Model Cars Magazine Forum

Classic Plastic Update

Steve H.

I've been working steadily, just getting little stuff done. Finally have the stance set, as I finished the suicide spring hanger. I started working on engine mounts, but they'll be different than what you see in this pic. Looks like I need to clearance the firewall also!

PC170047-vi.jpg

Chopped the Revell 32 grill shell, still need to fit the grill itself.

PC170039-vi.jpg

Scratchbuilt deflated airbags...

PC140028-vi.jpg

Painted the resin whitewalls with wimbledon white and washed them with a light tan to bring out the lettering detail. The color is kind of exagerated (bad lighting) in this picture, but you get the idea...

PC170044-vi.jpg

The spring hanger is finished, I just forgot to take a final pic of it. This is the last rough stage before final finish. Still to do on this part of the frame... headlight mounts and recess the round fillet in the corner of the frame.

PC130026-vi.jpg

Hopefully, I'll get all the technical details wrapped up this week, so I can spend next week on paint and assembly. I've got the week after Xmas off and I'd love to wrap this one up in '06.

That is gonna be wicked!! Got a color in mind yet?

An idea for chopping the Revell Deuce rad shell and grille: When I did the one on this 5 window, I taped the grille in place, marked the cut lines with Tamiya tape, and cut it apart as an assembly. Once the grille was back together, I covered it with BMF and called it done.

32-5wcoupe-1.jpg

That is gonna be wicked!! Got a color in mind yet?

An idea for chopping the Revell Deuce rad shell and grille: When I did the one on this 5 window, I taped the grille in place, marked the cut lines with Tamiya tape, and cut it apart as an assembly. Once the grille was back together, I covered it with BMF and called it done.

32-5wcoupe-1.jpg

Oh sure... Now you tell me that! ;) My plan is to take the bottom off the grill and then lay in some fine square stryrene rod to replicate the bead that goes around the grill.

Color is going to be Rust-O-Leum Key lime (same as the rear end paint) with off white frame and interior

I like it, Steve! I like the tall front tires - they work well with the rake of the body, IMO. The paint work on the tires is a vast improvement that really picks up the sidewall detail. Front and rear suspension setups look great. I think your idea for the grille will work well (although I'll remember Monoped's method when I have to section one next time!) Key Lime - yum. ;)