Model Cars Magazine Forum

been thinking about this for a while

diymirage

hey, thats a good start Jairus

those boards look good to me

(not sure if they look right to 1:1s, ive only played with the ones equiped with sails before) but they look good compared to the hotwheel and that is what we're going for :D

heres a quick mockup of mine, this is how the rideheight will be with the narrowed rear end

it really shows off the rims i found, their porsche rollers that came with a VW bug streetrod

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMzQtMjAxMTA2MTUtMjIzMi5qcGc.jpg

Great progres mate, i'm off to a slow start, sourcing a 53 beetle, let alone a beetle is damned hard to do in my hick town lol

Anyone found a set of wheels that are close? 1966 - 67 Chevelle maybe?

Jairus, that would be the closest that I can think of. I want to use those for my Sand Crab, but they'll need some massaging to fit in those funky tires!

Then there's the redlines that I have to figure out how to get on said tires.................. :D

I found the kit after some digging.............I've had it so long that I forgot that it was started!. :D I've got to do some disassembling and try to rework it. I'm going to change the "roll bar" somewhat to more suit the Hot Wheels car. I'll try to get some pics up before the weekend is over.

Yes, this is what I am looking for. Seems the Lindberg '66 Chevelle is perfect and there are lots of them on ebay right now. I have a '66 Chevelle wagon kit in my stuff but I'm pretty sure the Torque thrust wheels are all that's in that one (no stock). Can I get a confirmation from someone please?

mag_wheel_cover_photo-vi.jpg

Edited by Jairus

Yes, this is what I am looking for. Seems the Lindberg '66 Chevelle is perfect and there are lots of them on ebay right now. I have a '66 Chevelle wagon kit in my stuff but I'm pretty sure the Torque thrust wheels are all that's in that one (no stock). Can I get a confirmation from someone please?

mag_wheel_cover_photo-vi.jpg

Jairus, the Lindberg kit has 'em,the wagon don't. I have a set from the Lindberg kit and I also have a set from the Revell Z-16 Chevelle. The Lindberg's are used,the Z-16's are new. Send a PM if interested.

Those would be it Jairus! :unsure: I happen to have an extra resin set that I got by mistake at a show when I thought they were for a Shelby (those would work as well).

I didn't want to pitch them, and I'm glad I didn't as they would be perfect for replicating Hot Wheels "mag wheels".

those chevelle wheels do look spot on

good find guys

Bill, im sure i have an extra set of redline decals from the 69 charger laying around

shoot me a PM if you want them.

Aaron, have you tried ebay ?

there is always something on there :lol:

My favorite line up of Hot Wheels cars have to be the original Sweet Sixteen released on 8 to 10 year old kids (of which I was one) back in 1968! Most of these have had corresponding kits released over time and some of them are on many of our shelves right now! All one needs is the desire and a set of Chevelle wheels (and redline tires) to build!

hotwheelsfinal-vi.jpg

1. Beatnick Bandit - Revell kit recently reissued couple years ago. Dang thing is small!

2. Custom Firebird - Use the Revell '68 Firebird kit as a basis. Reissued at least twice in the last 10 years!

3. Ford J Car - Old IMC kit will cost you a cool $150+, if you can find one.

4. Custom Corvette - The 1969 showcar released in 68 before the real 1/1 car. A Scoop if there ever was one.

5. Custom T-Bird - The AMT '69 T-Bird kit has not been reissued in a long time leaving vintage kits way out in the stratosphere.

6. Silhouette - AMT reissued this kit a short time back as a Prestige kit and then later with the trailer. Should be easy to find.

7. Custom Barracuda - MPC kit reissued by the old AMT some 8 - 10 years ago. Still easy to find.

8. Custom Cougar - '67 Cougar kit by AMT, not easy to find but out there. (NO the '69 is not "close enough")

9. Custom Fleetside - '72 Chevrolet fleeside by AMT is still around. Pop on a 1968 ElCamino roof and some body work... Done.

10. Custom VW - Tough one, Revell's old VW kit is junk and the Hasegawa kit is too expensive. Opening sunroof, neat car, I had one!

11. Hot Heap - Typical Model T hot rod based on the 1925 bucket and fenders. Not hard to find.

12. Custom Camaro - AMT '67, most of us have one of these on our shelves, even me a Ford guy!

13. Custom Eldorado - No current kits that I know of, but AMT had a kit back in '69.

14. Custom Mustang - 1968 Snakebite Mustang by AMT. Incorrect inner fenders and chassis so... perfect for this slammer project! Ha.

15. Deora - MPC kit last released 1987, lots on eBay for about $20.00

16. Python - No current kits available, very old styrene if you can find one. Not sure who molded it but my friend Bob Jungblut has one. :rolleyes:

My favorite line up of Hot Wheels cars have to be the original Sweet Sixteen released on 8 to 10 year old kids (of which I was one) back in 1968! Most of these have had corresponding kits released over time and some of them are on many of our shelves right now! All one needs is the desire and a set of Chevelle wheels (and redline tires) to build!

hotwheelsfinal-vi.jpg

1. Beatnick Bandit - Revell kit recently reissued couple years ago. Dang thing is small!

2. Custom Firebird - Use the Revell '68 Firebird kit as a basis. Reissued at least twice in the last 10 years!

3. Ford J Car - Old IMC kit will cost you a cool $150+, if you can find one.

4. Custom Corvette - The 1969 showcar released in 68 before the real 1/1 car. A Scoop if there ever was one.

5. Custom T-Bird - The AMT '69 T-Bird kit has not been reissued in a long time leaving vintage kits way out in the stratosphere.

6. Silhouette - AMT reissued this kit a short time back as a Prestige kit and then later with the trailer. Should be easy to find.

7. Custom Barracuda - MPC kit reissued by the old AMT some 8 - 10 years ago. Still easy to find.

8. Custom Cougar - '67 Cougar kit by AMT, not easy to find but out there. (NO the '69 is not "close enough")

9. Custom Fleetside - '72 Chevrolet fleeside by AMT is still around. Pop on a 1968 ElCamino roof and some body work... Done.

10. Custom VW - Tough one, Revell's old VW kit is junk and the Hasegawa kit is too expensive. Opening sunroof, neat car, I had one!

11. Hot Heap - Typical Model T hot rod based on the 1925 bucket and fenders. Not hard to find.

12. Custom Camaro - AMT '67, most of us have one of these on our shelves, even me a Ford guy!

13. Custom Eldorado - No current kits that I know of, but AMT had a kit back in '69.

14. Custom Mustang - 1968 Snakebite Mustang by AMT. Incorrect inner fenders and chassis so... perfect for this slammer project! Ha.

15. Deora - MPC kit last released 1987, lots on eBay for about $20.00

16. Python - No current kits available, very old styrene if you can find one. Not sure who molded it but my friend Bob Jungblut has one. :rolleyes:

that is sweet thanx for the info man! :lol:

almost embarred to show it but here is the potched up paint job i did on the coronet

the passenger side came out allright (other then being upside down)

but the driver side was beyond repair so its going into the pond and im going to do this the other way around, first lay down the black and then try to decal the red

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMzktMjAxMTA2MTktMDg1Ni5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNDAtMjAxMTA2MTktMDg1Ni5qcGc.jpg

you should see it now, i just checked up on it and the black came off allready but the red,silver and primer are a bit tougher

iether way, its going to need some more work

i might have to sand it since its been in the pond since late saturday

Hey guys. Unfortunately due to some unforseen financial issues I'll have to sit this one out. I do sincerely appologise. But I will keep watching the thread to see it eveolve. I do still plan to build a 67 Dodge, only the hotwheels isn't even close to the custom dream rod I have in my head :P

thats too bad aaron

ill talk to greg and see if we can at least keep you as a member (usually this type of thing is cause for suspension)

in the mean time i could use some advice on the pond

i had the car in both rubbing alcohol and easy off and it took off the top coat

now the red laquer and the silver (model masters laquer) are still on there strong as well as most of the primer

any suggestions on how to remove those?

I have never had any luck removing lacquer paint Eelco. Although you should first try all the known paint removers known to modeling including but not exclusive to: Brake fluid, Easy Off oven cleaner, 91% rubbing alcohol and Simple green cleaning fluid. I have also had chrome removed with Coca cola®! So try everything.

If none of those work... lightly sand and prime and paint it again... or buy a new body?

the only 2 from that list i havent tried are simply green and dot 3

im a bit skiddish to use dot 3 because last time i did use it it ended up melting the model, it literally looked like it got runned over by a monster truck

(maybe 8 months was too long? )

i did do some samding today (3200 wet) since i had to take a shower anyway and i couldnt even get through to the primer