Model Cars Magazine Forum

City Chevrolet Lumina

dencon

I built this when the kit first came out back 1990. I was at the Phoenix race in 89 when they were shooting the movie and had this car in the race. I had no idea who it was at the time. But i thought the car was so cool looking. I got a few shots of it that day. Nothing real good. But right at that time. I wanted to build a model of it. Then the movie came out and I got what that car was. I wondered why it was going into the pits all of the time. (Camera reload)

So when Monogram announced that the first Laguna kit was going to be this one. I got it the day it came out. I found that the decal colors were off though. The Yellow in the decals was more like a mustard color. So in the time I was building it. Monogram sold enough of the first run to start a second run with corrected decal colors pretty quick. good thing I bought another kit that came from the second run before I got to the decaling of this car. So the look was even better.

I painted it with the yellow and green from the Testors Neon bottle sets. I use a Badger Model 150 to do the fade and I cleared it with Tamaya Clear. After 20 years. it is still one of my favorite models on the shelf.

Copyofpreshow015.jpg

preshow017.jpg

preshow014.jpg

Edited by dencon

Thanks Dave,

It is hard to believe that this movie came out 20.5 years ago. WOW! This is just about my favorite stock car. Something about it. From that time I saw it racing at the 89 Phoenix. Before I knew it was a movie car. I liked it. If I had allot of money, I would love to buy/restore a 90 Lumina NASCAR "Correctly" to circa 1990 and paint it like this car. It seems that the 90 sheet metal,noses & rear bumper are no where to be found. Even the restored one that Hendrick Motorsports restored is WAY OFF and incorrect for 1990.

post-2604-12602453559174.jpg

restored

2941008081_f16ec4e924_b.jpg

too funny....I was expecting to see an old Chevy "Laguna" decked out with the City Chevrolet paint scheme. B)

still, nice car! :lol:

Yea, sorry about that. i do not know why we cannot correct or edit the titles on our posts like you can on other message boards.

Yea, sorry about that. i do not know why we cannot correct or edit the titles on our posts like you can on other message boards.

You can. Go to your original post & select the edit option; it will display the text box and the topic box; make changes & then select the submit button. It will change your original topic header the same as it will change your post text.

BTW - It used to be more complicated, but I think the recent "upgrades" in board software included a simplification.

Edited by Danno

You can. Go to your original post & select the edit option; it will display the text box and the topic box; make changes & then select the submit button. It will change your original topic header the same as it will change your post text.

BTW - It used to be more complicated, but I think the recent "upgrades" in board software included a simplification.

Thanks

Edited by dencon

• 3 months later...