Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aoshima BRZ STI Concept

martinfan5

Aoshima finally got this one released, it had a released date of Nov of last year, but kept getting pushed back, it is a concept STI version of the BRZ, the kit tooling is the same as the stock version/wheel option 86/BRZ kits, with a few additional new bits, they include the lower front splitter, a different trunk spoiler, and carbon hood/roof decals. You get both LHD/RHD dash options, and can build for US/EU/Japan versions.
IMG_0173_zpse454612b.jpg
s1_zps3893ab7e.jpg
s2_zpsdca890fa.jpg
s3_zpsf2cc1058.jpg
s4_zps1f63fe27.jpg
s5_zps0dd7b8a5.jpg

Edited by martinfan5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What Jonathan's posted is a curbside, but future versions of Aoshima's 86/BRZ got THIS comin':

Are they planning to include the bottom 1/3 of the engine, or will the third issue include a full engine? :P

Well, comes to that, the chassis pan doesn't look as if it allows for the bottom third (more like fifth, really). Would have been obscured by an undertray whichever way. B)

Far as engine inserts go, this'n is crazy engraved. Blows Tamiya's out of the water, recalls Fujimi Enthusiast more than anything else.

Well, comes to that, the chassis pan doesn't look as if it allows for the bottom third (more like fifth, really). Would have been obscured by an undertray whichever way. B)

Is that typical/normal/usual of Aoshima kits which include and engine to not include a full/complete engine, excluding curbside kits?

Seems to be - R35 GTR, Aventador, now this 86/BRZ all bear it out.

Not atypical for Japanese manufacturers, though; up till this one, the most bewildering was Fujimi's insert for its R35, nearly 30 pieces with all the lines and doohickeys anybody could reasonably expect - but still not a complete engine with a proper bottom end, no matter how complete it looks from the top.

Well, if you look at the trees Jonathan has posted above, you'll see not only the separate undertray/front suspension lowers piece - which ain't really the issue blocking the engine bottom - but also that web of plastic molded to the same area of the chassis plate, which is.

The various R35 kits have something similar going on, and Aoshima's Aventador bay is kind of a box into which either a one-piece insert, or a more-detailed-but-still-bottomless multi-piece engine drops.

If you have a look at the top left corner of the top black tree in Jonathan's shots, you'll see between the front struts on the left and the rotors on the right a piece which encompasses the lower bell housing, crossmember, and bottom surface of the oil pan (the transmission is complete in 3 dimensions and very well engraved, btw). So I guess someone could separate the undertray from the lower suspension and have a fair representation of the engine bottom, long as he didn't mind black webbing filling the space on either side.

A complete engine will require a layer of bridging work, though.

That's interesting. I wonder if people who build these kits (with mostly there/partially molded) engines either overlook, aren't bothered by, or (something else) the lack of a fully complete engine assembly.

I'm not saying it's better or worse than a free standing engine in a Revell '69 Camaro kit, and compared to some Monogram kit engines, it's definitely better, but it seems like an odd decision to go 95% of the way there, then intentionally decide to mold the remaining 5% of the engine with another neighboring part.

I'm guessing that they're starting from a marketing standpoint in a culture where curbsides are just generally better accepted all around, and then they deliver a little extra gravy for more enthusiastic modelers after the initial, primary release.

Also, it just so happens that modern, under-trayed and over-stuffed engine bays forgive this approach more easily than the airier compartments of yore...

Chuck, I seen those engine pics a few days ago when Aoshima posted them, I agree, there engine is going to blow Tamiya's out of the water, and by doing this, in my opinion, they now will have the better version of this kit

An official announcement will be made on the 10th of April I believe what was said

Now what I am wondering, are they going to add this to of the 86/BRZ kits

On the stand point of only doing the top half, well once the model is finished, you can not see the under side of the engine, so in that case it does not bother me that they only are doing the top side, its better then nothing

I can post some more pics if needed, let me know

Oh, they very nearly had the better version without! This cinches it absolutely, in my humble estimation.

You are correct, I have been saying if Aoshima were to include an engine with their version that they would blow Tamiya's out of the water. I have built both versions and hands down I like Aoshimas better.

You get a better kit, minus engine detail, for less then the Tamiya kit, about $5 less , just depending on where you buy from

I wonder if this going to be an engine parts kit, or they going to do a rerun of the 86/BRZ kits with the new engine tooling? I am kind of hoping for just a engine parts kit, it will be easier on the wallet :lol:

Edited by martinfan5

Right, which covers up all the bottom half of the engine, so really, there really isnt a need for the bottom half of the kit engine to be molded, the down side you cant kit bash the engine , but I am not sure if there is going to be a demand for that in the first place.

Top half is better then no half :lol:

Dangit Jonathan these people need an oil pan! They don't care if it's completely and totally hidden, a model kit is just not a model kit without the oil pan!!

Anyone who's complaining about the hyper-detailed "7/8th's of an engine" aspect to the new Aoshima tooling has clearly never stuck their noses in a Revell AG Ferrari kit lately. Those things look like a bunch of lumber nailed together at odd angles on the bottom since there's only a sliver or two that show through the bottom of the skid plate and those parts are the only thing that they engrave.