Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/12 Mustang GT500 now on Revell`s site

Hawk312

Such as........?

A really accurate E-Type Series II Coupe. With Tilt nose, opening doors and hatch. Even similar parts count to this would be a visual feast and allow us detail freaks to scratch the rest.

How come model car technology has not embraced the much sharper-defined slide mold tech of aircraft and armor? The old 'too expensive' BS?

A really accurate E-Type Series II Coupe. With Tilt nose, opening doors and hatch. Even similar parts count to this would be a visual feast and allow us detail freaks to scratch the rest.

How come model car technology has not embraced the much sharper-defined slide mold tech of aircraft and armor? The old 'too expensive' BS?

And without the side seams. As for the opening hatch, Bandai's rare and megabucks 1/12 kit had it. Don't know how accurate the rest is. Harry did a nice job on opening the hatch on his (still unfinished) Monogram kit.

I still want an accurate 1/12 or 1/8 kit of the 300 SL Gullwing and Ferrari 275 GTB.

Edited by sjordan2

I would assume so. Model car builders are notorious cheapskates compared to armor builders. Armor builders will pay for a quality kit, car builders generally complain if a kit costs upwards of 30 bucks! (Not all of them, of course... but the majority). A lot of that stems from the fact that car models used to be aimed at kids, and carried "kid friendly" price tags, while armor kits always have been more expensive and aimed more at adults. So the car model guys remember when kits were just a few bucks, got used to the low prices, and now they expect today's technology at yesterday's prices. The manufacturers know that price is the deciding factor for many car modelers (more important than kit quality or accuracy) and they act accordingly.

Armor builders, on the other hand, are used to paying higher prices (and are willing to). So they get accurate kits engineered with the latest molding technology while the "Yikes, that kit costs $30" crowd gets models along the lines of what they've told the manufacturers they're willing to pay.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw it at my LHS for $62 when I was there Tuesday, I might get it because it's different and the price is median for a 1/12 (unlike $120 for that 1/12 32 Duece reissue, Jesus!!), but something tells me I shoud wait for Michaels to get it in ( AFTER 3 FRACKIN YEARS THAT IS!! (LOL :lol: ) and use a 40-50% off on it, because if i get now and they have it later on i'll be peed off over it!

• 5 years later...

I saw it at my LHS for $62 when I was there Tuesday, I might get it because it's different and the price is median for a 1/12 (unlike $120 for that 1/12 32 Duece reissue, Jesus!!), but something tells me I shoud wait for Michaels to get it in ( AFTER 3 FRACKIN YEARS THAT IS!! (LOL :lol: ) and use a 40-50% off on it, because if i get now and they have it later on i'll be peed off over it!

Who makes the 1/12 scale '32 Ford reissue? 

I can't think of a '32 reissue in that scale but I know Revell has their 1/8 scale one, and $112 isn't bad for that, all the ones I've seen have been in the $125 zone for MSRP.