higher-front-on-left-quarter.jpg

250%20SWB%20left-profile.jpg

front-left-quarter.jpg

lowest-front-right-quarter.jpg

right-profile.jpg

high-rhs.jpg

rear-quarter-high-bonnet-open.jpg

underhood.jpg

A hard to find kit in an Italeri box, but it turns out that it's been reboxed for the domestic Korean market by Academy, as "European Classic Car". No mention of the maker, nor any Cavallino Rampantes on the box art or decal sheet. However, all the bits are there, and it can be had for a bit less than £20 delivered from eBay. Some detailing under the bonnet to fill the empty space, with a fair few bits and pieces liberated from the spares box or scratch-built. Otherwise it's pretty much OOB. Colour is a home-brew "Vinaccia" (so much nicer than "Aubergine") made with Zero paints components, and the interior is Ferrari "Tobacco" aka Vallejo Tanned Flesh with a dash of yellow added...

bestest,

M

Beautiful! Totally beautiful! Love it. The paintjob is awesome and the darker brown fits perfectly to the black. You took up my idea to build this convertible in black. Some months ago I read about a barnfind in France. Same car. Also black and I began to look after a kit to build. When I was 20 years younger, I had two of them built already. 11 years ago I sold them with all my Ferrari. Last week I got a kit again - only because of the article ;)

So I know how rare the kit is. There was the same kit in a Revell box. This is what I bought.

You did me a big favor: no red on the two Ferrari you show here. There a're so many nice colors by Ferrari and so I decided: a Ferrari hasn't to be red (in my shelf). The only Ferrari I'm gonna paint red is the F40. Like your Dino as well as the 250 :)

Pretty well done!

Edited by christian-w

...and with her build partner: it's much quicker to go curbside!

2gether-1.jpg

2gether-2.jpg

bestest,

M.

Great Ferraris, Matt!

The California Spider looks excellent - especially in that color!

Unfortunately I built mine red/int. black, but have still 2 more originals in my stash: dark blue/tan int., metallic grey/red int. or black/red int. ?

Now I see another color combination which pleases me!

What rims and tires did you use? Spoke wheels look almost like Italeri's, tires like Protar's?

Thanks for the positive comments, guys!

Matija, Christian... the great thing about the Academy box is that it's in production now -- the only reason for eBay is to find a Korean seller. I haven't seen an Italeri-boxed version for sale ever, and the only RoG one I've spotted was ridiculously expensive. I wonder if there's some license that's expired between Italeri and Ferrari. I emailed their team a couple of years ago to see if they were planning to re-release any of these "classics", as they are doing with the Porsches, and they told me a firm "NO." There was also a strong rumour a couple of years back that RoG was going to re-release the Italeri 250 SWB, which is way better than the Esci/AMT abomination, and that came to nothing. (Though RoG DID do the 250 GTO recently). In theory, Italeri could release at least the 250 California, 250 SWB, 250 GTO, 275 GTB and NART Spider, Daytona...

Christian... I do have a few Rosso Corsa Ferraris, but I also have 'em in blue, black, silver, yellow and now "Aubergine". There's a lot of scope for interesting colours in the more "GT" rather than "Sports" end of the range...

Helmut -- those are the wheels and tyres in the box. I don't think they are too bad -- put them next to a set of Renaissance Borranis or the etched wires that come in the Gunze 250s and they look a bit clunky, but I could buy two boxes of the entire kit for the price of one set of Renaissance wheels...

Thanks again, all!

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

Thanks, guys... a bit of a test, now. I traded the EOS400 for an EOS40D, because the 400 was consistently underexposing, and all the shots had to be messed with in Photoshop. These following are straight out of the camera with the 40D. That in itself is a big difference, but I think they are actually better coloured, better dynamic range and slightly sharper. But I may be kidding myself...

40D-low-front-right.jpg

40D-left-front.jpg

40D-right-rear.jpg

40D-high-rear-left.jpg

What do you think?

bestest,

M.