Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Buick GSX--in 1/25

Snake45

I'm not really a diecast collector, but when I run across a cheap one that's close to 1/24-1/25 scale and a subject of interest to me, I pick it up and then "model on" it a little bit just for fun. This is a cheap Welly chinese diecast '70 Buick GSX I got even cheaper used at a flea market, with only minor dings and damage. I did the following to it:

1. Removed much of the badly-tampoed silver "chrome" trim with rubbing alcohol and re-did it with a silver Sharpie.

2. Detail-painted the black areas of the factory steel wheels.

3. Painted the white backup lights.

4. Added the chrome rocker panel trim with Walmart aluminum tape. (Cheap! Fast! Easy! What's not to like?)

5. Removed body from chassis so I could paint the back of the headlight mounting stems with a drop of white paint, removing the "googly eyes" look that this type of headlight has.

6. Painted inner perimeter of the chrome grille shell with Testor Flat Steel.

7. The right parking light (in the front bumper) was missing when I bought the thing. I removed the left one, made a mold of it from silicone caulk, and cast a copy in common clear epoxy. You can't tell it from the "real" one.

8. Painted the (separate) glossy black plastic hood tach with Tamiya Flat Black to match the striping on the rest of the hood.

The whole time I was working on it, I thought it was seriously undersized, like maybe somewhere around 1/27-1/29 scale, as I'm used to working on the Monogram 1/24 scale model. But comparing it an MPC '70 GTO promo and a built AMT '72 Chevelle in 1/25, it looks right at home with them. The wheelbase is just a HAIR shorter than the other two, and using that for reference, it actually scales out at 1/25.6. Close enough for Snakework!

For the minimal cost ($10) and effort (2-3 hours total, for everything) involved, I'm pretty pleased with it. What do you think?

70BuicGSX03_zps879562b6.jpg

70BuicGSX04_zps82cfd105.jpg

70BuicGSX05_zps851aee4e.jpg

70BuicGSX07_zps16db2534.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments. My favorite thing about this is that it's 1/25 or darn close to it. It can sit on the shelf with my other 1/25 GM musclecars without "overpowering" them like the 1/24 Monogram one does. It sits a little higher than my plastic models, and next to them looks a bit jacked up, but I'm sure I could lower the simple metal axles easily if the mood ever struck me someday. It's a pretty simple model, really.