Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's hear/see your Craft Store findings for our models!

Dante, thanks for your compliment on the 37. This is one of my favorite models. Nothing exotic or special on the bed. I brush painted the floor with Testors enamel (I think the shade is just called "wood"), from the little glass bottles, then used a Testors silver marker for the metal rails. The marker tip fits nicely in the rails and makes a good straight line of silver. Pretty easy.

Sam

Thank you sir!!!

• 6 months later...

not exactly hobby shop but if you find a broken car ariel and cut the bottom off it the telescoping parts will then push out of each other and you end up with a whole load of chrome plated brass tubing.

as well as all the usual uses for nice shiny tubing, the top end of each piece is bevelled and makes great exhaust tips.

Edited by spotarama

IMG_3332-vi.jpg

I had searched all the craft stores looking for fabric with a small enough pattern to be used in scale. I even struck out at Joann's, which is a fabric store. Then I was in Walmart looking around and found that they had most of the supplies that the others had but cheaper. For instance, I was looking at pins with different size heads including the round glass ones for shifters. The packs (which will last a lifetime) were at least a dollar cheaper at Wally's.

Then I found they had small pieces of fabric for crafts and patching in different colors and patterns. The price? 99 cents! Here's one that worked on the sofa cushions in my camper. And I still have enough to do another 100 sofas!

MVC011F-vi.jpg

and lets not forget the stuff from the other aisles of the hobby shop. Check out the big rack of model ship building supplies. I have two different color/texture rigging ropes that I use on my light commercial projects. There are little eyelets that are perfect for routing brake lines and the small brass ship nails in the above photo. I've used them as dash knobs and all the pulls on the drawers in my camper projects.

Edited by Tom Geiger

I might loose man points here but,,, I worked in a Rubber stamp store for awhile. (it was a friends and they needed somebody to run the cash register) Embossing powder is typically on top of pigment or dye based Ink and then its heated to turn that embossed look.

Thinking about the heating part... should we be concerned about models out in heat or sun melting the embossing powders in our models? I'm thinking about Tomo's VW as a worse case.

I've used nearly all the above, plus crimp beads for guage bezels. This is an awesome thread. There are times I will go to the craft store just to wander the aisles for ideas. One of my favorite uses is the 1/8th ribbon for seat belts and velvet ribbon (2.5 inches wide) for headliners and carpet. The caveat on the velvet ribbon is they usually only have it at Christmastime.

While perusing the clearance aisle at our local 'Great Wal of Mart' the other day, I found these sequins among the craft ribbon:

DSCN5699-vi.jpg

After a little snipping of thread and maybe 20 minutes of 'down time' during the TV news, I stripped the bottom roll(1/2" x 12 feet) clean and yielded a lifetime supply of CDs for car interiors. Snipping them in half makes for a convincing 'in-dash' player, like I did in my Miata in the 1990s:

DSCN3059-vi.jpg

Like many things in this thread, I love this! However, this is the one that I will most likely use. I was just thinking of a way to make some CD's.

Some great finds posted here! The embossing powder works well over double sided tape also BTW

A couple of recent ones I came across, a few things at the craft store, and others at the dollar store

craft store - aluminum screen mesh, 0.10 thickness, 12"x24" & some thick "sip straws" which come in various shapes, and square, for scratch building & Cyanoacrylate glue, in sizes double the hobby store & 2/3 the price!

The craft store is also a good place to find tools! micro (vice) drill sets, exacto refills, scribing tools, proper clay for silicone molds, etc.

dollar store - various emery boards (nail files), cushioned and hardboard ones, plus buffer type (ultra fine) & stir sticks (for molding work) & mini spring clamps & various thickness styrene signs, much cheaper than sheet packs at hobby store! they also had self-healing mats at my local dollar store for cheap!

post-12003-0-65299800-1374746976_thumb.j

post-12003-0-53102200-1374747088_thumb.j

post-12003-0-33111800-1374747134_thumb.j

post-12003-0-56047600-1374747214_thumb.j

post-12003-0-75948000-1374747254_thumb.j

post-12003-0-63417800-1374747289_thumb.j

Some great finds posted here! The embossing powder works well over double sided tape also BTW

A couple of recent ones I came across, a few things at the craft store, and others at the dollar store

craft store - aluminum screen mesh, 0.10 thickness, 12"x24" & some thick "sip straws" which come in various shapes, and square, for scratch building & Cyanoacrylate glue, in sizes double the hobby store & 2/3 the price!

The craft store is also a good place to find tools! micro (vice) drill sets, exacto refills, scribing tools, proper clay for silicone molds, etc.

dollar store - various emery boards (nail files), cushioned and hardboard ones, plus buffer type (ultra fine) & stir sticks (for molding work) & mini spring clamps & various thickness styrene signs, much cheaper than sheet packs at hobby store! they also had self-healing mats at my local dollar store for cheap!

Great finds!! Guess I'll be cashing in my quarter's sooner than I thought! :lol:

Money's money. It all spends the same. Given most of the time I use the Coin Star's so it is less troubling for both me and the cashier.

Here's some 5MM Sequins that I got off of Ebay to imitate CD's. 300 count for $1.99 with free shipping. Before I placed them in the car, I did upload some AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Kiss, etc. to the CD's so rocking out won't be a problem. B):D

IMG_20130726_121011_zpsc6873c7c.jpg

IMG_20130727_105719_zpsc27d083d.jpg

I love this thread, awesome ideas, I build mostly lowriders and my favorite are from the 70's, with rabbit ear antenna, fish tanks, and chandelier's . I use these to make the chandelier's. Just add fine wire and add more clear pieces to it, then glue to headliner.

Edited by Darren B

Money's money. It all spends the same. Given most of the time I use the Coin Star's so it is less troubling for both me and the cashier.

Here's some 5MM Sequins that I got off of Ebay to imitate CD's. 300 count for $1.99 with free shipping. Before I placed them in the car, I did upload some AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Kiss, etc. to the CD's so rocking out won't be a problem. B):D

IMG_20130726_121011_zpsc6873c7c.jpg

Now that is a very cool idea!

There's not too much call for them, but it also makes nice curb feelers:

DSCN6381_edited-vi.jpg

3/16" eyelets make decent carb stacks for hot rods:

DSCN1048-vi.jpg

I have a couple more, but Fotki is giving me fits right now....

I went to michaels and could not find the eyelets, do you remember the brand name for them, those stacks look as good or better to me than the aluminum ones.

I went to michaels and could not find the eyelets, do you remember the brand name for them, those stacks look as good or better to me than the aluminum ones.

I don't remember the name, but I can get them locally if you have enough trouble getting them in your neck of the woods.

This is not really a craft store find so it might be slightly off topic. Habitat for Humanity opened up a resale store in an empty supermarket store space here in Williamsburg. So Wednesday I go in to look around. I picked up a four pieces of PVC pipe fixtures and a couple of tiles for a total of $1. I glued the fixtures to the tiles and now I have four holders for liquid glue/paint/whatever that keep me from knocking the bottle over. But wait the best is yet to come. I figure I will head over to the paint/adhesive section and see what they have there.

Lo and behold there is a metal fishing tackle box. Inside are 40 different shades of Polly S paints all still liquid. Also inside there are alligator clips, swiss files, 8 brushes from 2 to 000, and a couple of tool handles. Total cost 6.

My next project is to make an RPM controller for my dremel. Cost will be around 3. There is a lot of wild stuff in there. Tools, donated surplus material and furniture and kitchen gear.

Not only a good deal, but helping out a good cause.

If you have something similar in your area check it out.

Bob Gregory

Messing up one kit at a time.