Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rules of super glue

Pete J.

I am finishing up a model with almost 200 pieces of white metal and 300 photo etched pieces and have used almost an entire bottle of super glue! I have discovered some rules of super glue that I thought I would share:

There are different types of super glue.

Instant - The only time it sets instantly is when you have just glued a part in the wrong place or you have glued your fingers together.

Medium - The more awkward of a position you have to hold the part in, the longer this glue will take to set. If you used instant, it would set at the very moment that you involuntarily moved it slightly.

Gap filling- This will fill every gap in the vicinity except the one you want to fill.

Accelerator or kicker- This stuff has two purposes. The first purpose is to instantly bond your fingers to that little drop of glue that dripped down the side of the bottle. The second is to get into some hidden crevasse and wait until you get near it with your applicator and then bond the end of the applicator to the model.

Non fogging glue- won't fog the parts that are easy to clean up. It will fog some obscure corner that is highly visible and impossible to get at.

Super glue as a single purpose. To bring you and your models together........permanently......... at the least opportune moment!

:blink::D

Instant - The only time it sets instantly is when you have just glued a part in the wrong place or you have glued your fingers together.

For me, this one hits a little harder than the others. All of them are true, but this one seems to bite me most often of all. And yes, on anything other than skin or a part in the wrong location, it is anything but "instant". I can't tell you how many times I've muttered "Instant, my (fanny)" while at the workbench....

Always wear eye protection. About 10 years ago, before I had to wear glasses, I was gluing a part that slipped & flung a piece of super glue into my eye. I had to take an emergency trip to the eye Dr. where they stuck my head in a vice like contraption & scraped the now dried glue out of my eye. :blink:

Most of you will never have the pleasure of experiencing super glue bloom.we use super glue to fill chips in granite counters. Sometimes the accelerator will react with certain minerals and turn a bright aqua color and bloom all over the surrounding areas. We remove it with bleach and comet.