Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 hot rod 240Z convertible. Flares, Sept. 30

Ace-Garageguy

Thanks to everyone for the interest and kind comments.

Do you have any flare development photos?

I haven't done the passenger side flares yet...wanted to work out the process on the one side first. I'll post WIP shots as they get done. The plan is to take molds off of the completed flares and make them in scale-thickness (or close, anyway) fiberglass.

Again, thanks for the interest. Anybody have a 1/12 289-302 Ford or a 1/12 modular 4.6-5.3 lying around needing a home? I've got a 1/12 Chevy smallblock but it's just too predictable.

Very kool project Bill. B) :)

Loving the body work so far, very well executed. And the idea of a small block Ford sure rings my bells. :) Just wish I could help with locating one for you. :(

You need to find someone parting out a new Mustang.... ;) that would be the gun.

Me, I'm going the easy way and slipping in the "predictable" Chev. I have one sitting here ready for when I get another 240... :D

Here's the trick to making flares. .010 styrene lips added to the original fender openings. Character lines in the fenders extended outwards and tapered into the body with .030 styrene. Fill resulting areas woth bondo. Sculpt to shape.

DSCN7159.jpg

Similar technique used to do nose cheeks. Bulge has been removed from hood, filled with sheet styrene, 'glass reinforced.

DSCN7161.jpg