Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Bonneville

59-Desoto

Stated as a Hasegawa Kit and for all purposes only used the body and glass , the interior is from an original AMT 66 Bonneville kit I found on E Bay with the dash. There was no bucket seats and was about to order them from Modelhaus , had a tub from a 70 Bonni and while researching pictures of the 1:1 car I noticed the bench seats I had for the 70 was almost identical to those of a 66. Well that made my mind up to do a 66 Bonneville convertible with bench seats rather than the traditional bucket seat car. Being it wasn't an original AMT kit I wanted something unique. Used a chassis from a 65 Bonneville kit and as with all my convertible conversions the sun visors are scratch made to suit me. Hope you like it

DSCF4984-vi.jpgDSCF4983-vi.jpgDSCF4982-vi.jpgDSCF4985-vi.jpg

Edited by 59-Desoto

• 2 weeks later...

Beautifully done! And one of my all-time favourite cars. I have the same kit and will do a similar kit-bash.

The Hasegawa box says 1.24th but it's clearly 1.25th and the body is VERY similar to the original MPC as far as I can tell.

There was some tricky stuff to make it all come together and look half way right, The MPC tub as nowhere to mount it to this body was the 1st issue. The tail lights had to figure out how to get them to mount in the rear body panel to look correct, seen many builders not able to find a way to push them through so they looked correct. And them the chassis wheelbase didn't look correct using the one supplied. Took a bit to make it all come together. Not as good as Id hope for but good enough for a display car to fill a void.

:blink: Hi first this is a great build very nice. I am doing 2 of them I got my hand's on 3 of the Hasegawa kit's last year at a block sale I got all 3 for $6.00 had to do it. The 66 has always been one of my top 10 cars. I have no idea how they did what they did but it's not 1/24 or 1/25 it is some were in between. I am using the AMT 65 for the chases and motor and inside tub. I went to modelhause for the 66 hood and the chrome. When you cut out the hood the AMT 66 hood fit's like a glove and that's 1/25 the chrome the taillights bezel fits like a glove the rear bumper also fits great but when you get to the chrome for the grill it has to be trimed or use the kit grill and the AMT front bumper and head lights are to wide the head lights just make it and the bumper ends leave a gape between the fender and the bumper so you have to use the kit chrome for the front. The inside tub fits good when you add a small stripe a long the side to fill in the gap and the chases fits great to. So it's no big deal to a modeler but I would love to know how they did it.! All in All it is still a good way to add a 66 to your line up.