Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone have info on this kit? Revell 250 GTO from 1988

Scroll halfway down this page. It is a Revell AG re-release of an Italeri kit, which should also be covered earlier on the same page.

http://www.italianhorses.net/DB/250%20Series.htm#250%20GTO%20Series%20I

"Revell re-pack of the Italeri kit. Kit has different decal sheet, with racing stripes and numbers (not the best quality) and instruction sheet. Out of production, but still available on many auction sites. Prices are higher than other Revell re-issues, close to original Italeri kit."

ITALERI KIT REVIEW:

"If you are looking for a full detail GTO kit, and can't find Gunze 250 GTO with engine kit, this is the next best thing to get. Italeri's GTO is an excellent and very detailed kit, but unfortunately, not flawless. Kit shares several major parts with other 250-series kits in Italeri's lineup (SWB, Cal Spyder), which include same heavy looking wheels and tires. Body proportions are quite accurate, but body requires some mold lines and flash cleanup. Many parts of the kit are plagued with pin marks and sink holes (typical for Italeri kits of the period though), and will benefit from careful filling and sanding. Kit has detailed engine and transmission that attach to excellent chassis frame with full suspension. Parts fit is good. Decals are very crisp and nicely registered, but chrome parts are slightly on a heavy side. Instruction drawings are misguiding at times, but good overall. Kit is long out of production, and due to the fact that it is a base for several GTO-related transkits, is getting hard to find."

This information is from Alex Kustov, the leading authority on 1/24-25 plastic Ferrari kits. You should follow his build journals (though not for this kit) at www.itailanhorses.net, where you will also find some superb tutorials.

In addition, he has created a fairly comprehensive catalogue of Ferrari kits -- click on the name of the car you're interested in, and you will get a page of listings and reviews on a multitude of kits:

http://www.italianhorses.net/DB/db.htm

Edited by sjordan2

That Monogram 250 GTO/LM is a very different beast from the 250 LM that Academy makes.

The 250 GTO LM is the 1964 version of the front-engined 250 GTO. The Climax kit is now available from Model Factory Hiro.

The 250 LM is a mid-engined design, and only available in the fairly mediocre Academy kit in styrene. I thought it was an ugly looking beast until I saw the Ralph Lauren car in an exhibition last year. It's not.

The best way to get a decent-shaped 250 LM is probably to start with the Burago diecast and go to town on that. It's a lot cheaper than the MFH resin one, that's for sure!

bestest,

M.

Scroll halfway down this page. It is a Revell AG re-release of an Italeri kit, which should also be covered earlier on the same page.

http://www.italianhorses.net/DB/250%20Series.htm#250%20GTO%20Series%20I

"Revell re-pack of the Italeri kit. Kit has different decal sheet, with racing stripes and numbers (not the best quality) and instruction sheet. Out of production, but still available on many auction sites. Prices are higher than other Revell re-issues, close to original Italeri kit."

ITALERI KIT REVIEW:

"If you are looking for a full detail GTO kit, and can't find Gunze 250 GTO with engine kit, this is the next best thing to get. Italeri's GTO is an excellent and very detailed kit, but unfortunately, not flawless. Kit shares several major parts with other 250-series kits in Italeri's lineup (SWB, Cal Spyder), which include same heavy looking wheels and tires. Body proportions are quite accurate, but body requires some mold lines and flash cleanup. Many parts of the kit are plagued with pin marks and sink holes (typical for Italeri kits of the period though), and will benefit from careful filling and sanding. Kit has detailed engine and transmission that attach to excellent chassis frame with full suspension. Parts fit is good. Decals are very crisp and nicely registered, but chrome parts are slightly on a heavy side. Instruction drawings are misguiding at times, but good overall. Kit is long out of production, and due to the fact that it is a base for several GTO-related transkits, is getting hard to find."

This information is from Alex Kustov, the leading authority on 1/24-25 plastic Ferrari kits. You should follow his build journals (though not for this kit) at www.itailanhorses.net, where you will also find some superb tutorials.

In addition, he has created a fairly comprehensive catalogue of Ferrari kits -- click on the name of the car you're interested in, and you will get a page of listings and reviews on a multitude of kits:

http://www.italianhorses.net/DB/db.htm

It definitely does not look like the reboxed PROTAR kit as currently offered. I agree that it looks like the Italeri 250 GTO. I have the Italeri kit downstairs if you need a comparison. Revell AG also did other Italeri kit reboxes such as the 275 GTB's.

Alex's site has fantastic info, hope he's doing well, don't see him to often these day!

Has anyone had both the Fujimi 250 GTO kit and Gunze 250 GTO kit, to compare against each other?

I have the Gunze, but not the Fujimi, and curious to know if better & how?

Thanks

I don't have both to hand, but I think the consensus is that if you don't have a 250 GTO kit already, then the Fujimi is the one to go out an buy. The shape is better than the Gunze (and the MFH, according to Tom Tanner) -- I know, for example, since I HAVE built the Gunze, that the rear wheel arches on it have more angular "corners" than the the real thing, which is a smooth semicircular curve. However, if you HAVE a Gunze kit, especially if you have the full on version with the white metal engine, then you have a superb set of wire wheels that are way better than the Fujimi ones, which you'd have to pay a LOT of money for in the aftermarket. The Fujmi has a full engine, which my Gunze kit (actually an Airfix rebox) didn't. Although, oddly, the Airfix rebox of the Gunze E-type DOES have the white metal engine, and very nice it looks too.

In the end, I think if you've got a Gunze kit, especially if it's the full-detai version, then there's no need to buy a Fujimi one. The wheel arches could be fixed pretty easily if you start with a bare body shell (I didn't find out until after mine was painted and there was no way I was starting all over...)

bestest,

M.

I don't have both to hand, but I think the consensus is that if you don't have a 250 GTO kit already, then the Fujimi is the one to go out an buy. The shape is better than the Gunze (and the MFH, according to Tom Tanner) -- I know, for example, since I HAVE built the Gunze, that the rear wheel arches on it have more angular "corners" than the the real thing, which is a smooth semicircular curve. However, if you HAVE a Gunze kit, especially if you have the full on version with the white metal engine, then you have a superb set of wire wheels that are way better than the Fujimi ones, which you'd have to pay a LOT of money for in the aftermarket. The Fujmi has a full engine, which my Gunze kit (actually an Airfix rebox) didn't. Although, oddly, the Airfix rebox of the Gunze E-type DOES have the white metal engine, and very nice it looks too.

In the end, I think if you've got a Gunze kit, especially if it's the full-detai version, then there's no need to buy a Fujimi one. The wheel arches could be fixed pretty easily if you start with a bare body shell (I didn't find out until after mine was painted and there was no way I was starting all over...)

bestest,

M.

that's true Matt, I have every one of the kits, except for the Fujimi kit, which I'll probably just need to go ahead and get anyways!? :)

I have them all and Matt is on the button. Go for the Fujimi. If you have the Italieri (Testor's also released a version), it is a good start if you don't want to go for a nother kit. There is also a lot of aftermarket for the Fujimi 250 GTO, including wire wheels to enhance it. The MFH kit, besides being expensive, has some shape issues and a very "solid" body that would preclude opening up anything not already open (assuming you wanted to that).

The Protar (current and coming Revell reissue) has opening everything, a decent engine, OK tires, but a way too squared off rear end that would need considerable work.

Hi, Alan!

What you have here, is the Revell Germany reissue of the Italeri 250 GTO. I have built this kit 3 times and I think it has the best proportions - at least till the Fujimi has been released. I also have the Revell (ex-Protar), the new Fujimi and the Gunze (Curbside version).

All in all, Fujimi's only fault in my opinion are the avon tires - they should have made Dunlop racing.

Apart from the clumsy tires, the Italeri/Revell GTO will greatly benefit from slightly lowering the stance.

(Stock ride height is almost like a SUV) - other than that, it comes out really nice - enjoy the kit!

Greetings from Austria

Helmut

Alex's site has fantastic info, hope he's doing well, don't see him to often these day!

Has anyone had both the Fujimi 250 GTO kit and Gunze 250 GTO kit, to compare against each other?

I have the Gunze, but not the Fujimi, and curious to know if better & how?

Thanks

http://modelcarshirobom.syanari.com/029-250gto/250gto.html

The order for the pictures is Gunze, Italeri, Revell and Fujimi.

Those are box artwork, not the models themselves BTW

I have all of those now anyways

Ah... you have to click "on to the comparison", the link near the bottom of the page, right above the back button.

Ah... you have to click "on to the comparison", the link near the bottom of the page, right above the back button.

Okay, I did not see that, I will go look, Thanks!

Now that I have the Fujimi kit, I have all of them in comparison, but then I never leave anything 'box stock' anyways!

• 1 month later...