Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Favorite Car Of All Time

Fuel Coupe

I've decided to take the plunge and started where I left off in the ninties. I was building 2 cars for shows that were taken from me off a primer table at a Local show. One was the Twig Ziegler Pizza Heaven Satellite the other was an early version of Rich Guasco's Small Block Powered Altered "Pure Hell".

To me Rich's car (when I say car it ran the same chassis for 1964 to 1969) was what Altered racing was about. Granted The Marcellus/Borsch "winged Express" is the most recogozied cars but to me Pure Hell was different from the rest.

Its taken me 10 years to get over my cars being taken but Im back and better for it.

Thanks you for allowing me to post the build progress of one of my all time favorite cars in drag racing history.

PureHell2West.jpg

First I cut the side panels out of the chassis in order to repace them with aluminum sheet. The stuff I have is very thin and has been annealed so it is quite pliable. Next I changed the front suspension setup to run the front suspension set the car ran in '66 after it took a bath in a ditch at Fremont. Upon closer inspection I think I'll need to trim the grill shell a bit mor. I have already peaked the top of the shell and got rid of its "roundness"

dsc_04732.jpg

Next I started working on the front axle. Ive started with aluminum sheet, round tubing and brass rod to pin everything together. I cut the batwings for the radius rods and have those glued in place. If you note Ive put quite a bit of caster in the axle. there is a bit of camber too but Im probably going to take some of that out.

DSC_0474.jpg

DSC_0475.jpg

Thats it for today, sorry Im just getting back to it so alot of what you see was built two and three times today :lol:

Let me know what you think and any and all comments are welcome...

Edited by TxRat

Today I got a little more done on the front axle. I built the spindles for it.

Using thin aluminum I bent up the spindles and drilled them for the kingpins which will be trimmed down later.

DSC_0476.jpg

I then cut out steering arms and drilled them for RB motions bolts and nuts

DSC_0477.jpg

DSC_0478.jpg

heres the side panels I cut out very thin aluminum sheet.

DSC_0479.jpg

this stuff is called Maid o metal. Its very pliable and polishes up nice. Its soft enough to run a bead in without alot of effort..

Edited by TxRat

started on the back wheels. I cut the centers from the Bantam blast kit and used a set of unknown rims to complete the wheel

DSC_0480.jpg

Here they are as well as a set of 18" rims on the freshly completed axle...

DSC_0481.jpg

I got my Gibson small block today, I should start on it tomorrow...

Just gotta love that one!!! I have almost gathered everything to build this, and Pure Heaven, but have had it it for years, and still haven't done it yet. I guess I'm happy with the 1/18 Precision Miniatures replicas.... :lol: At least for now. Your doing a great job so far. I think those aluminum rims are from Detail Master.

started on the back wheels. I cut the centers from the Bantam blast kit and used a set of unknown rims to complete the wheel

DSC_0480.jpg

Here they are as well as a set of 18" rims on the freshly completed axle...

DSC_0481.jpg

I got my Gibson small block today, I should start on it tomorrow...

This is looking great so far! Are the front wheels & tires the ones from Slixx/Competition Resins? I want to do the Mike Sullivan Fiat gasser, but I need to get these larger diameter wheels. I"ll be following your build!

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for the lack of updates. I work alot of hours so it takes a while

So here is the chassis shot in Lacquer

DSC_0558a-vi.jpg

and heres the radius rods for one side

DSC_0557a-vi.jpg

I ran out of rod ends so I had to put in an order so I can finish up the radius rods. In the meantime I'll be building the Jacobs ladder for the front axle so stay tuned..

Great start on a great car, will be watching for progress!!!

Check out my fotki album for some more pics:

http://public.fotki.com/rlh5599/purehellandotheraltereds/

You probably have most of these pics, but who knows??

Thanks Man, Those are GREAT. There are a couple I do not have that help me with the build. THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...