Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adventures in soldering:Hot Rod Wrecker Project Update 2/1/15

• 3 weeks later...

If you wrote a book on this model, explaining each technique, I would buy it in a heartbeat. As it is, I'll be combing through and pulling all your explanations.

I'm glad I caught it at this time so I didn't have to wait for the progress you've made. Fantastic.

Hi Folks,

Thank you Clayton :) :)

Tony, Thank you !

Hi Terry, Thanks and it does work with the whole long an' low swept back style thing!

Thank you Tom !

Richard, Thanks for looking in my friend :)

Chris, Thanks, you are too kind !

Hi Brad, No paint for this one ! Busy on tarnish removal as the deadline approaches for DSC!!!

Randy.........I`m sooooo sorry that I totally forgot about this build.......this is just mind blowing........the scratch work on this is just simply secound to none.......I love this build soooooo much :wub: .........I can`t wait to see this in person next sat. at DSC........what a treat that will be :)

It was indeed a treat to see this in person. What a masterpiece in metal. Nice to meet you too Randy.

X2........Randy.... you are a terrific person.......I really enjoyed talking to you and finally seeing this beautiful build......what an AWESOME build.......I just loved it........hope to see you again next year
Edited by John Teresi

• 2 weeks later...

Randy - just went through the whole thread. Had not seen it yet. WOW. I now have a permanent case of bug eye. I have to go push them back in.

Questions : what size springs did you use for the coilovers? What did you use for the strap that holds the coil? I've read other builds where guys used tape to make a fan belt. Aren't you concerned that the paper might dry out and come loose or off in the future? And what do you do about the tarnishing you mentioned? Do you put a coat of car wax on the copper and brass?

Randy, you are truly a genius. The detail in your builds is something to aspire to achieve some day. I'm not blowing smoke either. This is just fantastic at any level and deserves all the praise heaped upon it and YOU! You must/should & will be proud of this work. Can't wait to meet you someday so I can pick your brains and get to know you personally. I truly look forward to your next update(s) Cheers my friend. Tim

I was privileged to see this build at DSC last month and again last weekend at GSL. It bankrupts the vocabulary. It is spectacular . . . and it has truly earned the word 'awesome!'

I didn't get much of a chance to talk with Randy at DSC and we were both so busy at GSL that we didn't get an opportunity to visit. But all the GSL attendees were blown away by Randy's wrecker and his GT40 project.