Model Cars Magazine Forum

What scale is best

jeffinvt

I have been looking on e-bay for ever, but am unsure of what scale is right for me. I would like to have a system where I can get added cars down the line, and would like to avoid the silly upside down and up the wall stuff. I mostly have been looking at Carrerra, and scalextrix, but see aurora and others out there too. What is junk, and what is not. I would over time like to build a large track with overpasses and chicanes etc...

1/32, I love it. All those companies are great, Ninco is good but a little toy like and Fly's are a little more expensive but they are nice but they are HARD to tune and get running right, so sometimes, not getting your money's worth. B)

We have the Trans Am track and it is perfect, no loops, :) and the cars are detailed and fast for what they are stock. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

i agree on the 1/32, there is a lot of brand new beautiful stock to choose from from a variety of companies. most respond well to some tuning (truing tires, gluing bearings into chassis, taping or gluing motor to chassis, lowering and lightening etc) and there are also a lot of vintage cars and parts available via ebay (my favorite thing to do is build vintage cars).

HO is too small and not much of a challenge actually, and 1/24 is mostly for "wing" cars that go superfast but resemble blobs. i prefer cars that look, and more or less run, like a real car so 1/32 fits that to a T...small enough to put together a track in the dining room but big enough to see from across the room.

I would say for total number of cars available 1/32 is by far the best. If you want to just collect beautiful cars then it is 1/32 hands down.

As far as the most consistent fast cars Scalextric seems to be the most consistent. Fly tends to have the most beautiful cars followed closely by Carrera.

I agree with above that Ninco are the most toy like. They are very fast and have weak magnets which makes driving more of a challenge but I personally like a challenge.

I have a lot of fun with the Monogram Vettes and Daytona Coupes.

Slot Its are just fast but not as much of a challenge to do so.

I also like HO's but that probably because that was all I could afford as a kid.

If you have a local routered track nearby then you will have to get a 1/24 car. You don't have to go the wing route. there are a lot of lexan car bodies and the drag cars are neat but the race is over to fast for me. that is more of a builders class.

DJ

I also like HO's but that probably because that was all I could afford as a kid.

:lol: yup! :lol:

Those Monogram ones are surprisingly very fast, I got the King Cobra and DANG that thing moves and sticks, that's the other thing, I'm starting to run mine with minimal or no magnets for a realistic feel. :lol:

Depends on what you want out of the hobby.

Most 1:32 tracks and cars depend on magnets to keep the cars on the track for an unrealistic handling package. But what they do give you is unparalleled scale look. Each company provides good or poor samples of subjects, so logging onto a forum like "Slot Car Illustrated" or "Slot Forum" and reading some of the old threads will save you some time deciding which is best. Personally I have only dealt with scratch-built chassis and modified motors ... and one stock Fly build up. Therefore I am not the best person to ask.

Good luck with your track.

Jairus

Depends on what you want out of the hobby.

Most 1:32 tracks and cars depend on magnets to keep the cars on the track for an unrealistic handling package. But what they do give you is unparalleled scale look. Each company provides good or poor samples of subjects, so logging onto a forum like "Slot Car Illustrated" or "Slot Forum" and reading some of the old threads will save you some time deciding which is best. Personally I have only dealt with scratch-built chassis and modified motors ... and one stock Fly build up. Therefore I am not the best person to ask.

Good luck with your track.

Jairus

Not true about the magnets. I ran at a regional NINCO race and it was magnetless it is getting even more popular.

It evens out the cars and you can race different manufactures together. This is the way they run the cars across the pond.

Ariel

I agree with Ariel, it is hella fun and even, I started it not to long ago with my 70 Boss Parnelli and it is sooooo much fun!! It is getting popular for sure and racing without them is fun! ;)

So, you can race an F1 versus a Mini or a Renault 5 :lol:

I have about every brand there is and I have seen nothing accelerate as fast as the Scalextric F1 cars, not even my slot its.

But they all are fun mags or no mags. Each car requires a different driving skill. I like best the cars that fish tail just a little then accelerate like bats out of hell LOL.

Too much fun.

DJ

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE QUALITY AND DETAIL OF 1/43 RACING STEP UP TO THE SAME AS 1/32 THEN THAT WOULD BE THE SCALE TO RACE. YOU HAVE RESIN COMPANIES WITH DETAIL PARTS, DECALS ETC. THAT WOULD MAKE THIS A BLAST AND WOULD COMPLEMENT THE 1/43 MODEL BUILDING AS WELL.. NOT TO MENTION STORING THESE THINGS WOULD BE BETTER AS WELL. <_<

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE QUALITY AND DETAIL OF 1/43 RACING STEP UP TO THE SAME AS 1/32 THEN THAT WOULD BE THE SCALE TO RACE. YOU HAVE RESIN COMPANIES WITH DETAIL PARTS, DECALS ETC. THAT WOULD MAKE THIS A BLAST AND WOULD COMPLEMENT THE 1/43 MODEL BUILDING AS WELL.. NOT TO MENTION STORING THESE THINGS WOULD BE BETTER AS WELL. :lol:

:lol: I know, that would be awsome, I would buy them! and the storing would be easier! :lol:

• 1 month later...
Guest zebm1

Sombody tried that back in the mid 80s..... a 1/43 scale slot track with 2 Dodge Magnums that had working steering on an oval.....I only have 1 of the cars left....some kids broke into my storage building back in tha 90s and stole or destroyed my memories..... including my AMT original Vette collection.....62-75 unbuilts......

• 1 year later...
I have been looking on e-bay for ever, but am unsure of what scale is right for me. I would like to have a system where I can get added cars down the line, and would like to avoid the silly upside down and up the wall stuff. I mostly have been looking at Carrerra, and scalextrix, but see aurora and others out there too. What is junk, and what is not. I would over time like to build a large track with overpasses and chicanes etc...

1/32 scale racing is for old ladies...1/24 scale is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are lucky enough to have a commercial track in your town , I would go with what ever they race . you will get a lot more satisfaction running with a large group of new friends. As for me, we have no commercial track , so I run HO. Somewhat because that is what I had as a kid and also the biggest selection of cars, and I can fit a lot of track in a small space. I have a 4 X 8 , 4 lane set up right now. Some day I may add trains as well.

Russell

I love the 1/43 scale in die-cast, and my Kyosho Dnano's, but for slot car racing 1/32 is best indeed. You guy's have forgotten to mention AutoArt. AutoArt makes some very sweet Lamborghini and Ferrari models, some of which have detailed interiors. One of my favorites is their white Lamborghini Countach. Very awesome details!

Go with 1/32, any other scale just doesn't cut it.

• 1 month later...

Here is a link to photos of my track, just to show you what can be done in 1:32nd. We run vintage F1s and Sports racing Cars with no magnets on my track, and TransAms and more modern cars with low magnets( limited to 400grams):

http://homeracingworld.yuku.com/topic/6308?page=9

You can find the full Build article on my track on Home Racing World in The Layout Design Section:

http://homeracingworld.yuku.com/

You will find a lot of useful threads on that forum.

CHEERS!

Tom