Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1934 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental?

Cato

Cato; If this release is the same as the old revell issue; I did buiold this one years (decades) ago....The old version was very finicky.....lots of ill fitting parts....hinges abd such were just way out of scale....no matter how much effort went into it; it was still lipstick on a pig...not alot of support in 1/16 like nice wire wheels and such....just My 2 cents about the model..........hope it helps........Matt

Thanks Matt and Rudy-exactly what I was looking for.

If Matt is correct and the kit has those problems-they are fixable at least, with a good amount of work. That's what the builder Rudy has shown accomplished-which means I could salvage it to a higher level than it comes. I was basically hoping for accurate dimensions, content and proportions. Working latches is a little beyond my skill and desire set but the rest is very do-able.

Thanks.

I have a few of the original issue waiting to be built, plus massive reference material. The biggest challenge I've heard about is that the ride height is way too high and needs to be lowered. The late Martin Swire said the whole suspension needs dropping 3.5MM to get the stance looking right. His build journal was illuminating...

http://cs.scaleautom...732.aspx#501732

This kit is based on a car formerly owned by PII expert Raymond Gentile, then in The San Diego Collection.Don't know where it is now. Please contact me for whatever information you may need. Here's just the tip of the iceberg from my files on Phantom IIs...

RRPII-Gentile.png

RRPII1934RevellOrigcopy.jpg

2057_rollssidecopy.jpg

2057_rollsrear.jpg

2057_rollsgrill.jpg

Some more shots...

Edited by sjordan2

As I recall, the doors are separate but you have to make your own hinges.

Isn't that the old Renwall kit?

So I've heard. If so, it's the most accurate and detailed kit they ever made. I've never seen the Renwal boxing. Nothing at all like the abominable Renwal 1/12 Ferrari 275GTB and Mercedes Gullwing.

Edited by sjordan2

Many thanks Skip for the detailed help and links. I will surely contact you if I get going on this.

You are the Archive Maven!

I would also recommend looking at the Rolls gallery at modelmotorcars.com and getting the free download of the Pocher Sedanca instructions there. That kit isn't perfect, but it's almost like having a Rolls parts manual.