Model Cars Magazine Forum

75678? Chev P/U GlueBomb

Was given my first glue bomb Restochevypu5_zpsab30916c.jpg

chevypu1_zpse8b40f04.jpg

Dash an other finnicky bits left fairly untouched!

chevypu2_zps0c21d80e.jpg

Came apart fairly easily

No warpage so far,...

Thinkin' some thing like this

chevypu_zps55224c76.jpg

I do have this as a donor

chevypu4_zpse4086967.jpg

Nascar engine fits in perfect

Everything in brake fluid right now for an overnight stay!

Happy modelling

Cheers

Edited by Belugawrx

The glue bomb looks to the old MPC '78 Chevy, with the custom grille from possibly the Super Duallie issue. You're not really going to be able to use much from the donor Revell kit, they don't match up very well. If you can give me a bit (gotta go in, supper's ready) I have a few pix comparing unbuilt versions of both kits.

Seems I may have mis-spoke. While I do have unbuilts of both kits, I only have one pic comparing the cabs. Seems most of what I took of the Revell cab are comparing it to the Monogram kit. However, her is the one ca comparison pic I did take.

005_zps43c783f7.jpg

The MPC cab is on the left, Revell in the middle, Monogram on the right.

Thnx for the info Bill

Found this,... after out of bath

IMG_4154600x450_zpsded5b2b2.jpg

IMG_4158600x450_zpsdf0f4913.jpg

Neither kit is complete or has instructions ,... so I will try to blend..the two

IMG_4155600x450_zpsa00801a0.jpg

The grille from the 86 mold fits the older 77

IMG_4157600x450_zpsc7efb58e.jpg

I like the engine bay on the 77 better

Looks like Brush paint red, Brush paint white, Brush paint silver, Spray red...

Back in the bath of Dot3 for the night

Cheers

The body you have is from the original 1978 model year kit that was issued; the only 2WD one. It had that custom grille in it.

You made me get mine out and look at it! I had forgotten that it has that grille, too.

Edited by Longbox55

If it were mine, I would use as much from that MPC glue-bomb as I can, even if you have to resort to repairing some parts. Also, if you can get your hands on one of the AMT '84 GMC PU Kits, that should give you a lot of parts that will work on this kit. The Revell kit is not too good in my opinion.

The Chassis is stamped 1977,.....???

Kit was released in 1977; the truck depicted could be a 77 or 78.

also hate how most 73-87 model chevy trucks have silly sunroof holes in them

as bad as they are, i like that your saving it!

The Revell kits either have a small sunroof hole or a slightly bigger hole for a hood blister with clearance lights and mounting bosses for air horns. The MPC kits have cut guide lines but a solid roof.

The Chassis is stamped 1977,.....???

Technically speaking, the 1978 Model Year trucks were introduced in September of 1977 so that would be correct. As others have said, finding one of the 84 GMC pickups from MPC would yield many of the parts you need.

also hate how most 73-87 model chevy trucks have silly sunroof holes in them

as bad as they are, i like that your saving it!

Not gunnta

This roof is getting hardtopped

Thnx 4 the interest

I do like the custom

Q, C. & C's welcome

Cheers

Technically speaking, the 1978 Model Year trucks were introduced in September of 1977 so that would be correct. As others have said, finding one of the 84 GMC pickups from MPC would yield many of the parts you need.

tooled up in the same year??

O K...... soooo,....

It's the 1977 MPC release of the 1:1 '78! Chev Stepside???

How is this possible??

Call me a fool or enlighten me :lol::D:lol:

Cheers

You are not a fool. On real vehicles changes from year to year are normally done to either change the looks, or to improve the product. If the vehicle's changes are not too dramtic, then the updated parts can probably be used in vehicles from various years. In the case of the '73 through '87 Chevrolet/GMC pickup trucks, several of the parts interchange. In the model world, MPC produced various models of this vehicle from 1977 (1978 Chevrolet 2wd Stepside Pickup) through 1984 and beyond (1984 GMC Fleetside 4wd Pickup). The parts from the kits that were changed from year to year were the grilles, wheels, 4wd drive axles (1979 trough 1984 kits), etc. The "Fall Guy" variation of this kit had a Fleetside bed, which will fit on all the other variants, without a lot of extra work. The 1978 edition of this kit was the only one with the 2wd front end setup, but the chassis will fit on all of them. The common parts of the kit were not changed over the kits run (Glass, basic interior tub, engine, chassis). If you can find an AMT 1984 GMC Pickup, buy it. with the exception of the hood and grille, the parts in it will be fresh and clean, and will fit. The Revell parts will not work without a whole lot of modification.

My reasoning for replying to this post, is that I sold Chevrolet trucks from 1978 through 2007. These vehicles have a special place in my heart, and I have had several of that series of truck as company demonstrators over the years. I also have a couple of the 1984 GMC kits, an original 1978 Chevy Pickup kit, and I just picked up a 1980 Chevrolet Pickup kit, all unbuilt, and no, none are for sale or trade. With the kits I have, I plan to recreate a couple of my demostrators. Build to come later.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dan

thnx for the reminder...

Been in the Dot 3,....

Since the last post :lol: :lol: :lol:

Taking it out now! Alot of paint still has to come off.IMG_4206600x450_zps97d5e995.jpg

Driver's door bottom sanded to white plastic!

I dont know what he put on this ( paint wise), there is some blue too!!! IMG_4207600x450_zps8dab8f76.jpg]but it is a bear getting it off!!

I haven't done a salt technique = Rust yet,

Maybe this is a prime candidate!?!

The 06 350Z and the 55 Belaire have been getting the attention

And of course work.....

Thnx for checkin' in

Cheers

Edited by Belugawrx