Model Cars Magazine Forum

Baja Bug anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys:

Anyone know what the cost is on these?

Portion of an e-mail regarding the Baja's:

The VW Baja body is $35.00. "Glass" will be flat sheet stock. Having trouble with
distortion in the resin copy I did. Other clear resin parts will be headlight lenses,
taillight lenses in clear red. I can do the front fender parking lights in clear or clear
yellow. Also, the front and rear nerf bumpers, side nerfs, a couple simple engine
parts and the stinger exhaust. A separate sun roof soft top and headlight bezels.
Also, separate exterior door handles. Donor kit is the Tamiya VW Beetle. Haven't
had a chance to see how well the Revell Germany VW Beetle parts work with the Baja body.
Hope this helps. If you've never dealt with Norm, he is first-rate. As a person, as a businessman, as an enthusiast.

Since there is always someone whom has never dealt with the aftermarket asking if a product or vendor is any good, I figured I'd share opening my delivery from Norm at Replicas & Miniatures. When asked if Norm's stuff is any good I just tell people to send him money…. and you'll get something very nice in return. Today's something nice is the new Baja Bug.

Oversized shipping box packed with newspaper. Inside the two individual kits. Each kit is a sub-package with the body in a separate box and all the accessories bagged and where needed, surrounded with a cardboard perimeter to protect the delicate pieces. Everything is surrounded with those darn peanuts.

Image-vi.jpg

Image-vi.jpg

Side crash bars, bumpers, stinger exhaust …..

Image3-vi.jpg

And the body is in a separate hand-taped box that protects this little jewel!

Image8-vi.jpg

Image4-vi.jpg

Image6-vi.jpg

Image8-vi.jpg

Image9-vi.jpg

Kit comes with front & real tubular bumpers, tail lights, signals, headlights, door handles, a few engine dress-up bits, optional canvas roof insert, and the side bars and stinger. A sheet of acetate is included for the glass. This casting is absolutely beautiful with minimal flash and clean, warp-free panels. Norms castings rival kit plastic. As a meter of fact, the INSIDE of the body shell has the locator pin receptacles for the Tamiya donor kit. Nice! This kit is beautiful and replicated really nicely.

I owned, and loved, one of these back in the early 80's. Back in the day I lived air-cooled VW's. I loved those little beasts. Here's one of my winter projects for this year.

If your into VW's, this is a MUST HAVE!!!!!

is there a kit needed to complete this model, or is it all in the R&M packages?

I was about to address this!

This is just a body with details. You need at least the Tamiya Beetle kit, or possibly another manufacturers, to give it an interior and chassis. I just test-fitted the Tamiya 1300 Beetle's floorpan and it looks very accurate, but some trimming is required. This is NOT a drop-on & go transkit, unless I grabbed the wrong kit from my stash. Tomorrow I plan on cleaning out the hobby room after letting it sit all summer. Once that's done, I'll set-up the front & rear axle points and give an honest assessment of what's going work and whats not going to work.

More to follow….

I hear ya!

I inherited my Dad's '72 Super Beetle...learned to drive in it. LOTS of great memories! ;)

I owned that car right at a fork in my life, where I often wonder where & what would have been different…. And believe me, it was a definite fork. :mellow:

Looking forward to building it as it was also during a great point in my youth.

This is typical Norm Veber packaging. He goes to great lengths to cast things of beauty and then package them so they arrive as perfect as they came out of the molds. Norm is a very detail oriented guy, and it has been my pleasure to get to know him over the years.

You should see how he sets up at our MAMA meetings. Always meticulous and affable, and always willing to chat about what you may need and see if he can do it. Norm is the BEST for these reasons and many others. I will see him this coming Saturday and will probably get one of these for my stash. Get one while you can guys.

Bob