Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 J. Flintstone El Camino

I purchased a 1972 Jimmy Flintstone El Camino and understand the donor kit is the AMT 1968 El Camino. I was wondering how many AMT 1968 El Camino and 1972 Chevelle parts can be used on this kit? For example:

1. Can I use the chassis from the 1968 AMT instead of the resin chassis?

2. Does the glass from the 1968 AMT fit in the 1972?

3. Instead of using the front grille/headlights from the Flintstone kit, can I use the grille and headlights from the Chevelle?

4. Are the tail lights from the 1968 AMT a perfect fit?

This is my first resin kit and it seems daunting to say the least but I was not born knowing what donor parts to use and there are no instructions nor suggestions with the resin kit I purchased.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

R. Potter

I purchased a 1972 Jimmy Flintstone El Camino and understand the donor kit is the AMT 1968 El Camino. I was wondering how many AMT 1968 El Camino and 1972 Chevelle parts can be used on this kit? For example:

1. Can I use the chassis from the 1968 AMT instead of the resin chassis?

2. Does the glass from the 1968 AMT fit in the 1972?

3. Instead of using the front grille/headlights from the Flintstone kit, can I use the grille and headlights from the Chevelle?

4. Are the tail lights from the 1968 AMT a perfect fit?

This is my first resin kit and it seems daunting to say the least but I was not born knowing what donor parts to use and there are no instructions nor suggestions with the resin kit I purchased.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

R. Potter

Taillights would be diff. Big change from 68 to 72. 72 Chevelle grill should work along with the front glass.

Unfortunatly Jimmy used a AMT 69 El Camino as the basic kit, and not the 68. This is a problem because the 69 kit had a seperate end cap that glued on; Jimmy did not cast this.

I left the part from my mint 69 kit with Missing Link Resins in Toledo, and I havn't contacted them yet to find out if they've casted it. I need several copies as I also have an incomplete 69 kit that's missing it.

I would use the 68 El Camino chassis...the bed of the 68 was a seperate, multi-part unit so the chassis should fit under the bed of the JF 72 with little diffaculty. I've not done any test fitting yet, though. I have a few spare 68s, one to put under the JF body, and another to put under the body I was given.

You will need an AMT Chevelle for the grill and bumpers and whatnot.

You should probably also know that the JF body is not really correct, as he just grafted a nose from a Chevelle onto an El Camino body...the El Camino while looking very similar was actually totally different sheet metal...but it's the best we are likely to ever get in scale, so it's worth ignoring.

I have one that I bought about 5 years ago now and havn't actually even started on yet.

Unfortunatly Jimmy used a AMT 69 El Camino as the basic kit, and not the 68. This is a problem because the 69 kit had a seperate end cap that glued on; Jimmy did not cast this.

I left the part from my mint 69 kit with Missing Link Resins in Toledo, and I havn't contacted them yet to find out if they've casted it. I need several copies as I also have an incomplete 69 kit that's missing it.

I would use the 68 El Camino chassis...the bed of the 68 was a seperate, multi-part unit so the chassis should fit under the bed of the JF 72 with little diffaculty. I've not done any test fitting yet, though. I have a few spare 68s, one to put under the JF body, and another to put under the body I was given.

You will need an AMT Chevelle for the grill and bumpers and whatnot.

You should probably also know that the JF body is not really correct, as he just grafted a nose from a Chevelle onto an El Camino body...the El Camino while looking very similar was actually totally different sheet metal...but it's the best we are likely to ever get in scale, so it's worth ignoring.

I have one that I bought about 5 years ago now and havn't actually even started on yet.

Billy,

It's more correct than you think. While it is a Chevelle front clip, the Chevelle fender lines were smoothed to match the '72 Elky. If you get the "complete" JF Elky kit, it comes with the end cap in question. I recently acquired one and it is on my bench. I'm using a '72 Chevelle front bumper and grille and while I got a Modelhaus '69 Elky rear bumper, it is too wide to fit. The JF Elky suffers from a little bit of shrinkage, so I'm a little torn on whether to use that or the JF rear and Alclad.

My kit also came with photoetched El Camino SS emblems and such...BONUS!!! The complete kit has the body, end cap for the cab, interior tub, front and rear bumpers, chassis, and photoetch. My chassis was ruff, but Steve Milberry gave me a nice original from a builder he had...DOUBLE BONUS!!!

Watch later in the year for some updates.

With regards to the tail lights, they are different. Look at the black 68 in the picture. You'll see small pieces of trim that connect the tail lights to the bed trim. The 69-72's don't have this. GM added reflectors to the rear and widened the tail light bucket to accomodate them. On a 1/25th scale model you may not notice the difference, but on the 1:1 you do. The front fenders on 70-72 Chevelles and EC's are different. The Chevelles have a body line in the middle.

Craig

• 1 month later...
With regards to the tail lights, they are different. Look at the black 68 in the picture. You'll see small pieces of trim that connect the tail lights to the bed trim. The 69-72's don't have this. GM added reflectors to the rear and widened the tail light bucket to accomodate them. On a 1/25th scale model you may not notice the difference, but on the 1:1 you do. The front fenders on 70-72 Chevelles and EC's are different. The Chevelles have a body line in the middle.

Craig

Are there any "aftermarket" tail lights that would work?

Are there any "aftermarket" tail lights that would work?

You could probably add a small piece of red sprue from another kit to fill the space between the 68 lens and the 72 bucket. You can also get them from the Modelhaus. They have them for the 69 EC $2.50.