Model Cars Magazine Forum

1938 Ford COE is finally finished.

good job !!!!

this a cab resin kit ?

Yes. An old Mill City Replicas resin casting. The grill was no good so I had to make one up. I used brass strip stock for the oval shape, a piece down the middle inside to set the individual brass rod pieces on and soldered it all together. The outside surround is brass rod that was nickel plated.

Yes. An old Mill City Replicas resin casting. The grill was no good so I had to make one up. I used brass strip stock for the oval shape, a piece down the middle inside to set the individual brass rod pieces on and soldered it all together. The outside surround is brass rod that was nickel plated.

i know the mild city abd it is true that the grill is wrong and it is good to have it done again....with metals !!!! great success !!!!

for my resin kit I also remade mine..but plastic !!!!

IMG_5301a-vi.jpg

i know the mild city abd it is true that the grill is wrong and it is good to have it done again....with metals !!!! great success !!!!

for my resin kit I also remade mine..but plastic !!!!

IMG_5301a-vi.jpg

For example: Here is how I did the grill in brass.

GrillTutorial001_zps7fbea168.jpg

I heated a piece of strip brass until it was annealed and softened. Then I formed it by hand around the inside of the grill opening. The ends were soldered together and another straight strip was soldered down the center from top to bottom. Then the outside was filed to the shape of the outside of the opening. Then, beginning in the middle I soldered sections of brass rod to the edges of the brass oval and used the pieces of plastic as spacers. Once all the brass rod sections were soldered in place the ends were cut off and filed smooth with the outside oval. Then it was painted and inserted into the opening of the grill. The ring around the outside is also brass that was nickel plated. Note the curvature of the ring. This is the form the brass oval had to take as well.

For example: Here is how I did the grill in brass.

GrillTutorial001_zps7fbea168.jpg

I heated a piece of strip brass until it was annealed and softened. Then I formed it by hand around the inside of the grill opening. The ends were soldered together and another straight strip was soldered down the center from top to bottom. Then the outside was filed to the shape of the outside of the opening. Then, beginning in the middle I soldered sections of brass rod to the edges of the brass oval and used the pieces of plastic as spacers. Once all the brass rod sections were soldered in place the ends were cut off and filed smooth with the outside oval. Then it was painted and inserted into the opening of the grill. The ring around the outside is also brass that was nickel plated. Note the curvature of the ring. This is the form the brass oval had to take as well.

very, very nice job !!!!!

my grill is on same method, but in plastic

see here in my fotki : http://public.fotki.com/customboy/coe-models-base-and/my-coe-master-resin-kits/ford-coe-1938/page3.html