Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lee Petty 1959 Oldsmobile

jjsipes

I am looking for reference pictures for the 1959 Oldsmobile that Lee Petty drove to the 1959 Daytona 500 victory. I have found the picture of it in the Petty musuem but would like to have reference of the engine and interior. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1.jpg

Usually if you base your model on the museum car it will not be accurate. It's better to find photos of the real car when building a model of a vintage nascar racer. I am building a model right now that the sponsors are wrong on the museum car as well as the contengencies and even the color of the car is wrong. The color of the numbers is also wrong. Luckily I found colored pictures of the real car.

• 1 month later...

Got my resin body off evilbay and it only came with bare resin bumpers so I placed an order with Modelhaus. Chrome bumpers look great. Also got there interior tub, pretty shallow but then again it seems all the older interiors were shallow in the model kits. Got the decals as well off evilbay. Just need to get the time to work on it, hard to find time with a 2 month old to take care of.

0228111659.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is going to be really interesting build. NASCAR is "Number Two Motorsport", right after DragRacing... These oldies are always very nice and I like to watch these resin bodies being built. I must get that Hudson Hornet when it comes to Modelexpress and build it to NASCAR racer...

• 2 weeks later...

This one just won the prestigious Alan Kulwicky award tonight at the NNL 19 in Waukesha/Milwaukee, WI.

med_gallery_5771_306_25872.jpg

Thats a nice looking model makes me want to get going on mine but need to find the time with a 4 month old daughter. Not much time. I just picked up a 1960 Impala for a donor for the chassis.