Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Ford Custom (Finished, see it in Under Glass forum 3-7-13)

rmvw guy

I'm excited about building this kit, to say the least. After watching others begin on here I couldn't wait any longer, so just decided to start my own thread. My first new build for 2013. DSC04209.jpgDesided to two tone it with Model Masters Wimbeldon White on the top and trunk. It might be hard to see in picture. DSC04212.jpgDSC04210.jpgThe engine is Dupli-color Ford Engine Red over cheap red oxide primer. DSC04211.jpgNow I'm waiting till 9am for Hobby Lobby to open so I can get some Testors Gloss Black for the other body color. Some last minute shopping before a major storm moves in the area tonight. Merry Christmas everybody and thanks for looking.

Edited by rmvw guy

Good to see you got started on yours Ron. Are you doing yours in Wimbledon White and Black? Are you using the blackwalls included in the kit or going with whitewalls....either way it should look good. Good luck. :)

Edited by RandyB.

Thanks Randy, Glenn, and Jim for helping get this started. The colors I am thinking are black and white but, not necessarily a patrol car. I was thinking more like the '57 Chevy Black Widow look only on a Ford. Probably white rims with black-walls. I'm really excited about this! Picked up my black paint today thinking maybe of spraying it on this afternoon. A little last minute shopping for Christmas set me back on schedule. Had to drive to Indy to Lowes, about 50 miles away, to get what I wanted. Merry Christmas everyone and thanks for looking.

That looks great .. Like the off white. before you paint the main body., you should attach the headlight frame thing first,. will make the painting easier. I should of done that myself. but will attach them for the second coat.

keep up the good work. What color for the interior.

I will be watching.

Got my second color on today, it went down pretty smooth. Next will be the trim, and back to the engine. A few pictures, first one got it masked;DSC04221.jpgIn the paint booth;DSC04222.jpgSprayed it with airbrush;DSC04223.jpgNice gloss but, one little speck of dust on the hood, should buff out, I hope;DSC04224.jpgThat's all folks, thanks for watching.DSC04225.jpg

That combination of Raven Black and Winbledon White is awesome. For me, the Ford no matter the year always looks way better than the Cheby :D

The E-code engine that comes with the Revell kit, is the base version of the 312 Thunderbird Special V8, rated at 245 hp. This engine has black valve covers. The tranny is natural metal.

If you are aiming at a factory stock look, the wheels should be Raven Black (main body color in your case)

By painting the body black and white, to go factory stock, you will have to go with a gray interior.

In many ads of the Custom Tudor Sedan you can see the car with whitewall tires, but few were actually sold that way.

That combination of Raven Black and Winbledon White is awesome. For me, the Ford no matter the year always looks way better than the Cheby :D

The E-code engine that comes with the Revell kit, is the base version of the 312 Thunderbird Special V8, rated at 245 hp. This engine has black valve covers. The tranny is natural metal.

If you are aiming at a factory stock look, the wheels should be Raven Black (main body color in your case)

By painting the body black and white, to go factory stock, you will have to go with a gray interior.

In many ads of the Custom Tudor Sedan you can see the car with whitewall tires, but few were actually sold that way.

Thanks for all the comments and help. The factory stock look is kind of what I'm going for although, I hate to back-track. I agree the valve covers would look better black with the kit decals applied, wish I knew that sooner. The wheels I have painted white, I thought they wolud look good with the blackwalls. I think black wheels would look good with whitewalls. I will probably take your suggestion on the interior and go with factory gray. I'll think about the other changes, thanks.

It's your model Ron, do what you want with it man, after all, we build those things to have fun!!

The wheel painted in white will look good with blackwall tires, yes they will.

if you want to detail it to look more factory, the interior gray is a medium gray tone.

The floor pan was painted at the line before painting the body itself on cars that would go to places where some more rust protection were needed.

A curious fact is that if they had just painted a Colonial Blue car, for example, and the next car on the line needed to be painted a different color, they would empty the paint guns at the floor pans, so you could have a Raven Black car with a Colonial Blue floor. Usually, cars that would be sold in states like Arizona, or California would have just the red oxide primer on the floor pans, with some body color overspray, and black undercoating on wheel weels, and rockers.

• 5 weeks later...

Where did the rest of my post go after Smiley? Okay I will try again. This is going as bad as my attempt with BMF. he he he ( no Smiley this time) I went to plan B, the Prismacolor pen for trim after wasting an entire morning with BMF. Bought a second "57 today at Hobby Lobby for $16 and some change and 40% coupon. It will be a race car of some kind. Got the dust speck on hood polished out. Need to get back to work on this one. Thanks for looking. Here's a Smiley for you. alfredeneuman.jpg