Model Cars Magazine Forum

2015 Chevelle Concept now Under Glass

customsrus

Well I did a little work, not much but a little. I redid the exhaust tips and made them square. I hope you guys like them. They may have to grow on me. I put a picture of the round exhaust to to compare. I also added a lip to the lower valance. Thanks for looking.

IMG_1074-vi.jpgIMG_1091-vi.jpg

Maybe its just me but I like the way the square pipes go with the tail lights,looks better than the round pipes.

I think the squared up exhaust tips look good actually. If you remember the 70 Chevelles had rectangular-ish exhaust tips so I think these fit nicely. The only thing I might suggest is just shaving them so the follow the upward angle of the lower roll pan but other than that... awesome stuff!!!

I think the squared up exhaust tips look good actually. If you remember the 70 Chevelles had rectangular-ish exhaust tips so I think these fit nicely. The only thing I might suggest is just shaving them so the follow the upward angle of the lower roll pan but other than that... awesome stuff!!!

Agreed, the tips are great, but should be angled slightly. Keep up the good work.

I actually like the two tail lights myself.

I'd suggest painting some masking tape with primer and cover one of the tail lights and take a picture and post the two photos for comparison. Another thought I know you already reworked the exhaust but how about mimicing the shape of the tail lights.

Just a thought.

Keep up the good work.

bobthehobbyguy

Edited by bobthehobbyguy

How about none of the above? Since this is to be a 2015 car, large modern tail lights might be in order. I'm thinking large 68-69 Chevelle type tail lights that wrap around the top and side rear corners by maybe 2" or 3" so they function as side markers. Other designs will work, of course, but that's just a quick idea that will quickly identify it as a Chevelle. The rear bumper would need to be smoothed, moved down and out a bit (look at the rear ends of the most recent Caprice and Impala for the style rear bumper treatment I'm thinking of), which may match the front end a little better.

Just a quick thought.

I like the look of the 4 taillights as the 71-73 Chevelle Malibu's had 4 taillights but were round. The 64-68 taillights maintained a dual look and for the most part, rectangle shape from 66-68 and once again on the 70 model and squarish shape from 64-65 which was brought back with a modern twist on the 69 model year. All the Chevelle Malibu's retained 4 headlights until 1971 when they went with a dual headlight setup and that was also the first year they went with 4 taillights. In 1974 they ended up with a very defined rectangle shape and they stayed that way til the day they killed the big bodied Chevelle Malibu in 1978 going with the smaller Malibu's which remained deep into the 80's.

If your trying to take styling cues from several years of Chevelle Malibu, then the 4 taillight setup works awesome with the 4 headlight setup and balances the front and rear of the car nicely. The only thing I am against here, is the use of the Camaro taillights as it is indicative to the Camaro itself and shouldnt be shared with another GM muscle car especially from the same family. Just my opinion. Maybe shorten and lengthen the taillights to more resemble the 68ish style of go more rounded like the 71-73. I jus think that parts were not lent from one car to another back then (Camaro parts on a Chevelle Malibu) but know that there is some parts that have crossed over here on this build but something like the tail and headlights should be left specific to each model.

Either way.... I love this build!!! Awesome work.

Here's a good link to view the different styles through the years. http://www.yogisinc....cat/cat2882.htm

I seen Psychographic helped you out with a little Photoshop action so I figured I jump in this pool. Whaddya think?

1971-72 Taillights

chevelle.png

1970 taillights widened

chevelle2.png

1965 taillights with the inner one just a duplicate of the outter one mirrored.

chevelle3.png

1970 taillights shortened and stretched the outters. The inners shortened and removed the reverse lights as well as mirrored them from the outters.

chevelle4u.png.

Edited by Johnny Racer

The round tail lights make it look sort of like the back of a Corvair, no ?

I can see what your saying but the actually taillights are different from those of a Corvair and we featured on the 71-74 Chevelle Malibu's. See Corvair taillights were protruding and the Chevelle Malibu's were just the opposite. I toyed with ovaling them out buuuuuuuuuuuuuut... then they look way to much like a current Vette with 4 of em.

I personally like the 70 taillights widened and possibly shortened. Think it gives it a uniquely Chevelle Malibu modern look without being to "weird" is that makes sense. LOL

Oh and if I forgot to mention it before... most definitely the square or more rectangularish exhaust tips!!!

Edited by Johnny Racer