Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beginner to Pro?

It's not a matter of being "good enough," if you do something that someone pays you to do, whether you're good at it or not, then you are a "pro" at whatever it is you'e being paid to do. There are "pro" athletes who aren't particularly good, there are teachers who aren't particularly good, there are lawyers that aren't particularly good, etc... but they're all "pros" at what they do.

If you build models for a living, if that's your profession, then you're a pro builder. But anything other than that... having some sort of honorary title of "pro" builder... is meaningless, because there's no measure or standard to identify someone as a "pro" builder. Anybody can call themselves a "pro" builder, and that's why the title is meaningless, unless you actually build models for a living, in which case you are technically a model building professional.

There are different definitions of "pro" depending on what you mean. In the days before CAD and 3d animation a friend of mine worked on cooling systems for nuclear power plants and built models of the finished systems to illustrate how the system was layed out. He built these industrial models for a job, he was a professional model builder. He also built model kits in his off time as a hobby. While his hobby kits were nice the builds he was proudest of were all of the scratchbuilt power plants he built at work.

On the hobby side "pro" usually means people pay you for your biulds. It is used very loosely, there is no application process to be allowed to use the term and no one checks behind you if you do.

When I made my living Racing Slot Cars I was a Pro Driver, I also built most of the Chassis The Team Ran so I guess I was also a pro Builder. Today The Title that I Would Chose to Use is Veteran Driver. I also Would rather be called a Veteran Model Builder as I don't ever sell any of my builds. The problem comes from Race and Model show Organizers that makes people like me enter so called pro classes! I don't even consider myself a pro Writer even though I get paid small amounts for my History Articles, I am an Amature Historian and Writer!

I guess we are still in reruns here as well, when do the new topics for the season begin :lol:

Myself like seeing the same subjest come up at different times. Gives the new people on here a chance to chime in and maybe a new persprctive on rge subject. I myself will never be called a pro as I neverwill be able to build something that good. It does make me try and improve on all my models though.

To be considered a "Pro" or professional builder, you must first must complete the 12 year apprenticeship program, then submit 4 models for review to the National Model Builders and Rivet Counters board, then fill out the 50 page application (assuming you have passed the board), write a 500 page thesis on your particular area of modeling expertise, complete the "Quest", answer the 5 riddles, and bring the still beating heart of a novice modeler to the acceptance ceremony. You will then receive your secret decoder ring and photocopied membership card in the mail in 4 to 6 weeks. Good luck! OR, you could just sell a model for money and add pro to your Ebay description to make more money. Either way, you're a pro!