Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1957 Ford Custom Tudor - Finished Pics

RandyB.

Thanks Sam and Ron. Not knowing that a "Thunderbird Special" decal was included in the kit for the optional Thunderbird engine I went and built this originally with the chrome valve covers. Well this morning I tore the engine apart for the second time and painted the valve covers black and applied the Thunderbird decal.....hopefully this will be the last time this engine comes apart! I'm using this website for great reference material for those building or about to build this kit. Check it out here http://www.1957ford.com/history/index.html

Anyway....here are the updated engine pics. Thanks for checking them out. Maybe later today I can BMF the body.

Pictures252.jpg

Pictures253.jpg

1:1 engine with the Thunderbird engine option.

phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg2.jpg

Pictures254.jpg

Your work is very, very nice. Cleanly and neatly done.

This leads me to ask why you are leaving that horrendously large ejector pin mark on the top of the tranny hump?

Which also begs the question why Revell chose that spot for the pin?

G

The floor is the back of the chassis, there's no separate interior floor or tub. Under the seat would have been a better spot. Oh well, something to shoot for the next one on the never-ending quest to find the perfect model kit... One of these days, we'll get it!

And a note I'd like to add, and I don't mean to insult the OP's color choice, I think it looks great and it's his model, he can build it however he likes, but there was only one interior color option (can't really call it an "option", can we?) for the Custom, and that was a gray scheme (with a really cool semi-gloss gunmetal color for the dash and metal areas, I think it's quite attractive myself).

This link (which I believe are more pics of the same reference car the OP has already posted) shows an original interior, albeit with a badly discolored headliner. It should be the same as the lightest grey fabric on the door panels. http://c-it.com/aminter-tbirds/315/index.htm

Again, I don't mean to insult the OP's color choice, just wanted to point out for those who might be planning a replica-stock build.

Edited by Brett Barrow

If you want to cover the pin mark flocking is the best thing to do.Great work so far.

I do believe this particular model of Ford came with the basic rubber flooring. That's why I left it black. Can anyone verify this or did I make another boo boo on this build?

Thanks Carl and Brett. Thanks for that info Brett but I guess it is too late now to change things. Funny thing is, I was initially going to do the interior in gray!

Something to remember for the next one, eh? This looks like the kind of model we'll want to build multiples of. I've already got several planned!

It's pretty common for these 50's mid- to entry-level cars that Revell's been doing recently to only have one interior color scheme and very few options. The '57 Chevy 150 only had one scheme, as did the '50 Olds 88 Club Coupe, though the kit replicates the deluxe interior - there was still only one color choice until you got to "open" models like convertibles or the Holiday hardtop.

I just had a conversation the other day with my grandfather, who actually owned a base-model 57 Ford Custom, I asked him if he remembered what color it was, he said "Nah, we didn't worry about those things back then. We just cared about what kind of a deal we could get."

I just had a conversation the other day with my grandfather, who actually owned a base-model 57 Ford Custom, I asked him if he remembered what color it was, he said "Nah, we didn't worry about those things back then. We just cared about what kind of a deal we could get."

:D:D Spoken like a true Grandpa!!!

My best buddy when I was inmy teens bought his first car - a mint green '57 Ford Custom 2 door post - or "coach" as we sometimes called a sedan back then. With it's reliable, but tired old 223 and three speed manual transmission, it was still a go getter. he drove it for a year or so until he bought a gorgeous '58 fairlane 500 2 door hardtop - dark green and white just like this: 5820Ford20Hardtop2003_zpsfa10789b.jpg

It was also a 6 cylinder three speed car and he drove it for a few months until; it was rear ended and written off. It was replaced with a black '59 Fairlane Club Victoria 2 dr ht. Ahh but :mellow::unsure::) for the good old days...

some very nice work Randy, the valve covers look so much better now! looks like the engine is based on the 292? those were very tough engines, they even had a very distinct sound IMO

Yes, the 312 and the 292 are virtually indistinguishable from the outside. Both are Y-Blocks, and the main difference are the crankshaft with bigger bearings, and pistons. The first Ford version of the Y-Block (not considering the Lincoln) came in 1954 with 239 cubes. Then Ford enlarged the engine to 272, 292, and 312 cubes, for example.

For me, the Y-Block is the second best sounding V8 engine ever, only superated by the Ford Flathead V8.

Thanks guys for the comments!...I should have this baby all finished up by later tonight and then I need to find a decent day outside to get some finished pics to post. It's sitting on my bench almost done and I really like the way it looks......kudos to Revell for a very nice representation of a '57 Ford Custom!

Well I finished this build off last night and was able to get the pictures taken outside. Revell did a very nice job on this one and got everything right to come up with a nice representation of the 1957 Ford Custom Tudor. I just need to add the year to the rear license plate and it's officially completed. Have a look and see what you think and thanks for following my topic.

Revell1957FordCustom1_zps02233e1f.jpg

Revell1957FordCustom2_zps862dcb2f.jpg

Revell1957FordCustom4_zps864dd42b.jpg

Revell1957FordCustom3_zps68638e27.jpg

Edited by RandyB.