Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

What is really irking me today is I the fact that it is so dang hard to find a decent Fire Truck kit. I want to build one for a little friend of mine and I cant believe the only ones I am finding are priced way to high to build fr a 5 year old who will more than likely destroy it!

What kind of fire truck toy were you lookking for, a friend of mine makes wooden toys, including fire trucks!

https://m.facebook.com/pages/CHs-Little-Woodshop/535754019804224?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch&_rdr

Round2 reissued the old Aurora open cab American LaFrance kit (1/32 scale) a year or two ago, they are relatively easy to find and sometimes still on hobby shop shelves.

Revell's Mack snaptite is still around (also 1/32 scale) and relatively easy to find. It may even be a current issue.

Otherwise, any other fire engine kits are way beyond a 5-year-old.

Round2 reissued the old Aurora open cab American LaFrance kit (1/32 scale) a year or two ago, they are relatively easy to find and sometimes still on hobby shop shelves.

Revell's Mack snaptite is still around (also 1/32 scale) and relatively easy to find. It may even be a current issue.

Otherwise, any other fire engine kits are way beyond a 5-year-old.

He says he wants to build it and then give it to the kid.

I think a steel toy fire engine would be way more appropriate (and "playworthy") for a 5-year old than an assembled plastic model of any sort, snap or not. After 10 minutes in a 5-year old's hands, it'll be broken.

Out on the road today, I found further proof that the world's supply of clueless wonder drivers is going strong...

All in the course of one trip today...

Clueless Wonder A. I'm driving behind an SUV on a street that has one lane northbound, one lane southbound, and one continuous center lane to use for turning whether you're north or southbound (instead of individual defined turn lanes every so often, because there are a lot of store parking lot entrances on this stretch of road). SUV slows down, puts on left turn signal... then comes to a stop right in front of me and waits for oncoming traffic to pass. Did they bother using that spiffy center turn lane that was put there so that people who are turning don't have to block traffic? Nooooooooo.....

Clueless Wonder B... in a typical suburban supermarket lot... you know, where the rows of parking spots are at a 45 degree angle, and there's a two-way "aisle" between each row of parked cars. I'm cruising down the first aisle slowly... no open spots... I get to the end of the lot and make a left turn into the next lane to try my luck there... and suddenly I'm face to face with C.W. B in a black Camaro. Right, he's on my side of the aisle instead of his side. So I sit there and stare at him for a few seconds. I wasn't about to back up and get out of his way because he was the one where he shouldn't be. After a few seconds the light went on in what passes for his brain, and he spins the wheel to his right and squeezes past me slowly. As our open windows pass, I asked him if he had any idea how a parking lot works. He looked at me and said (and I think he was serious)... "oh, is this a one-way parking lot?" You would think it was his first ever experience driving in a parking lot! Even the huge, bright yellow arrows on the pavement meant to guide clueless wonders like him weren't enough to overcome his cluelessness.

Clueless Wonder C... ok, I'm almost home, literally a half block from my driveway. I'm thinking I survived another drive amongst the morons, but NO! All of a sudden C.W. C backs his car out of his driveway right in front of me! Now this is my street, a quiet residential suburban sidestreet, so I wasn't going fast... maybe 20, tops. I was only in second gear, but I still had to make a sudden stop to avoid plowing into C.W. C. And so I'm sitting there as he continues to pull out, and then move out past me to my left. As he passes by, he gives me a look as if I'm the idiot!

Sigh... :rolleyes:

I believe every word Harry as it's amazing the way a lot of people drive on the streets, the roads, the highways, tollways, and yes even the parking lots. Just amazing, and these are the same people who have children and vote as well. No wonder we're in deep trouble.

Whoa! Drunken old folks driving rental cars they're not familiar with? :P

I firmly believe there should be a stipulation for car rental here that says you are not allowed to drive until your third visit. I have literally seen tourists stop dead on the strip mesmerized by the lights. I watched a bicycle cop ride up to one of the fascinated folks and beat on the fender as the driver caused a traffic jam several blocks long, on a Saturday, in the evening.

:blink:

G

He says he wants to build it and then give it to the kid.

I think a steel toy fire engine would be way more appropriate (and "playworthy") for a 5-year old than an assembled plastic model of any sort, snap or not. After 10 minutes in a 5-year old's hands, it'll be broken.

I saw that, but he asked about kits, not steel toys. The reason I suggested the two snap kits is that they (1) aren't terribly expensive like the Trumpeter, vintage AMT, or Revell of Germany fire apparatus kits, and, (2) they have fewer parts to break or break off.

He's actually better off going to a toy store or Wallymart and buying a heavy plastic fire truck, like the ever-popular Tonka series. Inexpensive, durable, and not as damaging when wielded like a tool, battering ram, or other 5-year-old's-weapon of massive destruction.

Better yet, a fire truck pedal car. My 7-year-old grandson is still totally captivated by mine (I've let him play with it for years), and he can't hurt it ~ plus the parts are big enough to be easy to find if he could break them off.

He's actually better off going to a toy store or Wallymart and buying a heavy plastic fire truck, like the ever-popular Tonka series. Inexpensive, durable, and not as damaging when wielded like a tool, battering ram, or other 5-year-old's-weapon of massive destruction.

Yes, exactly my point. Giving a 5-year old a model doesn't seem like the best way to go.

Yes, exactly my point. Giving a 5-year old a model doesn't seem like the best way to go.

We share that point!

My 7-year-old grandson builds model cars, but he fully understands that the 'hands-in-pockets' rule still applies when he visits Grampa's "showroom."

Last month I reported that the air compressor went out in my wife's car to the tune of just under 800 bucks. : ( Last night the home central air went out about 8 pm. It was a rough night. Man came to fix it today at a cost of only 155.00. : ) It was an irk it went out but happily it was fixed for a sum of 155 bucks. I do the happy dance !!!! : ) You don't want to be without air in Phoenix in July.

James I know someone produced a 1/32 scale kit. I want to say Revell. I believe it's a glorified snap kit, so if you find one it should work.

G

There are cheap snap-tite models on ebay, but I am looking for something a bit nicer.

Maybe it would be better to get him a steel toy fire truck instead. At least he could play with it.

I guess I should have worded this a little better. He likes fire trucks, and has plenty of die cast ones to play with, So this one mom would put on a shelf for display, they both see my instagram posts of kits i build and asked if I could build something.

The nicer kits, the trumpeter one being the only I can find that looks cool, is like 80 bux plus shipping!

Well, the whole last week irked me. That's why you haven't seen me around.

The anti-virus on my computer went completely haywire and shut me off from the Internet. I had to blow it off and reinstall me. Only took me a week to figure that out...

Let's see, what else?

I had a little GOOD news: I finally had an interview for a permanent teaching job that went pretty well. That was on Thursday.

However, Wednesday night, my mother's car, which I was going to take, because I had belts showing through on my front tires and it was a long trip. My mom's car, even though it has 185,000 miles on it, is in pretty decent shape, so I was going to take that. Dad and I stopped on the way home from picking him up to get something, and we started to smell coolant. We saw a Ford Winstar going by, and figured the Essex V6 was on its way out, and then, Dad looked under her car.

The three-week-old radiator sprung a massive leak. We had to have the car AAA'd back to the mechanic from Waltham to Clinton (about thirty miles) and that left us stranded there. We crashed at my mother's apartment and I had to rent a car to get to Springfield (WMass from Greater Boston,) and the rental car agency couldn't get a car, etc., etc.

All told, I ended up an hour late for my interview (compounded by having to stop at my house and change into something presentable and several traffic issues caused by construction.) As it turned out, it wasn't that big a deal- the administrators that were interviewing me had so many problems with the summer school kids that they were delayed nearly forty-five minutes after my arrival! Very nice people and definitely a school I could see myself working at fairly happily.

However, the cruelest blow came Saturday morning, just as I had gotten up. I was getting ready to get a pair of tires when my cousin Greg called.

A very close friend of ours died Friday night- under what we are politely terming "suspicious" circumstances, possibly involving drugs (which Sam would never, ever touch), and almost certainly involving his girlfriend (who has had problems with H and can't quite kick it,) in some capacity. The shock and blow has been breath-taking, to say the least. Personally, I'm not prepared to call it "homicide," but right now, we're looking at what we think is a very strong case for manslaughter.

Wayne, Danno- any thoughts on what will be happening? We're all having a problem getting a good read on the situation. We know the police are doing some kind of an investigation, but exactly what isn't clear. I'm guessing that after collection of evidence and statements, they'll probably sift through the information and determine whether charges will be filed based on the information they can find.

The only side-benefit is that several friends of mine who had stopped talking over some very foolish things over the last few years, finally called a truce and are back on speaking terms. But, this is still too high a price to pay for that.

Yeah....it's been a bad week.

Charlie Larkin