Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mini Cooper Mk1 998 c.c (Revell)

GeeBee

Well I got a little more done today, one of my pet dislikes is model companies putting the chrome parts on the sprue where you are going to see the cut off mark once it's removed from the parts tree, Revell are guilty of this with there chrome parts, the front grille is fixed onto the sprue in 6 places, 3 of them are right on top of the grille, so a small piece of BMF was cut to size and burnished down, you can just about see if if you look hard, the only other way would be to strip the chrome and redo it using Alclad, but the quality of Revell's chrome in the kit is pretty good, there was the same problem with the front bumper, four cut off points, two right on top of the front overiders, again BMF came to the rescue, luckily the rear bumper is only affixed by two points, and both of them at the bottom of the bumper, I did cover the marks with BMF, but your not going to see them .....

Another thing I like about the Revell version is that the grille extensions are cast as part of the front grille, where was the Tamiya version they are molded into the bodyshell and are very fiddly to cover in BMF.

2013-03-27201144.jpg

2013-03-27201153.jpg

2013-03-27204859.jpg

2013-03-27204909.jpg

2013-03-27210212.jpg

I got quite a bit done today, got another day to myself tommorow, so should have this finished very soon .... got most of the smaller chrome parts fitted, the bonnet badge was a simple job, as was the rear boot handle, the door handles were a little tricky, the chrome needed scraping off the mounting tab, but once cleaned off they fitted just fine, also did the chrome trim around the front indicators and fixed them into place.

The front & rear screen needed masking off as the rubber seal is molded as part of the windows, they were masked off using Tamiya 18mm tape, and airbrushed using Tamiya semi gloss back, they were fitted into place as soon as the paint had dried, using 5 minute clear epoxy

2013-03-29165100.jpg

986d5c2f-d5d3-41ac-bf4f-326a6cafbb1d.jpg

2013-03-29185950.jpg

2013-03-29211010.jpg

2013-03-29213004.jpg

Before I finished for the night, I took the time to remove all the side windows from the parts tree, as they need the molded in frames covered in chrome BMF, but doing a dry fit revealed that the instructions are slightly wrong, as they should part # 101 being fitted to the left hand rear side, it doesn't fit as you need to use part # 99, and use part # 101 on the left hand side

2013-03-29214120.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

This is really sharp. Looks like a real car on a giant workbench. Well done, sir.

Thanks, I try hard to make them look a little realistic,

got a little more done today, I'll do the other side later on, they were done using chrome BMF

2013-03-30151756.jpg

2013-03-30151748.jpg

2013-03-30151629.jpg

Managed to spend a little time in the hobby room this morning, not a lot now to get this one finished, just the wiper arms and a couple of decals ....

Got the headlamps fitted, they just dropped into the bowls, a few spots of 5 minute clear epoxy

2013-04-01132519.jpg

and got the side windows fitted, again they just dropped into the frames, a few spot of 5 minute clear epoxy in the corners and they were popped into place

2013-04-01142126.jpg

2013-04-01164942.jpg

Could you maybe show us the 5 minute epoxy your using, I tosund like great stuff to work with. And it does not damage the clear parts?

The stuff I use is made by Devcon, it's available in different size tubes, but it's the 5 minute clear, I use for all my clear parts,

post-2058-0-74134000-1364984387_thumb.jp

Hi Geoff, you've got me inspired, i'm going to have a crack at a mini. Don't think i'll be able to do anything near what you're achieving here, seeing all that masking tape just makes me want get the paintbrushes out. Been looking for my next project in 1:24 and this has settled it for me, a mini it is.

Hi Geoff, you've got me inspired, i'm going to have a crack at a mini. Don't think i'll be able to do anything near what you're achieving here, seeing all that masking tape just makes me want get the paintbrushes out. Been looking for my next project in 1:24 and this has settled it for me, a mini it is.

If your going to do a Mini, get the Revell version, you'll enjoy building that one ....

Very nice. I've built the Tamiya version, after seeing this, I'd like to build the Revell version.

I'm pleased to be an inspiration, it really is a superb kit to put together, because it was a new kit to me, I dry fitted everything before committing it to glue, but there was no need for it, next one I build I simply won't be bothered to do it, I've got 2 more of these in the stash, but the only Cooper colour I haven't done yet is Smoke Grey with the OEW roof.

• 3 months later...

After reading a couple of reviews on this new Mini I picked up the ROG one at the LHS. I had debated the purchase since I already had a couple of the Tamiya ones in my stash but on opening the box I was glad I got it. It's an excellent kit that will go on my list to build this fall/winter.

Thanks for your detailed build review it is going to prove useful when I get to work on mine.