Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thumbs up for Testor fine grain lacquer primer

ZTony8

I've recently had a chance to use the Testor fine grain lacquer primer and I strongly recommend it to all modelers.It sprays out nicely once the can is warmed,covers very well and dries very smooth.I find it as nice to use as the Tamiya fine grain lacquer primer and it's generally more available than the Tamiya product.It's available in both gray and white. P.S.-I don't have any affiliation with Testor.

I was prepared for the usual too thick Testor product when I sprayed this but was pleasantly surprised when it came out thinner than what I had expected.I find it a viable alternative to Tamiya's Fine primer if I happen to be out of that stuff.

• 8 months later...

I bought 5 or 6 can of this from Hobby Lobby when it was being marked down for 2.22 a can. Its a good primer but i still dont use it much. Tamiya Fine white is still my go to primer. For parts that are not going to be painted body color i use Walmart flat white paint or the grey primer, .88 cents a can its hard to beat.

I use Testors laquer primers for my first couple of coats. The Duplicolor primer I use for the following coats is a little too hot & can craze the plastic if you put it on too heavy. The Testors stuff gives me a base to help guard against that. I'm sure there are other primers available that would work as well for that purpose, but, as they say, beggers can't be choosers. You use what's readily available to you. The only thing even resembling a hobby shop in my area is Hobby Lobby & they carry Testors paints & seems that all of the auto parts stores around here only carry Duplicolor. At least that's all I've found to this point. I've had fine luck with the Testors #28137 Gray primer. I just wouldn't put an automotive lacquer directly over the top of it. Had issues with that in the past. Steve

Ever try plasti-kote primers???

Give it a shot! ;)

+1 Plasti-Kote is my primer flavor of choice. Thin, but covers well, sands easy, dries fast, a big can of it is $7-8, sprays out nice. It's become hard to find local to me, I've tried Dupli-Color and it's ok, but is pretty thin and doesn't cover as nice.

I bought 5 or 6 can of this from Hobby Lobby when it was being marked down for 2.22 a can. Its a good primer but i still dont use it much. Tamiya Fine white is still my go to primer. For parts that are not going to be painted body color i use Walmart flat white paint or the grey primer, .88 cents a can its hard to beat.

I did the same thing, but several cans from them on clearance, but I will say that I shot some of it last night (I too usually use Tamiya) and I found it shot much better than expected. I may not use it as a final prime over a special project, but if I am not wanting something as thick as gray filler, or thin as the Tamiya white, I can see myself using this more often.

Pleaseantly surprised.