Model Cars Magazine Forum

Could it be done?

I have recently been able to open and review the new Revell Foose '69 Camaro.

I haven't built the kit, but it looks very, very nice. I am impressed.

While I understand that Revell isn't interested in pursuing new large scale subjects, it seems to me that they could do more with this kit. Of course, I am just a guy sitting behind a computer, with somewhat limited model experience, and no tool and die or designing experience, whatsoever.

It appears, at least to me, that if Revell would tool up a new 68-72 GM A-body, they could use nearly every piece and every sprue from the new Foose kit.

Sure, the model wouldn't be dead accurate, and they would have to fudge a little here, and a little there. I'm sure that scale builders, especially the bolt counters, would scream like no tomorrow, but Revell would have a new kit to offer.

Many have surmised and 'swagged' that a new kit costs $250,000 in tooling, design, and development. I would guess that if Revell made new body using the Foose Camaro as a basis, they could slash that cost immensely.

I would think that a new Chevelle might be a top seller for them, but a GTO with a Judge option would sell well too. The Skylark or Olds would do well, but the Olds would outsell a Skylark 10 to 1, IMO.

One note is that the dash out of the Foose kit would be inaccurate for an A-body, I think. As well, they would have to tool new front and rear windshields for an A-body too.

Thoughts? Am I crazy?

It would be cool ... .. Firebirds and Nova's had the sub frame platform ..Firebird would probably be the easiest conversion ..

They would make a killing on 68 69 71 72 Chevelle & El Camino 70 Camaro 68- 72 Nova

Edited by Jim3

It would be cool ... .. Firebirds and Nova's had the sub frame platform ..Firebird would probably be the easiest conversion ..

They would make a killing on 68 69 71 72 Chevelle & El Camino 70 Camaro 68- 72 Nova

I`ll third that.

I thijk that it would all depend on how well the new tool mustang has been selling. Another factor would be if Revell can get them into some high volume reatailers like Wamart or Micheals. I think that somethihg like the firebird would be more likely I'm not sure how well something that would have to fudged would be accepted. A more likely option would be for one of the aftermarket companies would do a 3d printed body. The big part would beccreatijg the cad model however the advantage would be that anynumber of copies can be made . With resin there would be limits on how copies could be pulled from the mold before it would need replacing.

Big scale stuff for the mass market has always bee a profit killer with the exceptions of Tamiya F1 stuff which is nearly $200. per kit now. But even they haven't tooled a new one for what? Almost 20 years? When was the last time anyone made a new tool 1/12 or 1/16 car? Almost forgot! The new Ford GT and the new Mustang kit have been out for a bit but they are very pricey and I would be fascinated to know how they are doing for the companies that released them. That's two! Sorry to rain on the parade but it ain't happening (much).

I am working up several new bodies and kits in 16th scale....you have seen them on here.......it can be done but it is really up to the small caster to do it, In the past year i have mastered many new bodies that can be used for existing kits and some that have special parts,,,,,it takes time and energy and some money but not what the big guys need for tooling,,,,it is a resin market. The big problem I have faced is that so many don't pony up and buy the new bodies or kits and It is again, the cost. I have to get $50 to $60 to cover costs for a body. I would love nothing more than to go less but to make the molds for even 16th scale is about $200 per......If I make up a kit i shell out $300 or so,,,,,,what should I charge for a kit then,,,,,,,$125 t0 150. Would you put out that much for a kit that you still have to add wheels and and engine,,,,,sure I have molds for all the engines but that is another $30...the economics make it hard to just cover costs,,,,,,,If I could get a kit for $75,,,,,how many would even do that..unlike the big guys I don't have share holders but still need to make some profit to make more new kits and at $75 it is not there.....I have over 10 new bodies that are being molded,,,,,,,one here and one there......if I go to 12th scale everything doubles,,,,,,,,and 1/8th scale a mold is over $1000.........you have to sell a lot of product to make the numbers work.. pricing is the biggest hurdle,,,,,off my soap box,,,,,,,thanks for reading. :rolleyes:

Edited by kennb

Big scale models have always been a niche product. Probably always will be, and as such, with limited profit potential, the number of new large scale kits is never going to amount to much. There's just not enough market demand out there, as Andy alluded to. I'm a big-scale modeler myself, so I would love an explosion of new large scale kits... but I know it's not going to happen.