Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thanks Bill.

This is the beginning of the intake manifold. It is all brass soldered together. Mounting surfaces are acid cut and the tubes are just K&S stock cut and machined to fit.

DSC01851_zps27f9bfc7.jpg

This is the carb master and manifold dry fitted to the head.

DSC01857_zpsec4b407e.jpg

please xplain to me the "acid cut" can i do this? your work is excellent!

Thanks guys. While I'll be casting the carbs, and I can make more than I need for this car, without the machined details they won't be complete or look right.

I use Legos to make my mold frames. (The plug in the center of the tire master is made of Renshape.)

DSC01873_zpsfdd91c8f.jpg

Not only are the Legos easy to work with and reusable, they also can be stacked to fit more molds in the vacuum/pressure vessel. This is the rim master on top of the tire master to cast the first half of the molds.

DSC01875_zps58c04281.jpg

Mark... looking good. Can you take pics of the rim and tire molds when u are done. I am curious as to what they will look like. I am assuiming are you making them a 2 piece mold. I have been considerinng trying to mold some parts myself just havent been brave enough to tey it yet.

Hey Mark... thanks for sharing the mold. It looks great. I do have a dumb question on the mold. Is there a spot on the mold where you are pouring the resin in or do you pour the resin both halfs and then put together. I guess i am wondering how you get the matung surfaces of the two halves so smooth as well. Keep up the great process.

Awesome! You are a real master craftsman.

Maybe I missed it, but how did you create the sidewall lettering on the tire master?

Thanks! I cut the lettering in vinyl and applied it to the master.

Hey Mark... thanks for sharing the mold. It looks great. I do have a dumb question on the mold. Is there a spot on the mold where you are pouring the resin in or do you pour the resin both halfs and then put together. I guess i am wondering how you get the matung surfaces of the two halves so smooth as well. Keep up the great process.

You're welcome. This one has a fill gate and I prefill the mold with resin before putting the halves together, then I "top it off" through the fill gate. I think the part about the smooth mating surfaces you're referring to is more related to the mold construction than the casting of the parts.

You're welcome. This one has a fill gate and I prefill the mold with resin before putting the halves together, then I "top it off" through the fill gate. I think the part about the smooth mating surfaces you're referring to is more related to the mold construction than the casting of the parts.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions. Very cool on filling the halfs with resin then topping it off thru the fill gate. You are correct about the mating surfaces. When you had shown us the mold box you were creating with legos I was trying to figure out where your parting line was gonna go for the two halves. Keep on trucking. And I look forward to seeing more on this project. Edited by Mooneyzs

Thanks again guys! Yeah, parts count... The last one, even though kit based, had a couple thousand parts (mostly machined) added.

Here is the first cast tire on the first cast rim outer. I cast both parts from molds I made off masters I created. The tire is hollow and easily stretches over the one piece rim. It is so soft and pliable that it should “squat” under the weight of the car.

Front:

DSC01914_zps9a9c4294.jpg

Back:

DSC01915_zpscbba5d4e.jpg