Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run CBP 2012

slantasaurus

Since several of you already know this is coming I thought I'd start the thread now. I'm going to wait until Jan 1st to unvail the rules though. First I'd like to thank Jantrix who has moderated the Cannonball Runs on the other forum for the past few years, he has done a wonderfull job and I can only hope to make this years as much fun as his have been. It is with his blessing that I have taken over moderating and moving this years Cannonball to this site as we still have a "Poll" feature and that will be very important as for the first time ever there will be actuall prizes for the top 3 vote getters (excluding myself if I should place). I'm still finalizing a few detalis as I was thinking of a Feb 1st start but I think I will move that up to Jan 1st when I post the rules. Some of you from the other forum may know what I have in mind already, but lets not post any hints just yet.

Entry List:

Slantasaurus : 1962 Dodge Dart 440 Convertible

Jantrix : 1949 Ford Coupe

Lunajammer : 1960 Corvette

AndyC : 1955 Chevy gasser

BKcustoms : 1962 Chevy Impala

patami : 1958 AC Ace Bristol

W-409 : 1957 Chrysler 300 C

A.R.C : 1957 Ford Fairlane

mopar01lee : 1956 Chevy Nomad gasser

Swifster : 1962 Porsche 356B Carrera Cabriolet

Erik Smith : 1948 Ford Coupe

08Seal : 1950 Ford F-1 pick up

Corvair Jim : 1960 Plymouth Fury Sport Suburban

hvymtl : 1962 Pontiac Catilina 421 SD

Nick Winter : 1949 Mercury (AMT kit)

Zenrat : 1960 Chevy pick up

jonno356SC : Porsche 356A 1500 Carrera Speedster

Wagoneer81 : 1956 Ford Sedan Delivery

ChevyCoupe41 : 1962 Ford Thunderbird

rv1963 : 1957 Chevy 150 Black Widow

MLM Design : 1955 Corvette

vwdave92 : 1949 Mercury (Revell kit)

Edited by slantasaurus

Its almost time guys, so lets get the Cannonball Run 2012 started. Some of you already know, but nobody seemed to understand my clue yesterday....Wolfman Jack was a big part of the movie American Graffiti and that will be the theme of this years Cannonball. The advertizing for the movie asked the question "Where were you in 62 ?", since 2012 is the 50th annaversery of 1962 it makes sense to go with it. I didn't want to do the whole apoccolipse thing and besides there seem to be a lot of kits that fit the build era for this that are out right now. You don't need to build a car from the movie, just any car/truck built to a 1962 styles. Here are the list of rules for this build.

1) First rule, as per Jantrix, this is all about having fun.

2) All cars/trucks, equiptment, and build styles must be circa 1962. Period correct Street Rods, Finned 50's iron, Kustoms, solid axle Corvettes, or anything else you can think of that might have been on the roads in 1962.

3) No Rat Rods, please. Rat Rods are actually a modern creation if you ask people who were around back then they will tell you that things weren't done like that. Primered, unfinished Kustom and Street Rods are OK for this build if you choose but leave the rusty, crusty stuff for another build.

4) Build starts January 1st, 2012 at Midnight EST and ends November 30, 2012 at Midnight EST. I know there are a few Austrailian and maybe Europian builders, you'll have to do your own math on that....lol. I am also going to institute a cut off date of October 1 2012 so that it makes things fair to everyone. This will give people at least 2 months to build and keeps anyone from joining at the last minute to try and steal the show.

5) You must show a picture of the kit, collection of parts, or rebuilder that you are starting with. If possible try to post at least 1 update per month even if it just says "I haven't finished any work, but I'm still here...".I won't disqualify anyone for not posting enough updates, but it keeps people motivated and helps everyones projects move along.

6) On December 1, 2012 I will start a new thread in the "Under Glass" section for everyone to post their finished entrys, you must post their to be included in the voting. On December 8, 2012 I will start a new poll thread in the "General" section of the forum to let everyone on the forum to vote for their favorite builds of the American Graffiti Cannonball Run 2012. For the first time ever there will be prizes for the Top 3 vote getters. I have a large stash of kits that I know I'll never build and I think I can afford to give a few away for all the great work of our forum members who take the time to compete in this years Cannonball. I will send out a list of kits I have available to the winners and you will be able to choose a kit that you like best.

7) I may make a few exceptions to rules regarding tires on some builds. Obviously, no modern 20+" low profile wheels/tires will be allowed but I might let a few Radial tires slip through if someone uses a GT Radial because it is the right size or fits the wheel of your build. Whenever possible, please turn the lettering of these tires to the inside or use the versions without lettering to make things less obvious. Another exception would be any upgrades of older cars to 12Volt electrical systems, this modification would have been done on some cars in 1962, so if you put a 12V battery on your Hundon Hornet its fine. Not everyone has a parts box with 6V batterys and lots of tires to choose from, I don't expect somebody to have to place an order with a resin caster just to get period correct tires.

I think that just about covers the rules, if you have any questions you can post them here or PM me anytime durring the build. Have fun, put on some Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Booker T & the MG's, or whatever oldies you like and lets go back to 1962.

Slant, thanks so much for throwing the props my way. I had a good time running the Cannonball, and I'm real glad you've moved it here. Hopefully we'll get all the great builders we've had in the past join us here.

One reason I stopped running the Cannonball was that I had nothing "Cannonball-esque" in the planning stages. But now with your theme, that might be more do-able. No promises, but we'll see what I can come up with.

Happy New Year ya'll!

EDIT: Another thing you might want to think about. This is the Cannonball - cross country race set in 1962. The cars should reflect more than just whatever folks were driving in '62. It's gotta look like it could actually do the deed. So yeah, we had gassers in '62 but would you want to try to carve a corner in one? Just food for thought.

Edited by Jantrix

Guess im the first to post pics :)

Here is the parts heap:

Partheap.jpg

And some test shot of the wheels and tires:

2012-01-01-105145.jpg

Might yet go for some other tires since those are Dunlop Racing tires, and Jantrix stated its good to think: would i wanna drive cross the country whit racing tires. I guess not. :D

Hi I'm Kurt some of you might know me as ace-motorsport on the other forum, feels a bit weird entering the same comp on a different forum kinda like jumping ship to irl from cart to run at indy I guess, because of last years pre 81 and this years pre 62 rules looks like my plans for a mental (well i think mental is an understatement) 93 Ford Ranger will be pushed back for a second year, I'll be entering a blue oval product of some sort this run just gotta find the right kit :)

Edited by KurtisEBear

Ok, after some thinking and looking of my unbuilt kits, I decided to go with '57 Chrysler 300C. Hilborn Fuel Injection system and Hemi engine. Not sure about the tire and wheel choice, but I might go with steelies. B)

EDIT: Another thing you might want to think about. This is the Cannonball - cross country race set in 1962. The cars should reflect more than just whatever folks were driving in '62. It's gotta look like it could actually do the deed. So yeah, we had gassers in '62 but would you want to try to carve a corner in one? Just food for thought.

They did it in Two Lane Blacktop :lol:

Here's a picture of my kit...As always please excuse my horrible photographing skills.

One piece of advise. Would have been a better pic if you had put those parts on the white carpet an added some more light. Otherwise a good pic.

yeah finding tires will be fun plus with '62 tech maybe consider having spares along for the ride

Michael

I been wondering can i use Firestone super sport F70 tires. I mean where they around in 62? Or did they come later? But yeah considering the road back then and the tires thats might bee a good idea.