Model Cars Magazine Forum

Making a shortbed version of the Model King Ford 4x4 kit

Has anyone created a shortbed version of the Model King 4x4? I have one of these kits to build and I really want to make it a shortbed but was hoping someone has pictures of doing one already. I know the frame and bed will need to chopped down, is it possible to use the kit bed? I thought I had seen a resin bed on eBay at one time but IIRC it was a rough casting with much work to be done to make it presentable.

Any and all help is appreciated!

They're not. They're too far back. Looks like he just cut the front portion off and didn't move them forward. The bed may be the right length, but the wheel wells are wrong.

Thanks Roger, I thought my eyes were failing me! Not sure I have the patience to make the correct bedsides for this kit, might have to use a bed from a 90's kit and build it as a beater.

Pickup boxes from that era came in two standard sizes: 6.5 foot, and 8 foot. As a general rule (until later in the 1970's), the difference in length was 12" in front of the wheel arch, 6" behind it.

Art

Thanks Art, I had an idea it was something like that. I think the issue at hand is whether or not the bed sides in the kit can be modified to accurately represent a short bed. I am going to have to find some pictures of a 1:1 and then compare the kit pieces.

Yes, but, if you do it that way the wheels will still be too far back. The distance between the wheels and the bumper are perfect for a bobbed bed on a Bronco chassis (which I am building) but totally wrong for a 6-3/4 bed. Ford used the same basic chassis from 1965-1996 so you could in theory use an AMT 1:25 1992 F-150 chassis and cut the bed up to fit it.

Another option would be to build the bed in steps. Take the long bed, correct it for a 133" wheelbase and then take 18" from the front and 6" from the back and you will have a properly proportioned bed.

Edited by kataranga

The AMT '70s Ford is a "Camper Special" though, 8 foot box but longer than standard wheelbase. That rule will not work with that particular truck.

OK, that does change things a bit for sure! A couple of things will be necessary to get the essential measurements: First, the wheelbase of the short box version, and second, the BBC (Bumper to Back of Cab) dimension. The latter should be fairly easy to find, as virtually all light commercial sales literature (beyond the smplest sales brochures) back in those days (and probably still do) will show that dimension, for prospective buyers of a cab & chassis version for mounting an aftermarket commercial body.

However, even without that, just having the overall length of the short bed pickup, along with the wheelbase, will give the essential information. In any event, doing a proper short box conversion will involve shortening the box and chassis forward of the rear axle, and with the camper special, there still could be some alteration of the rear overhang needed as well (but that would not be known without the two dimensions I mention in this paragraph. No matter what, it should not be an insurmountable task though.

Art

Thanks to all that have posted. I really wish Art was still in the resin business, I would gladly pay him for some resin frames and beds that already had been corrected to the proper dimensions.

I will have some free time next weekend and will begin the process of sawing up a bed and frame.

I could wait for the Mobieus kits to come out later this year- there will be a shortbed and longbed and something tells me that they will be correct. IIRC, the frame on the all new 67 model year was used up into the 90s, so the measurements could be had from those kits.