Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Sun Roof Sedan by PYRO

rmvw guy

Anyone ever heard of PYRO? I picked this one up at Indy last week end for $15. The box says 1/25 scale but, it's more like 1/23. The sides of the car were separate pieces with the interior engraved inside. It did come with two mechanics. I painted it Testors flat red with clear over slight weathering. Lowered the stance. I'm pleased with the result for a quick build which is what I needed. Comments welcome, thanks for looking.DSC04013.jpgDSC04011.jpgDSC04010.jpgDSC04014.jpg

I really like the weathering! John's Bug shop is just down the street from me, and he always has something in his lot that looks like your build. There's usually more "weathered" bugs than trailer queens! See for yourself:http://www.google.ca/maps?q=&layer=c&z=17&iwloc=A&sll=42.984004,-79.235728&cid=6503769748943570798&cbp=13,57.5,-1.8,0,0&panoid=DRhAk8k76KcvFpk-tx7GgQ&q=john's+bug+shop&sa=X&ei=UbKSULjsHaWZ0QGG34C4DA&ved=0CHsQnwIoADAA

Steve

Thanks for all the comments. I agree the PYRO kit is not that great. It has no inner fender wells and the area behind the back seat goes through to the tires. An expert modeler could probably do wonders with this kit. It was well worth the money just for the two little men included. It also came with some vintage luggage.

What's with the bullet holes? On my 1:1 I had a little chip on the door that became a small rust hole. I put a bullet hole decal on it and kind of liked the look so, had to do it! Here's another picture of the other side.DSC04012.jpg

Considering that it is a Pyro it looks great! Built a few Pyro kits as a kid, back when they were .49 cents they had some pretty interesting shapes so the slight flatting here and there is nothing. Don't remember ever seeing the Pyro VW on the shelves. I think building it a little "distressed" was the way to go with this kit as it somewhat hides most of it's faults. The stance is just right, one or two splines in the rear and a good twist down on the front beam, sits about as low as many of us ran them in the early 70's. (We never thought about narrowing the front axle beam to get it lower.)