Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oh no! Not another VW buss...

tiking

...but I promise this is the last one(fingers crossed). When I bought a second one I had something totally different in mind but decided bot to do it. So I just went ahead and built it as is. Nothing fancy but the usual theme but more mobile than the last one. The downside with these hasegawa models is that there interior detail is poor. So most of the parts, like pedals, knobs and brake handles had to be scratch built.

The seats are not perfect but will have to do. The hand brakes is not typical for this model but I decided it would have been changed to make shift part, due to lack of spare parts. Anyways, the entire hand brake frame is not seen when the chassi is put into the body frame.

The crackle paint effect was an idea I got from someone doing an unprofessional paint job. After-all this van was imported from a not so developed land, so I think this concept would pass.

The diorama is just a temporary placement for the model as I have not 100% decided on it or if I would just have it sitting on a plain base... :rolleyes:

vw_1967_van.jpg

vw_1967_van2.jpg

vw_1967_van3.jpg

vw_1967_van4.jpg

Edited by tiking

Great base and great build.....but not sure on the crackled door

I agree.

Your weathering/rusting is obviously brilliant, but I have to question a few of your decisions, like the out of scale crackling on the door paint, and the oddly bent front bumper. How would the bumper ever have been bent like that in the "real world" without any other dents or damage? Did some 3,000 pound guy step on it?

I think that sometimes when people weather models, they get into the weathering process but forget to keep in mind how and where weathering/rust/damage would occur in reality.

Something hitting at "just the right angle" and moving in same direction. It hits just the top of the bumper and forces it down ... maybe the shape of the front end, like an under pan, forces it down more and the VW bumper bracket forces the bend at that point while the remainder of the bumper stats about where it started.

This is "beautiful"!!

The thing that really impresses me about your models is... the closer you take the photo, the more realistic it looks! I like to take photos of my models at a distance... so all the flaws don't show!

Very, very impressive... and I'm sure that's not the first time a body shop has seen a bumper bent like that. LOL!

Tony

I agree.

Your weathering/rusting is obviously brilliant, but I have to question a few of your decisions, like the out of scale crackling on the door paint, and the oddly bent front bumper. How would the bumper ever have been bent like that in the "real world" without any other dents or damage? Did some 3,000 pound guy step on it?

I think that sometimes when people weather models, they get into the weathering process but forget to keep in mind how and where weathering/rust/damage would occur in reality.

In regards to the bumper, I've seen this before on the road but never bother to ask why. So there. ;) As for the crackle, well, maybe it is a bit out of scale. So I'll see what I can do. I'll probably remove it all together. Thank you for your critique. And thanks to all of you that responded.

like the seats.. what did you use for stuffing? I have some old foam rubber I got years ago that has been being exposed to light, air, etc for about 10 years (in a paper bag) that I used fr packing models, and will be gluing it inide my seats... the texture and color is identical to the REAL foam in my REAL car that is the same make & model as the model I am building... but I like your seats for older cars...

like the seats.. what did you use for stuffing? I have some old foam rubber I got years ago that has been being exposed to light, air, etc for about 10 years (in a paper bag) that I used fr packing models, and will be gluing it inide my seats... the texture and color is identical to the REAL foam in my REAL car that is the same make & model as the model I am building... but I like your seats for older cars...

Thank you. I achieve the seats with pretty basic method. Not pro, mind you. But hopefully close.

1. I cut off the back of the seat from the other half. Then smoothed down any sharp areas.

2. Used thin Tamiya tape and placed it on both back and lower parts of the seats.

3. Then primed

4. Then sprayed with a brown paint from a can( do not own an airbrush)

5. Took a sharp Xto knife and carefully made slits in the tape and opened them up a little.

6. Then I took insulation fibers collected at work and stuffed it in all openings. Then went over everything with black pigment and real dirt.

That's it. The unprofessional method.

Man that front bumper is perfect, when I was 17 my buddy got his 73 4dr maverick stuck on the beach and another buddy wrapped a rope a few times around the front bumper and pulled the bumper straight out. After we took it over to a cement wall to nudge it up against and the way it bent back it looked just like yours. Just cause they bend straight out doesn't meen they bend back that way.

Edited by Bart68

• 2 weeks later...