Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 FORD FAIRLANE COBRA!!!

modeltech

i'm not sure about the Cobra interior. the Fairlane interior can work with new seats, steering wheel and center console. for a hood i think a teardrop style would bring the retro part in nicely. the SVO side exit exhaust would be a nice touch too.

Dave

Dave do you mean the early/mid 80's SVO's??? i thought they were all rear exhaust, but side exiting sounds interesting!! do you think the teardrop hood would date it back a little to far with the newer wheels and lowered suspension and fuel injected engine?? i am going to play with the interior a little bit today and see what i come up with!! thanks for the comments fellas!!

This sounds cool. I have a stalled 66 Galaxie NASCAR influenced open road racer build that has a teardrop scoop. I have always thought teardrops made Galaxies, Fairlanes, etc., look front heavy, so I cut the top off of it, sanded the height down a bit and made a new top with Evergreen, it helped even the front/rear proportions quite a bit to my eye. It's the first thing I thought of when I read Daves post, side exit exhaust would be cool too. Keep us posted on whatever you decide to do.

i'm not sure about the Cobra interior. the Fairlane interior can work with new seats, steering wheel and center console. for a hood i think a teardrop style would bring the retro part in nicely. the SVO side exit exhaust would be a nice touch too.

Dave

The teardrop hood could work, but my preference is the hood from the Fairlane 427.

The teardrop hood could work, but my preference is the hood from the Fairlane 427.

you talkin about the hood that has the opening at the front center?? i wasnt planning really any hood but the stock one, because with the 4.6 engine i think will sit under the hood, but now you all got me thinkin!! i have been also throghing around the idea of moulding the cobra hood into the stock hood!!

he is what i did with my 62 belair!! kind of an idea what direction i am going with the fairlane!!

http://public.fotki.com/modeltech/62-belair/

Edited by modeltech

i think it needs some sort of scoop on the hood for appearance more than anything. the 427 hood would be cool slightly taller than stock. the teardrop to me is a universally cool scoop on any Ford and a few other brands too.

the side exit exhaust i'm referring to is the optional SVO/Ford Motorsport version that was available for the '94 and up Mustang. it had a oval shaped tip and some rounded side skirts for the Mustang to finish it off. later i think that Roush had a similar set-up for the '99 and up that was more squared. that style may go better with the shape of the Fairlane body.

the seats in the AMT '70 Super Bee pro street kit would be a nice fit in this build too. they really come alive with some of the Testors textured interior color's sprayed on them. i have a bunch of the Aoshima parts pack steering wheels if you would be interested in one of those.

another idea is to add a very subtle lip spoiler to the back edge of the trunk, maybe only a MM or 2 tall.

Dave

gotcha!! i know exactly what you are referring to now on the side exhaust!! i totally agree with the wing very small and subtle!! those seats your are talkin about i used in my 62 Belair build and i have set here i was mocking up with!! i am still stuck for some reason on using the cobra interior, mocking it up and measuring it appears it would all work with very little head ache!! but, i will still try your idea as well!! thnaks for all the comments and suggetions, it really helps with getting the fire to build under me again!!

gotcha!! i know exactly what you are referring to now on the side exhaust!! i totally agree with the wing very small and subtle!! those seats your are talkin about i used in my 62 Belair build and i have set here i was mocking up with!! i am still stuck for some reason on using the cobra interior, mocking it up and measuring it appears it would all work with very little head ache!! but, i will still try your idea as well!! thnaks for all the comments and suggetions, it really helps with getting the fire to build under me again!!

If the Cobra interior will work without too much trouble, why not use it? Sounds like a great idea and I'm sure that you'll be able to pull it off.

niiceeeeeeeeeee T-BOLT!!! well, i got the engine white glued together to dry fit in the engine bay!! the engine will sit farther back against the firewall once i flip and modify the oil pan!!! let me know what you guys think!!!

eee.jpg

weew.jpg

ewew.jpg

Thats goin to be one bad ford. WOW!! I am not a big ford guy but I like where you are going w/ her. Keep the pics comin

Clutch

ok i will look at the willys front suspension i have one!! all i did to lower the front was flip the spindles upside down, and thats where she sits now!!! i was looking at the cobra front suspension to see what kind of work it would be to shave off the old totally and then piece the cobra's in place of it , still thinkin of that though!! actually i dont know about making any headers because believe it or not the cobra headers are in place in the pics!! the 4.6 modular motor is kind of wild when you look at it.. the block looks like a big "Y"!! so the stock headers are tucked under the engine!!!plus i am going to shape the engine bay sides so they are smooth and no battery shelf, the battery will be located in the trunk with the fuel cell and a nice little bottle!! lol!!

Edited by modeltech

I like the way this is going nice idea. How about a Mustang Two suspension Hot Rod style with the rack and pinion steering ?That way you can get rid of the shock towers and still be all Ford. I have seen this set up with the Mustang independent rear suspension on real Mustangs. The Fairlanes are the same as a Mustang pretty much underneath. I'll be watching this build to see what you end up with.

thanks for all the postive comments guys!! Mikelo ya i might try the open element but i am starting to like the clean look of it entering the fender well!! also thinking of adding a turbo but not real sure of that yet!! i took a leap of faith today and cut up the cobra hood and fairlane hood and blended them, i think i like it!!! let me know what you all think??

fdfff.jpg

dsss.jpg

dsdsd.jpg

Shannon, my brutha from anutha mutha.......you keep askin' what we think.....I think you're nuts :) ....but....IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT I THINK!!!!!!!! B) ....personally I dont see that hood on the car.....you'z have a car with square sharp body lines and a hood that has bubbly round lines.....UUUUMMMM no match......like tryin' to put a square peg in a round whole......can be done with the right size hammer but not too good lookin' :P ...you go with your gut feelin' on this build

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!man deflated me quickly on that responce!! i see what your sayin Bear, but in person it doesnt look bad at all!! the 2 body lines on either side of the hood are squared but i do see what you are sayin about it been bubbly!!! i am not sure yet, i will have to stare at that for awhile and then decide!! but thanks for the insight bro, it gets me thinkin!! B)

Same here. I like the work you did but I'm just not feeling it. My first choice is the 427 hood (which I'll use on my '67 Fairlane annual) or perhaps a flat hood with Ford scoop from either the AMT '69 Cougar or the AMT ex-MPC '73 Cougar.

the cobra hood really doesnt look bad at all in person!! its very subtle!!! but, i have 2 other mustang hoods that i will take pics of and see what we all think!!! i really am going after the new crossed with the old on this build, so i am shooting for crossing as many of a the newer parts as is possible and still look good!! thanks for the comments this is what makes this hobby very rewarding for me!!! :lol: