Model Cars Magazine Forum

GMC truck...1st timer

Im kinda tired after working on the nissan,but I did hit the model frame with some clear just to see how the green shines,but the frame in the pics is far from a finished product...I might abandon the stock model frame entirely and build from scratch..I still want to sand this one and smooth it all out and build on to it to see how my back half idea works

post-11400-0-65403300-1359852726_thumb.j

Never been a big fan of the slammed trucks but I will say you have great skills and I admire your work. Keep posting, we all can learn something if we pay attention.

thanks for the compliment..ive never tried my hands at a model..the last time I did I was 15,but not really into them then either ,but for right now I have a son who has no motivation except black ops 2..lol and im really doing this for him,so maybe he will see that its fun to build something regardless of what it is and have follow through to complete something other than ranking up in a video game..tried teaching him welding..he got burnt and never tried again..tried sports..tried a parenting class..lol..true story..,but this is a little for me too..I wanted to replicate my nissan HB in 1/24,but found out its discontinued..never had the model bug before,but I really might buy another model..not to sure on what i'll buy..lol..but ima buy another one for sure..plus its a lot cheaper than full sized builds..lol...since you have been a member for some time on here..do you have any tips..any are appreciated

here is one of my pics from my nissan build..no modeling tonight..im beat..spent way more time on nissan than expected
What a tease! That's all your gonna throw up there? Lets see this Nissan already...haha! If I was in Cali I'd be over there helpin ya out. If your boy doesn't want to learn how to weld you could teach me, I've only done some minor welding here and there. I would love to know how to weld/fab and work at a custom shop. I just don't know how to get my foot in the door. My pops owned an auto body shop just about all my life that I worked at but I was never allowed to do a lot cause I was the run-around clean up guy. I got the modeling bug a year or two ago and just been taking my time building, having fun. Right now I'm working on the 4 link and rear set up on my 49 Merc. Trying to get it to lay rocker. I'd like to do a truck next. If your looking for a Nissan model you should post something up in the wanted section. People are a big help on here and a lot of them have tons and tons of models so you might get lucky. Of not check out ebay. Might be discontinued but there has to be one out there somewhere. I searched a good year before finding someone who does a resin kit of the 85 blazer. Just keep searching, that's part of the fun.

If your interested here's a link to my 49 Merc build. I have to update the photos but you'll get the idea. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63010&st=0

the merc is gangster...seen your notch and makes me want to re-do mine and measure it this time around and make templates ..lol..yes I gotta copy that idea for the model..after seeing the merc ima take this build more seriously..lol

the merc is gangster...seen your notch and makes me want to re-do mine and measure it this time around and make templates ..lol..yes I gotta copy that idea for the model..after seeing the merc ima take this build more seriously..lol
Haha, go for it. I wasnt intending on getting so detailed but as I go on I can't help but think I can make it look 20 times better if I just take it that one step further.

Haha, go for it. I wasnt intending on getting so detailed but as I go on I can't help but think I can make it look 20 times better if I just take it that one step further.

I think I got it this time around..lol..gonna putty it and round the corners then smooth out and add 4 link...maybe more..I had a sick idea for engine mounts and turbo mount..plus I can make a FMIC out of left over parts and putty..to many ideas..gonna get it done for sure though..I channeled body and interior..thinking of smoothing the bed too??..I could go on and on,so..lol

post-11400-0-17616600-1359964177_thumb.j

post-11400-0-78263900-1359964180_thumb.j

post-11400-0-61481400-1359964184_thumb.j

post-11400-0-08441400-1359964188_thumb.j

I figured out how to make functional coil overs tonight too..I think I can work them into the rear suspension and still lay frame..not sure though,but time to start adding tubing to the frame where I want my design...maybe after work tomorrow..Ive gotta pass out..

looks good...would love to do that with the little dodge d50 truck I got...but that is way beyond my skill set...keep up the good work man

thanks bro...Im still shocked..lol..did you see my picaso...haha..thats the color I want..I think its on the bottom of the 2nd page

looks good...would love to do that with the little dodge d50 truck I got...but that is way beyond my skill set...keep up the good work man

dude the camaro is lookin sick..I'll try to make a solid bumper when I start wrapping this up if you havent found one buy then..lol..I use fiber glass a lot at work,so I will try to scale it down..just to attempt it

I got a few things done to the frame this morning..and I tried to make my 1st shaved firewall.Im going to cut the front frame down now to make the front suspension...I want to add a tubular design,but I just cant think of anything that will look right for this build...or just keep it traditional...dunno yet..but im liking how things are turning out..the coilovers looked goofy on the rear and when they would pinch I would have to pull back out the spring,so thats a no go on the rear..may work better on the front

post-11400-0-34003000-1360088268_thumb.j

post-11400-0-72997900-1360088272_thumb.j

post-11400-0-77921400-1360088276_thumb.j

post-11400-0-02100600-1360088280_thumb.j

post-11400-0-69637400-1360088285_thumb.j

post-11400-0-13197600-1360088290_thumb.j

post-11400-0-08303000-1360088294_thumb.j

post-11400-0-97507100-1360088299_thumb.j

post-11400-0-11654100-1360088305_thumb.j

its still far from finished..just want to get all scratch work out of the way before I start working on details..I got some thin wire to make fuel lines and found some black rubber strands to make air ride lines out of..going to putty frame and paint/detail it..detail the interior...oh yea I made a pillar pod,but I need to redo it..never done a model before this and its turning into a lot of fun