Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Paint - Shelf Life?

So I've been going thru a bunch of old boxes and came across one filled with Testors and Tamiya paints, both bottle and spray cans. A few had been opened at one time and others never opened. Found lots of primer and Tamiyas Semi-Gloss black spray cans. This box has been sitting for about 20 years. How good is this stuff? Some is the Metalizer jar paints (unopened). Any chance this stuff is useable?

I have paint here that's pretty old, but you know, if the can or jar looks old, I will test it before I paint a model. I have never had any bad surprises.

I get the HOK paint in quarts, the basic colors like black and white, etc., and they've kept for years without any problems.

You have to store them in an even temperature space. They should keep.

Polly- S aquioues paints once opened seem to have a bad track record . Same goes for a lot of the bottle Testors , also made by RPM . The sinthol in the Bottle testors will often time seperate . This was a problem with their Rail Road paints in the 80's .Personally , I wish I could still get Humbrol tins ................ Ed Shaver

I have been into models all my life, I am 56 years old. I had Testors paint from the early '60's that was still good, that I used up just recently. It was stored in all kinds of temperatures, as well. However, since the fun cops (EPA) are controlling everything, the new paint leaves something to be desired, and the brand does not matter. All of it does not have a shelf life! The fellows in our club have issues with the new paint all the time. I know of one case where the paint was purchased, taken home for immediate use, and it was dried up/would not spray. This was NOT the fault of the LHS either!

.Personally , I wish I could still get Humbrol tins ................ Ed Shaver

Ed, if you're not averse to doing business online, you can still get them fairly cheaply. Here are the places I buy most of mine:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/airfix_hobby_and_model_enamel_paint

http://www.redfroghobbies.com/humbrol.htm

Hobbylinc has the cheapest Humbrol prices I've been able to find, but it always takes about two days for your order to be pulled and shipped.

RedFrog is only 20¢ more per tin, and they ship a little quicker.

Monty, currently I'm having way too many problems with both area Post offices I use . They have managed to lose entirely too many packages comming to me . My carrier goes through here on two wheels most of the time . If I didn't know better , I would say I live along side an Intersatte highway . I have complained and the supervisor basicly stuck up for the carrier . Said I was screaming at her ...... Hummmm, no one with in earshot agreed with her though . Ed Shaver