licensing getting easier?

Be still my beating heart.

B)

Interesting..I have the previous issue in my stash, but haven't seen it in probably 10 years or more..from the pic of the previous release, it looks more like a GMC grille...(maybe missing the badge?)

I forgot about the '62 Vette! That one was announced as a plastic kit and subsequently dropped, wasn't it?

If you look closely at both the (diecast) 62 Corvette body and the Smokey/Bandit body, there are some very thick sections in their respective bodies, especially in front. Those thick sections would play havoc if shot in styrene; those areas would end up with terrible sink marks. Styrene needs to be shot with the fewest possible changes in part thickness. That alone probably precludes them being shot in styrene without investing in completely new body tools (with other ancillary parts probably necessary). People here complain enough about anything they feel is wrong, and you can be sure that ginormous sink marks would create 10 + pages of entertainment value on this forum.