Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '55 Nomad half-reissue

62rebel

no pics needed.

it's the same '55 Nomad that's been there; well; except for the back of the rear seat. and ALL of the performance/custom parts. well; except for the drag front crossmember; it's still there.

none of the "El Camino" conversion parts are there; the rest of the tube front axle is gone; not even a second set of wheels or tires.

this might be the only '55 Nomad in circulation at the time, and as such, if you want a showroom stock one, you're in luck. the rest of the parts are actually pretty cleanly molded except for the chrome wheels; they have some flash issues that will pose trouble when cutting them off the sprue.

no wonder that RC2 didn't bother printing the box contents on the bottom of the box.

no, there are backing plates but the instructions call them out as intended for the rear axle; odd, considering that the rear axle is still on the chrome tree and the backing plates are not.... which, in a convoluted way, tells me that they may as well be used on the front.

the omission of the finish panel for the back seat aggravates me... duplicating that rear deck pattern on a piece of styrene isn't going to be easy. i'm tossing in the performance parts from the '55 sedan that i didn't use on the gasser.... and the better set of wheels as well. the front seat confuses me, since in the sedan AMT seemed to put in at least SOME effort to make it look presentable.

as a STOCK kit, it doesn't disappoint me that much. but, knowing what USED to come in the box, it ticks me off just a hair.

Since when is the back of the rear seat missing? I have a WIP from what I believe is the issue from the red box with the pastel green model, and it's missing from that one, too. I thought the kit is just incomplete.

Man, I wish they'd re-issue the 1/16 scale one, too.

Btw. I really like your phrase 'half-reissue'. Very funny and very appropriate. It should make it into popular folklore and used to slag the manufacturers.

Edited by Junkman

The front Brake drum backing plates & rear seat insert were lost when AMT tooled the body

& interior for the Sedan. Upon re-issuing the Nomad those part never returned.

I bought the "W-M Value-Decorated" aka Pro-Shop version of the Nomad and they

were not in the box.

Hopefully Round2 will get the notice about the missing parts and fix this kit soon.

Wasn't there a Boyds or Rides issue a few years ago also? I don't know how complete it was... I have the original issue and one from the '80s.

That had no stock tires (it might have had the stock wheel covers and inner wheels- NOT sure). It did have all stock and custom parts, it just had some really poorly done big-inch wheels included.

• 1 month later...

I was really pumped to put this model together. This is the Boyd Coddington model kit. But like you said, the rear panel of the back seat is missing and looks really retarded that way. I had some major fitting issues while assembling the body to the chasis and had to move the engine toward the front just enough that it made the the driveshaft not connect to the transmission. Needless to say I was pissed. Also had a very brittle king pin break while assembling the tie rod, but got it rigged up anyway. I had to get up and leave the kit several times so I wouldn't smash it to pieces. Overall the kit looks pretty good until you flip it over and see a non-functioning drive shaft.

I was really pumped to put this model together. This is the Boyd Coddington model kit. But like you said, the rear panel of the back seat is missing and looks really retarded that way. I had some major fitting issues while assembling the body to the chasis and had to move the engine toward the front just enough that it made the the driveshaft not connect to the transmission. Needless to say I was pissed. Also had a very brittle king pin break while assembling the tie rod, but got it rigged up anyway. I had to get up and leave the kit several times so I wouldn't smash it to pieces. Overall the kit looks pretty good until you flip it over and see a non-functioning drive shaft.

A little bit of sprue the same size as the drive shaft will fix that right up.

• 5 months later...

I just picked this up on a trade and I'm unfamiliar with it. Whenever I see this kit on a store shelf, the box always features a stock build up so I was a bit surprised to see the gasser parts and an optional El Camino style top for it.

As I don't see many build ups of this kit, so I figured I'd ask. Any quirks or problems with this kit I should know about before I start the planning process? Good, bad, ugly?

Thanks.

It's a real old tool but as you can see it's a notch above the typical amt of that time. The body definitely benefits from a good block sanding. If you're careful about test fitting and take the time to do all the cleanup necessary, it can build up pretty nice out of the box. I've never built one up with the gasser parts...they seem a little on the hokey side to me, but would probably be okay if you went the extra mile on them. I know I've used some of the parts to kitbash other gasser chassis together. I've never been a fan of the el camino roof but some have pulled it off alright, if you're into that.

I am currently working on one of these - mine is the "Johhny Lightening" version which has a small die-cast hot-wheels style version included in the box so I'm not sure if it is exactly the same as yours, but I think it is since it also includes the "El Camino" roof part and gasser front end as you mentioned.

I haven't started actually building it, it's still in the painting stage so I can't tell you too much yet.

But I did discover that the back for the rear seat seems to be missing in my kit.

Other than that, in my test-fitting of the various parts, all seems well with mine.

It's an old tool, but it has several features that I thought were neat touches: poseable steering, front height adjustable via kingpin placement, & IIRC, the tailgate swings down. I normally don't even bother with the "custom" body pieces on most old AMT kits because I think they're garish, but the custom grille on this is subtle yet effective.

OTOH, the engine looks slightly small (don't know if it actually is or not) and the chassis has a single, molded-in exhaust. If you're building the drag racer or a serious street car, you'll want to find a way to carefully remove that.