Model Cars Magazine Forum

2085 VETTE JET! 8th Scale Corvette Flying Car...Finished!

Ira

Hi, Ira. I've been following your builds and I'm quite interested in your creative process. How do you go about coming up with these builds? Do you have a general concept before you go looking for a kit to fit it or do you look at a kit, like this Corvette, and just let the creative ideas go to work?

What makes the creative mind of Ira tick? It runs like a fine Swiss watch.

Inquiring minds want to know...

Dale

Thanks Dale!

I usually have an idea to get me started then I start looking for parts. If the parts look like they will work together, then I start building. Sometimes I change plans in midstream because I come up with a new, better idea. Mostly I just relax and have fun building. I like to work on 2 or 3 projects at a time... B)

A LITTLE TOO LONG...

I decided to shorten the Vette Jet by a couple more inches. I marked an area that when removed will take out 2 rough seams.

DSCN8481V_zps5e8193ee.jpg

I cut out the marked area with a cut-off wheel.

DSCN8482V_zps33dc53d3.jpg

Then I sanded the body edges on a piece of 80 grit sandpaper. I put the sandpaper on a flat surface and move the body parts back and forth on the paper, until they are smooth.

DSCN8491V_zpsca1bc97e.jpg

Here is the body with all of the modified parts glued back together!

DSCN8499V_zps42f81341.jpg

More Coming... B)

UNDERBODY!

I am marking off cut lines on the underside of the body with Blue Tape. This will give me straight lines to mount the Underbody.

DSCN8506V_zps31f3ee60.jpg

Then I marked the lines with a Sharpie and removed the tape. Next I'll cut along the lines with a Cut-Off Wheel.

DSCN8510V_zpsda9f815c.jpg

I traced the outline on to sheet plastic and cut it out.

DSCN8515V_zpsbd0677e2.jpg

Then I glued it to the underside of the body.

DSCN8519V_zps3d855e2c.jpg

More Coming... B)

TANDEM SEATING!

I marked and cut the lines on the top of the body the same way I did on the bottom. Now I have Straight, Equal Length Edges to work with.

DSCN8522V_zpsdaf1e521.jpg

I decided on the interior width and made Inserts for each side from sheet plastic.

DSCN8531V_zps193a6d6c.jpg

Here We Go!

DSCN8552V_zpsdf1ff1c6.jpg

More Coming... B)

VERTICAL LIFT!

I am making Vertical Thrusters from 12th scale Corvette Wheels! I used the circle templates to mark the spots for the Thrusters.

DSCN8714V_zpscd3c263d.jpg

I cut them out with a cutting bit and then enlarged the holes with a drum sander and Dremel Tool. I had to cut the backs off the wheels for clearance.

DSCN8719V_zps7751fc91.jpg

More Coming... B)

Ira,...can you build a model straight out of the box? Everything you build is incredibly imaginative, these builds are just loads of fun to watch. So, on with the show....

Thanks Paul!

No, I don't really build anything box stock, I guess the closest to stock was the house from S.F. Verses the Flying Saucers... B)

DSCN6698S_zpseac24c49.jpg

INTERIOR WALLS!

The Interior walls will be made from sheet plastic and covered with Corvette Interior Panels. I marked the Center line on the floor then I marked the lines where the side walls will be positioned. Next I marked the area to be cut out to fit the dashboard.

DSCN8729V_zpscd83ec9c.jpg

When I cut sheet plastic, I usually use a straight edge and cut along the lines with an X-Acto Knife. I don't cut all the way through, I just run the knife through the cut several times and then I bend the plastic and it breaks off along the Cut Lines. Like cutting Glass.

DSCN8757V_zps288deee9.jpg

The Dashboard Area has been cut out and here is the first Side Wall cut to size.

DSCN8735V_zps47db4df3.jpg

Here is a Side Wall glued in place.

DSCN8736V_zps78c986b9.jpg

More Coming... B)

Maybe this will help?
chrisbennett-vi.jpg
The model was constructed by Chris Bennett and entered into the Portland Rod & Custom model car show 2006. The title of the piece is "2063 Vette" and the scale is large. Not exactly sure if it was as large as 1/8th tho. More likely 1/12th or 1/16th.
The door does not close and the car hovers over the stand seemingly by some sort of repulsers. (Actually supported by the mechanic's arm and his wrench.)
Lighting in the building was really bad and don't do the model justice.

Chris took "Best Paint" and 1st in "Diorama". I'd have voted it best in show if I was a judge, it was that cool.

Thanks Paul!

No, I don't really build anything box stock, I guess the closest to stock was the house from S.F. Verses the Flying Saucers... B)

DSCN6698S_zpseac24c49.jpg

Now now,,,,, it's ALL box stock!!!!! Parts came from this box, that box, and that box......... It all came out a box right??? LMBO :lol::D

Maybe this will help?

chrisbennett-vi.jpg

The model was constructed by Chris Bennett and entered into the Portland Rod & Custom model car show 2006. The title of the piece is "2063 Vette" and the scale is large. Not exactly sure if it was as large as 1/8th tho. More likely 1/12th or 1/16th.

The door does not close and the car hovers over the stand seemingly by some sort of repulsers. (Actually supported by the mechanic's arm and his wrench.)

Lighting in the building was really bad and don't do the model justice.

Chris took "Best Paint" and 1st in "Diorama". I'd have voted it best in show if I was a judge, it was that cool.

Now that is kool!!!!