Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 25 T Double Kit

djway3474

Well it will be cool when done but inbetween is Flash flash and more flash. the drivers side of the bucket has a weird shaped glob so thick that the tuck n roll would not go in all the way. Gave me something to do grinding for 20 minutes. But thats is modeling right?

Even with the flash I am VERY glad to have the kit

Dwayne , was that the 1st 1925 Model T with the Chopped coupe or the tall one that just recently showed itself ? I have a Chopped , the one that came in a cardboard box , no problems . I also was on hand to see a Tin Box issue , no problems there too.

Cranky, this may be an issue with the Tall Model T's that just came out using the 1965 art work .

Ed Shaver

This is the new double kit with the tall t and bucket very cool box art and the usual little perks they have been including lately I was just suprised by the quality of some of the parts compared to what they have been doing lately still a good modeler can fix all that

I've built the chopped version. Not a bad kit, but had a lot of parts I didn't use because they just didn't look right. The front axle with is horrible. This kit looks as though it has the same sprues in it. I want that tall "T" body but don't really care for a "T" bucket. I just might go resin.

Ken

Has anyone ever tried bashing this with the other '25 T kit? I'm thinking of using the closed cab with the pickup bed from the other kit. I'm just wondering how well the parts from one fit on the other, I assume they share some of the same tooling.

Making a stock coupe by cutting off the molded deck and subsituting the stock turtle deck should be a very workable proposition, though. I'm still kicking around that idea with the chopped verision- I dont think I've ever seen a fendered, chopped T hot rod model. Done right, such a build would look very cool.

Is this the kit that builds two complete models? I'm not much for anything below 1946,but this is something different that I might could get into.

Yes it does.

Also I got mine yesterday and it is kinda funny that some of the parts from both chopped and stock coupe kits were found in the Buyers Choice kit from several yrs ago.

The front axle in this kit is a '37 Ford tubular unit, which Ford installed on V8-60 powered cars. It can be built without the wire axle all the way though it with a bit of work--try 1/16" brass rod for stub axles, with a thin "plate" of Evergreen styrene (I'm thinking .020" sheet stock here, mounted to the outside of the backing plates on the axle (file the outer sides of the "backing plate" on the axle smooth, thin it down a bit, to make a true and flat surface, glue on a disc of .020" stock, drill a 1/16" hole in that, in the center, use a bit of JB Weld epoxy to hold the brass axle stub in place?

As for the idea of a closed cab pickup: There really isn't any model kit that has a correct '25-early '27 T closed cab in it, BUT AMT did tool up a C-cab for the "Fruit Wagon" version of this same '25 T double kit, about 1966. If memory serves me right, Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland did repop that C-cab unit in resin at one point, may still have it available. Won't hurt to ask!

On another note, I know that for many modelers (particularly if you are under the age of 60!) are not aware that this series of kits first appeared about this time in 1961--50 years ago. It represents one of the best, most popular model car kits of that era, but it also shows how primitive some of them were by 21st Century standards. Still, with a bit of modeling work, neat models can be done from it still.

Art

Making a stock coupe by cutting off the molded deck and subsituting the stock turtle deck should be a very workable proposition, though. I'm still kicking around that idea with the chopped verision- I dont think I've ever seen a fendered, chopped T hot rod model. Done right, such a build would look very cool.

That molded in deck IS stock for a 1925 T. Only the 1922 and older coupes had separate turtle decks.

The front axle in this kit is a '37 Ford tubular unit, which Ford installed on V8-60 powered cars. It can be built without the wire axle all the way though it with a bit of work--try 1/16" brass rod for stub axles, with a thin "plate" of Evergreen styrene (I'm thinking .020" sheet stock here, mounted to the outside of the backing plates on the axle (file the outer sides of the "backing plate" on the axle smooth, thin it down a bit, to make a true and flat surface, glue on a disc of .020" stock, drill a 1/16" hole in that, in the center, use a bit of JB Weld epoxy to hold the brass axle stub in place?

\

I tried that on an earlier build of the 'Buyer's Choice' issue of the roaster-only kit, and it works pretty well- it also opens the door to cleaing up the nasty mold seams on the backing plates.

That molded in deck IS stock for a 1925 T. Only the 1922 and older coupes had separate turtle decks.

That's correct, but to me, the molded turtle deck looks kind of stumpy. I tried fitting the chopped coupe body to the stock floor/fender unit, and you'd need to either trim the floor or extend the deck. To me, it just didn't look right with the shorter, molded deck on the fender unit.

Chuck, here's a pic, rear 3/4 shot, of a '25 T Coupe (stock). The rear deck of the Tall T body looks pretty good to me. Keep in mind, a Model T Ford isn't a very large car (100" wheelbase), in fact the same width, wheelbase and overall length as the original VW Beetles (Dr Ferry Porsche used the Model T as his dimensional parameters when laying out the orginal Volkswagen--bit of trivia for you).

Art