Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cover versions of well-known songs

Speaking of Bob Dylan covers... one of my favorite bands is the Byrds (Chris Hillman, Gene Clark, David Crosby, Roger McGuinn, etc.), and they did a lot of Dylan covers, like "Mr. Tambourine Man," for example. This is one of my favorite Byrds takes on a Dylan song... "My Back Pages." I love that jangly 12-string Rickenbacker sound that Roger McGuinn had... B)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56mutXECslE

It's funny how so many Dylan covers are thought to be originals of the cover band.

Harry, with your knowledge of music do you play?

Sadly, the only thing I can play is the radio. ^_^

I would love to be able to play guitar, but I just don't have the time it would take to really get into it and get really good. One of my regrets in life is not having taken lessons and learning to play as a kid.

Life can sure get in the way........I started playing as a youngster and never got better than "open mic night" stuff. A little Guitar, even less keyboards but pretty fair on blues harmonica.

But it sure gave me an eclectic taste in what I like to listen to.

Edited by Craig Irwin

If there are any alternative/screamo fans in here:

Vampires Everywhere! Covering Katy Perry's 'Teenage Dream' and A Day To Remember covering Kelly Clarkson's 'Since U Been Gone'

If thats not your cup of tea:

Counting Crows covering 'Friend of the devil' or Primus covering 'Devil went down to Georgia'.

I've always loved Pantera's cover of Planet Caravan, even more so than the original by Black Sabbath. It's such a departure from their non-stop brutally aggressive songs. I tend to get goosebumps listening to it.

Rest in peace Dime....

Actually, I like the version of Ike and Tina Turner. I have it in my collection. But then, I'm of that era.

So am I, I was a teen in the mid to late 70's, and I hate it.

I don't think I can post it, but remember when Steppenwolf covered Hoyt Axton's "The Pusher"? Or how about the cover of this Lou Reed song.

You're right on both counts. Probably best not to post Steppenwolf's version of "The Pusher" here (I have the double album "Steppenwolf Live" from like, 1970?... a great version of that song on that album (and a fantastic album altogether, BTW). And also a good Lou Reed cover you posted. I like Cowboy Junkies' version better than the original... B)

Life can sure get in the way........I started playing as a youngster and never got better than "open mic night" stuff. A little Guitar, even less keyboards but pretty fair on blues harmonica.

But it sure gave me an eclectic taste in what I like to listen to.

I envy you. At least you actually started playing! All I can say is that I wish I had... :(

I like that!

There are a lot of songs by very famous artists out there that are actually covers of Bob Dylan songs... and a lot of people have no idea! A great example... how many people know that this famous "Jimi Hendrix" song was actually written by Bob Dylan? Dave Mason also did a good cover of this song... "All Along the Watchtower."