Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Jukebox Ford

racer3270

Hello,

I'm sorta new around here so its nice to meet all of you. Although I don't post very often I enjoy looking around on MCM for ideas and love some of the creations I see. There is a lot of talent on here.

This is my current project that I'm taking a swing at. It's the original 55 Jukebox Ford kit. On this one i'm trying to do a little more than just put it together. I plan on some wiring, seat belts, delay box, and all that good stuff. I've never got super detailed on any of my builds but I've always wanted to try. At this point there isn't much to report. I put together the Protech distributor and it is ready to put on the engine. Also glued in a few loops to the firewall to run wires. I have everything stripped and primed except for the body. Just waiting on a nice day to shoot some paint. Thanks for looking! Comments are always welcome good or bad.

post-9717-0-31474500-1377099188_thumb.jp

post-9717-0-78412300-1377099205_thumb.jp

post-9717-0-92804700-1377099224_thumb.jp

post-9717-0-45212800-1377099244_thumb.jp

post-9717-0-40184100-1377099261_thumb.jp

post-9717-0-46456600-1377099277_thumb.jp

post-9717-0-92425200-1377099361_thumb.jp

Edited by racer3270

Had this model, builds out pretty nice, lost most of it but have the original body (painted & decaled) & a spare body, plan (sometime) to combine the 2 bodies (lengthen the front end) & build it as a modern P/M, scratch-build a chassis & use a Ross Gibson motor, also have 2 of the '55 Bel Aires (Streetburner & Charles Carpenters version), plan on the same thing there & have a Christine body which will also be done up as a modern looking P/M. Your build is looking real nice so far!

Well it threatened rain all day here which makes it hard to paint with acrylics lol. everything is taped up for round two of paint. In the meantime I've been working on a few little things like the carburetor detail. I make my compression fittings from Beadalon crimp tube painted with Tamiya Clear Red and Clear Blue. Its a lot cheaper and they don't look too bad. I bought the detail master carb linkage and hardware kit to try. I also bought a few throttle return springs a while back. The car has a double carb setup and i'm not entirely sure how to hook up the return spring. Any ideas? I haven't researched it enough to know for sure and I've never attempted it before. The plan is to run fuel lines on the carburetors which leads to my second question... I know the carbs have two lines running out of each carb and they connect via a T-fitting, but where does the line ultimately run? I know this sounds like a silly question but the obvious answer would be the fuel tank right? Another thing for me to look up I guess. I just want to be sure and get it right. Thanks in advance for any and all help. I appreciate it. All comments welcomed and thanks for looking

post-9717-0-51885600-1377229010_thumb.jp

post-9717-0-18415500-1377229021_thumb.jp

post-9717-0-72466500-1377229040_thumb.jp

post-9717-0-02256000-1377229060_thumb.jp

Edited by racer3270

Got my ProTech order in the mail today! Ordered a bunch of detail wire. I have also finished most of the painting for the interior parts and i'm very happy with how it turned out. I used Model Master Semi-Gloss Black acrylic. I don't normally mess around with acrylics too much but this was all I could find that was close. All the parts match really close and I couldn't be happier with the finish. Next step is to get some alclad on the motor and surrounding items under the hood so I can begin wiring and assembly. Thanks for looking!

post-9717-0-49547500-1377403462_thumb.jp

post-9717-0-26698000-1377403480_thumb.jp

post-9717-0-41669200-1377404066_thumb.jp

Looking good James, Pro-tech stuff is awesome to work with and look's so nice. I don't normally use acrylic's eithier ,but it seem's like you did a fine job with it. For a slighty sheen black I use model master Black Chrome Trim 2735....it is a enamel. It has just a little less shine than semi-gloss Krylon spray can for example. My camera get's stupid and flip's picture's sideway's also haha

I too have this one coming as a Christmas present! It'll be a new experience for me as I've fashioned the fuel lines for my WIP Nova from small arts & crafts hemp line painted silver. I then hand painted the red/blue anodized fittings with Testors. Pretty stone-aged, but I could never find a 1/25 scale guide for fuel line and simple fittings. I really don't want to crimp this or that. I messed with the real fuel line when I dragged and I still got scars from putting those together on an injected Mustang!

Rumors are the hood decals are a pain and most leave them off. I intend to make them work. I like your paint selection; a friend of mine just shot the car black which isn't original; I got deep burgundy red for the body and intend to research whether or not the wing was black. Depending on the slick size, I may try some wrinkle molded ones I have, but they may be a little small. SMBC (Scale Modeling by Chris) has a beautiful Vega on his site with wrinkle walls that really seem huge. Thanks to Tubbs and ScaleDale for their contributions as this will help me also.

I have a Revell Streetburner '55 Chevy in the closet to build next May and I intend to stuff a Ross Gibson blown engine in it like Dragracer says. I just hope I don't have to do any heavy fab work to make it fit as I've only built 1 model and 1 WIP in the last 45 years LOL! Good luck and keep us posted!

I too have this one coming as a Christmas present! It'll be a new experience for me as I've fashioned the fuel lines for my WIP Nova from small arts & crafts hemp line painted silver. I then hand painted the red/blue anodized fittings with Testors. Pretty stone-aged, but I could never find a 1/25 scale guide for fuel line and simple fittings. I really don't want to crimp this or that. I messed with the real fuel line when I dragged and I still got scars from putting those together on an injected Mustang!

Rumors are the hood decals are a pain and most leave them off. I intend to make them work. I like your paint selection; a friend of mine just shot the car black which isn't original; I got deep burgundy red for the body and intend to research whether or not the wing was black. Depending on the slick size, I may try some wrinkle molded ones I have, but they may be a little small. SMBC (Scale Modeling by Chris) has a beautiful Vega on his site with wrinkle walls that really seem huge. Thanks to Tubbs and ScaleDale for their contributions as this will help me also.

I have a Revell Streetburner '55 Chevy in the closet to build next May and I intend to stuff a Ross Gibson blown engine in it like Dragracer says. I just hope I don't have to do any heavy fab work to make it fit as I've only built 1 model and 1 WIP in the last 45 years LOL! Good luck and keep us posted!

Actually Mitch I haven't even started painting on the body of this thing yet. The original kit is molded in that color :)

James you have everyone excited about the JukeBox..any updates? Mitch here is a little reference chart as to fitting and hose sizes...I am pretty certain I got this off this forum from this section ,but can not remember from who.

BraidedLine_zps7d67d73a.jpg

I'm glad everyone is as excited as I am about this one. Not a whole lot of updates to report tonight. I started my first week of college yesterday and building kind of took a back seat to school work so I don't drown in it. I played around with the carburetors trying to get the detail just right. They aren't near done yet but I feel a little better about them. Right now I have all the parts taped and ready to shoot some alclad as soon as I find some time. I can't really start on anything else until the parts are done. Thanks everyone for your input and your patience. I really do appreciate all the tips, criticism, compliments, and references. Here's to hoping I find time to spray in the near future. Now its time for some much needed sleep. Goodnight yall

I just always liked the JukeBox, Soft Seal Chevy, and my favorite maybe of all time is the Christine pro mod. I built it with my dad as a kid and even though it's trashed I still have it to this day. Are you a Flyer??? as in Dayton Flyer's??? School is way important dude so you are certainly focused on the right stuff. Sound's like your going nut's on these carb's and I already thought they were looking rad. I do the same thing when I prep and paint, I get everything sanded,primed, taped ect and ready to go even if I can't paint it right away. Alclad is awesome stuff and some of the member's on here are amazing with the stuff. If you read the bottle you should be fine ,but I did learn a few trick's on here. You do not have to use black as a base coat....you can use dark blue, green even red for a different shine on the chrome, Gregg the site founder had a section in the magazine about it. Another member John Teresi said that he shoot's black, then clear and then the Alclad chrome which I tried and liked the result's. Have fun with it, when you do get time haha.

I just always liked the JukeBox, Soft Seal Chevy, and my favorite maybe of all time is the Christine pro mod. I built it with my dad as a kid and even though it's trashed I still have it to this day. Are you a Flyer??? as in Dayton Flyer's??? School is way important dude so you are certainly focused on the right stuff. Sound's like your going nut's on these carb's and I already thought they were looking rad. I do the same thing when I prep and paint, I get everything sanded,primed, taped ect and ready to go even if I can't paint it right away. Alclad is awesome stuff and some of the member's on here are amazing with the stuff. If you read the bottle you should be fine ,but I did learn a few trick's on here. You do not have to use black as a base coat....you can use dark blue, green even red for a different shine on the chrome, Gregg the site founder had a section in the magazine about it. Another member John Teresi said that he shoot's black, then clear and then the Alclad chrome which I tried and liked the result's. Have fun with it, when you do get time haha.

I am actually a Wright State Raider! and I'm trying to do as much detail as I can on the carburetors. I don't know how it will turn out but i'm not going to rush on them. I actually snuck in a little paint time tonight after school. One more session and I should be good to start some assembly of the motor. Who knows where it could go from there! I'm excited about it. Thanks everyone for following along

Mitch, on the one Jukebox that I built completely, i didn't have much trouble with the hood decal, the sides were a bit of a problem (not real bad tho) because of the size (length), over all it went together well, I wish I could remember what color paint I used on the body, it matched the photo pretty good, I do think the rear wing was painted black.

Here's a little update for you guys after the long weekend... I continued a lot of work on the carburetors. Decided to drop in some barrels made from brass tubing that I cut by hand with a dremel tool. I also ran some fuel line that looks somewhat believable. Even though it may not be 100% accurate i'm still pretty proud of it. Ive never been this deep into a model before. I shouldn't have zoomed in so far on my pictures... I promise it doesn't look that uneven from far away :lol: Tonight I dug out the two part tires and looked at them. They have the biggest seam ive ever seen on a slick before so there is gonna be a lot of work involved there. I've also been trying to plan ahead on this build, looking at things I need to wire and such. Anyone have any ideas how to scratchbuild a transbrake button? Everything I have tried has been disproportionate and too big. Thanks in advance for the help.

post-9717-0-64929900-1378175880_thumb.jp

post-9717-0-65969000-1378175886_thumb.jp

post-9717-0-50944500-1378175909_thumb.jp

post-9717-0-35288400-1378175920_thumb.jp

Edited by racer3270

James dude thing's are looking real good, I like the carb's. The fact that you aknowledge the slick's needing a lot of work comfort's me. Transbrake button is going to be a fun one, the one on my Dad's real race car is small so in scale it will be a difficult part to make. Keep up the good work.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update here on a Friday morning. I have been working more and more on the motor and even mounted it to the chassis. I also prepped the body for paint. I ran into a snag where I layed a towel soaked in thinner on the top of the body. So I am in the process of fixing that as well as some sink marks. Let me know whatcha think. Also I apologize for the sideways photographs ?

post-9717-0-64138000-1379687154_thumb.jp

post-9717-0-13999600-1379687200_thumb.jp

post-9717-0-30737500-1379687227_thumb.jp

post-9717-0-66777200-1379687255_thumb.jp

post-9717-0-57989400-1379687273_thumb.jp

post-9717-0-57303300-1379687288_thumb.jp

post-9717-0-20985100-1379687301_thumb.jp

Edited by racer3270