Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher 1907 FIAT 1/8th

Pocherphile

PS: I have built this kit as the Star of India.......the coach work alone was the reason I said I would not approach this kit again. This is what I believe too be the most complex coach of all the Pocher kits to get right.

I can't believe you have no pics of this or your other Pochers........

I can't believe you have no pics of this or your other Pochers........

Sadly Cato, I do not.......Star of India was built 1980..........I did not have any idea of what a computer was and though I was a avid 35mm photographer, I never once thought my work worthy of photographs........now I look back and see how dumb it was to have all this photo equipment and never once thought to take any pictures of my builds. But if ever you are in Bamberg Germany, most of the local Hobby Shops had and were left w/built kits on display from me to include a FIAT in a Bank and a Benz @ a dealership. If still there, I know not........but that's where I left them. I have also built on consignment and never once thought to photograph any of them either.......dah :huh: But you can bet your sweet bippy, I take pictures now. You already saw the tear down/re-build ALFA and that was when I started posting on Forums. There are 2 kits that to this day stand out in my mind as the most challenging and difficult to construct..........Pocher Star of India and the Has 1/8th SE5A..........when you have built these two, the mountain now comes to you. -_-

Rick

Edited by Pocherphile

What I am looking to do w/the FIAT...............Vincenzo Lancia, 1905 Vanderbilt Cup Race. Lead the entire race w/2 laps to go. Collided w/Christie, finished 4th.

I would build the Fiat like #3 pic . with aluminium Body and exhaust soot on the hood.-still working on gettin mine on line.............

did you notice one of the pipes gave out on the hood from too many belches of flame ? [#2 cylinder]

by the way -from what ive read-Lancia was a Madman-seen polishing off a bottle of Chanpaigne in the wee morning hours before boarding his car for the race.theres a great book about the early cars and races by Ken Miles Called ''kings of the road'' sells for cheap on line and a Fantastic read on all of the cars we are building here.

Edited by f1ford48

I would build the Fiat like #3 pic . with aluminium Body and exhaust soot on the hood.-still working on gettin mine on line.............

did you notice one of the pipes gave out on the hood from too many belches of flame ? [#2 cylinder]

by the way -from what ive read-Lancia was a Madman-seen polishing off a bottle of Chanpaigne in the wee morning hours before boarding his car for the race.theres a great book about the early cars and races by Ken Miles Called ''kings of the road'' sells for cheap on line and a Fantastic read on all of the cars we are building here.

The 3 photos are of Lancia's FIAT, the 3rd photo shows the car before being issued it's race number, the other two photos show it w/#4 on the car. This is the one I am shooting for. Yes, he was way outside the box and a wildman behind the wheel and well liked by all who came to know him. I will for sure look for the book. I read where in this machine he led the whole race, would collide w/Christie driving his monster creation the Christie, otherwise he would have won the race.

Rick B)

yes-after a pit stop for gas Lancias mechanic was screaming at him to wait .but he pulled out straight into Christies path. the American refused to give up his right of way.Christies car was destroyed,his mechanic catapulted into a field like a rag doll.a pair of damaged rear wheels on the Fiat took Lancia an hour to fix ,after he had spent a few minuites persuading the crowd not to tear him limb from limb for having wrecked Christie.

yes-after a pit stop for gas Lancias mechanic was screaming at him to wait .but he pulled out straight into Christies path. the American refused to give up his right of way.Christies car was destroyed,his mechanic catapulted into a field like a rag doll.a pair of damaged rear wheels on the Fiat took Lancia an hour to fix ,after he had spent a few minuites persuading the crowd not to tear him limb from limb for having wrecked Christie.

Down here in Dixie Land we say it ain't rac'in if you ain't rubb'in.........Dale Earnhart was the king of that tactic. Oh Boy, I bet that opens a can of worms. ;)

Rick :lol:

One of the enduring things about Pocher kits is the plastic.........until you play with a Pocher, you have no idea what tough plastic is too work with. I am using the roughest sanding stick I have, to work the plastic down to a square shape, this one frame will finish this stick off before I am done with it and still have the 2nd side frame to do. But hey, thats the nature of the beast and one has never bested me yet. :P

Will fire a order off tonight for some goodies from Scale Hardware, ie: square brass bolts and nuts to complete the areas that were left off during the process of cutting the molds for the frame work. I will also cut off and replace the completely inaccurate hood hold down strap points, these were not square handles like you would find on a barn door as Pocher has rendered them.

Will also order some #1 brass rivets.

Rick B)

And the fun/spending begins........oh the joy of building a Pocher!

Edited by Pocherphile

WOW -I figured with such a sophisticated kit you could just slap it together! now I am learning this is not so.

considering the weight that must be involved in the finished kit- they should have made the chassis parts brass-at least the axles.

WOW -I figured with such a sophisticated kit you could just slap it together! now I am learning this is not so.

considering the weight that must be involved in the finished kit- they should have made the chassis parts brass-at least the axles.

Thankfully, Model Motorcars does.

Sadly, no MMC's does not have replacement axles for the FIAT. The 1st FIAT I built was mounted on a board using the kit supports to help hold in place. I did not @ the time know these would support the weight of the car! 2nd FIAT was finished as a desk model, some years later was asked if something could be done about the sag the suspension was developing........by this time after building the 2nd one, I was aware of the problem........setting in direct sunlight will make this sag happen faster as well.

3rd kit built and was set on brass supports.......worked out nicely. It will be this type of support I again will make for this current FIAT to set on, supporting the car w/the weight off of the wheels/axels. I will say that using MMC's PE spring set might add support to help carry the weight, but to tell the truth, the ones that come in the kit are made from spring steel that has been hardened by bluing just like a firearm! So regardless, I will use support under the axels.

Rick

I am @ a quandary, I do not want to pop out another so so Fiat as comes in the box, then again, I also want to have the white tires, but to do this and order the stuff I need.........to include the spare tires and mounts..........$175.00 if I use what is readly available to build the all red F1 130 hp version. Now I can paint the tires white and Harry so kindly provided the name of the paint he uses and there are four tires in the kit, still need a front and a rear and to order them would be $50.00......then the mount set for the tires is $25.00 f/a total of $75.00. I have pretty much made up my mind to try to keep the additional cost of the build @ a reasonible amount.

I have already ordered the PE Grill guard from Germany and some goodies from Scale Hardware.

My delima.........do I build the VBC car or the F1......of which, what you get in the box is the F1 car.......remember, the VBC was only a 90 hp engine and the engine that comes in the kit is the 130 hp version!

And now back to the so so version as comes in the box, I have as yet to see one built as depicted on the set of tiles that were made to honor the victory for the car, research has show this to be exactly what the color of the car was, so if I do this version, I will be getting away from the same ole same ole everyone else has doen w/this kit (not that, that is a bad thing, I just do not want to build the same car I have done 3 times now), either way, I will be differant.

I know, I told you I was anal........thats what happens w/age! ;)

Rick B)

I truly understand your dilemma as I ponder similar choices in RR land. The $$ is nuts if you let it.

I agree with your final choice as what I'd probably do in your place. It may be boring to you the 4th time, but I know it will be a knock-out museum piece when you're done.

Keep the costs reasonable (so you can get a Sedanca :lol: :lol:) and you live to fight another day.

I truly understand your dilemma as I ponder similar choices in RR land. The $$ is nuts if you let it.

I agree with your final choice as what I'd probably do in your place. It may be boring to you the 4th time, but I know it will be a knock-out museum piece when you're done.

Keep the costs reasonable (so you can get a Sedanca :lol: :lol:) and you live to fight another day.

Either way Cato, I still have 2 Pocher kits in the wings now, albeit they both are ALFA's, a Spyder and a Monza (both are NIB). So I still have Pochers to build, just not one of those monster cars.......will admit, I am watching a certain kit to see where it goes. Thats why I do not want to spend a bundle on the FIAT. Not to mention a bid on a Itala and a whole flock of Hundson's! :huh:

Edited by Pocherphile

This will more than likely be the version I build now that I have decide again what I want to do with this what will probably be the last time I build this kit, just saw on one eBay f/$735.00 :angry: , just insane is all I can say for anyone to even think of spending that f/a Pocher FIAT kit. I know!

I have also found a complete discription of the colors f/the car I want to build and will follow closely the suggested mods and colors, I assure you, this will not be the norm FIAT you see built.

PS: For mod, will need to get a second hood............?

Look very close @ the photo of the hood and you will see a detail Pocher did not get right on the kit.

Rick

post-13366-0-68406000-1396112421_thumb.j

Edited by Pocherphile

Do you still have house privileges and is She even speaking to you??

Dah........lost that many moons ago, lets see, fishing tackle (Deep Sea type), 1911 45's severial, photo equipment, models...you name it types, and lets not forget good ole personal auto! I have to go when the dog goes out.............lol. :rolleyes:

Rick :(

Still grinding off plastic, the frame is very, very far from being square.......this is a area that will make itself known as you add the floor-board. I also am adding a few rivets to the frame.....using Scale Hardware RIVT-22-A, 2.2mm Die Formed Alum. These are perfect for working in 1/8th scale, I have in the past had brass round head rivets, but I just like these better. They appear more scale like, a round head looks like a carrage bolt and not a rivet as used in frames from this period. There are 4 locations on a Pocher FIAT frame that the rivets were not molded on the frame, so a very easy fix.

Also you will notice I have in a photo some of the hardware I use to construct.........I will use the hardware that comes w/kit, however, if I can replace the screw w/a scale nut/bolt, I will do so in a heart beat......learned this from a very good friend and a fellow Pocherphile....David Cox. If you can cut down on the screws and the little head aches that come w/them, then by all means do so. I like to use 0.90 nuts/bolts and 0.90 carrage bolts. This hardware is SS.

post-13366-0-10692700-1396203953_thumb.j

post-13366-0-92326400-1396203967_thumb.j

Edited by Pocherphile

This is where you're way ahead of me- I'm not conversant with what to use where in this scale.

But I'm writin' this stuff down. ;)

Oh contraire monfraire, just means I am ahead in the mistake curve. But you do have the right idea, glean from those who appear to know what they are doing............... :lol:...........sounds good away.

Finished truing the frame, some putty work and of course the rivets. Now, when building according to the way the designers intended, you need to paint the frame, have the engine completed and the radiator finished, then you join the frame w/all these components in place...........nah, thats not how I will do this little operation. As I stated, I want to build this as it looked when it won the race, check out the photo of the completed racer......notice what is red, what is not. There are a few areas that need correcting on this one as well and some of them I will carry out, simple fixs really. But this is what I am shooting for. So the frame can be joined w/o all the components as mentioned in place, except for the radiator and the petrol tank (Cato)..........

post-13366-0-78231500-1396274877_thumb.j

post-13366-0-02854900-1396274917_thumb.j