Model Cars Magazine Forum

SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKER

GrandpaMcGurk

You know if you added a couple hundred pounds and a pair of goggles, you might have a Dr. Cranky clone. :D

LOL! That just cracked me up. Well, you will be happy to know that Doctor Cranky has been going out for walks to drop a few more pounds. HA!

Don, this build is coming together really well, and it's going to have lots of great details. Take your vitamins and keep it going.

Thanks Doc. I'll be using a QC and drum brakes on the rear. I have some skinny rubber for the front but I'm trying to decide whether to make some spindle mount spoke wheels with no front brakes or go with discs and 5 spoke mags...any thoughts?

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Gotta' say I may have gone a little overboard with this frame because I still have more fabbing and sanding to do (I really hate sanding)....but what the heck, even though a cartoon car it's all part of modeling and being compulsive obsesssive, anal retentive or whatever........anyway, at least for me, it's all good for the soul.

I'll let the pics speak for themselves.......

AZframo003.jpg

AZframo004.jpg

AZframo006.jpg

AZframo009.jpg

AZframo010-1.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Here we go again with more fabrication and a couple of pics......other than the QC rear and brake backing plates this entire frame is from scratch.

Now that I know the Hemi will shoehorn in I'm buttoning up the floor pan, I'll add a handful of rivets (just for giggles, 'cause once I get it all sanded down and bones in there...none of it will show)...oh, well...I'll know it's there.

AZtankB005.jpg

Fuel cell, hold down straps & battery box mocked up, ready for sanding and final fitting...did I mention I hate sanding? Still have to narrow the rear axle and add either traction bars and a pan-hard bar or 4 link it.

I'm thinking Brooklyn bridge traction bars would be way cool...ya think?

AZtankB004.jpg

AZtankB002.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

I switched over from gray primer to red oxide....this allows me to "color sand"......as I do the finish sanding the high spots will show up gray and the low spots will remain red. That's a trick I learned when I was working on full size stuff.

Other than light sanding the bottom of the fuel cell is done.

Azofinalmu001.jpg

The engine supports and pads are installed.....

Azofinalmu007.jpg

The bottom of the trans tunnel still needs to be sanded but I have to wait for the 2 part filler to cure. I only use 2-part filler as it doesn't shrink and leave ghost lines like the no mix tube stuff does later on.

The battery box is ready for paint and the lump on the other side will be an electric fuel pump.

Azofinalmu012.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Many thanks guys......

Doc, you're making me blush and feel all warm & fuzzy.

A pal of mine from another site mentioned 1/4 elliptic springs for the front and to keep it goofy, that hadn't crossed my mind.

It sounded like a challenge to me...and I love a challenge.

He was absolutely right about keeping it goofy and given the nature of the build I scratched my head....scratched my butt (in that order), sat on the back porch with the Kentucky Gentleman for a spell and did a few quick cocktail napkin sketches.

I'm not going into chapter & verse trying to explain them but look 'em over....there's everything from friction shocks, torsion bars, leaf springs to coil overs.......but they all put the axle above the frame rails and behind the grille. Any of them will still leave me room for a dinky radiator & keep the front end in the dirt.

Azonkfrontend001.jpg