Model Cars Magazine Forum

Converting the Red Barron to the Black Knight

Pete J.

You got my curiosity up and I did a little research. The reason the air ran through the crankcase was to warm it. Normally, heating the air is not what you would want to do, but keep in mind that this is an aircraft engine and one of the major problems with carbureted engines is that they can develop ice at the venturi. This can be a bit of an issue when you are in combat at 15,000 feet and your engine quits.

awsome job , a saw like that is on my wishlist still !

Here is the saw I bought. http://www.ottofrei.com/Knew-Concepts-Jewelers-Precision-Hand-Saws-with-Knob-Tension-3.html I like it because it has a cam testioner that means I don't have to go through a lot of messing around when I change blades or take one end out to get it through a starter hole. I also got this blade holder with blades as it seemed like a good starter set since I didn't know what I would need. It really makes working with this stuff easier than I would have imagined. http://www.ottofrei.com/Swiss-Sawblade-Assortment-On-Wood-Stand.html

Ok, I finished a couple of more parts. I made a brass firewall using the plastic part as a pattern ...

DSC00801_zps9253c1a2.jpg

...and it didn't fit because I made some mild modifications to the body. So I made a new one that used the body as a pattern.

DSC00803_zps6364e8b7.jpg

And then I drilled it for the fasteners and polished it.

DSC00804_zpsced1e70e.jpg

Next, I turned the gas tank and gas cap. The gas filler is a little slanted because the tank sits under a lip and the filler would be set forward of the center line of the tank.

DSC00802_zpse82cc220.jpg

Then I added some brass straps and fasteners.

DSC00805_zps2cc8ed24.jpg

DSC00806_zpsb7c14083.jpg

Got a few more bits done. I can see that I am getting close to a time to start painting the plastic bits.

Here is the steering wheel. I shaped the basic shape with brass with the jeweler's saw and finished it with files. The center hub was turned and the black grips are just Tamiya enamal black.

DSC00813_zps2b2165b1.jpg

I also got the head lights done tonight. All turned on the lathe.

DSC00815_zpsfa243b95.jpg

Now for the major change. The original Red Barron does not have a windscreen. In converting this I wanted to make this look like a WW 2 German soldier with googles. I had a hard time deciding exactly how to do this and make it fit under the helmet. In the end I decided I could take some styling cues from an aircraft cockpit as well and added the top piece accross the top of the bar. This is all test fitting.

DSC00811_zps14548535.jpg

DSC00810_zps1714883b.jpg

DSC00809_zps2fb64c01.jpg

Hi again! Well it is time for an update and a request for opinions.

Here is some of the latest progress. I had a bit of a problem. The screen that I used was brass and I used "blacken it" to get a nice even color. About a week after I used it, the black changed color and flaked off. Not a problem. Sand it down and paint it with a good enamel. It seems to be holding.

In the meantime, I have mounted the head lights on the radiator shell. I think they look good, but here is where your opinions will come in. I put a clear lens (Krystal Klear) and they looked good, but I have seen hot rods with colored lenses before. I can do red, orange, yellow, blue or green. I have my opinions about what may look good in this context but I am not really a hotrod person, so I am going to you for your opinions. What do you think??

DSC00819_zps298b43f7.jpg

DSC00820_zps0479f199.jpg