Model Cars Magazine Forum

Camaro Z28 Convertible Speed Boat?

*Warning* I have not built a model car in over 25 years.

I got this at a flea market for 20 cents.

DSCN9023.jpg

Not sure where he came up with price, but my wife was shocked I did'nt try to talk him down.DSCN9024.jpg

This sucker was really glued together, the whole lower body was glued to the floor pan. But not one speck of glue on the body or glass.

I sell every model I find, but after finding this site I was inspired to try and build something.

DSCN9032.jpg

Not much building supplies except an old steak knife to pull off the wheels and rear end.

Envelopes to make a pattern and a sharpie an tape.

DSCN9031.jpg

DSCN9027.jpg

DSCN9030.jpg

I need some plastic sheet, glue, sandpaper and putty to make the bottom. No model shops within 45 min. of me. Micheals has no putty or plastic.

Wish me luck, van

Edited by oneescalante

Interesting! Try your hardware supply for plastic "for sale" signs. They are styrene, and come in different thicknesses.

Thanks for the heads up on the for sale signs. Can you use throw away plastic plates? I found some looking for a better cutter in the junk drawer.

To thick for the hull, but I need to smooth the floor pan. I think I should start with dash, seats and door panels 1st and stick that to the body before the hull.

Thanks in advance, van

DSCN9113.jpg

I cut the center section out of the back seat and stuck it to the front seats. Must get putty and plastic.

Cool! Keep up on the creative work. I would really like to see where this goes. This is way "outside of the box".

To cool! Got a lot done in a couple of hours. Just hope it looks something like a boat.

Thanks, van

DSCN9103.jpg

DSCN9110.jpgDSCN9109.jpg

1st attempt at the floor pan, it's all one part now. no pic.

DSCN9107.jpgDSCN9104.jpgDSCN9106.jpg

Added the sides of the hull, filled in rear wheel wells and hacked the trunk lid out up to the rear contour of the spoiler for the new back seat.

DSCN9332.jpgDSCN9334.jpgDSCN9337.jpg

Missed filling in the front wheel well.

DSCN9335.jpg

Did I read this right? You're doing all this with nothing but a steak knife?

That was my 1st model making tool, I used it to pull the body apart. Found a small hacksaw blade and box cutter in the junk drawer and using a nail file for sanding.

So far I bought glue, putty, 3 plastic sheets and $1 can of spray paint.

Thanks,van

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...