Model Cars Magazine Forum

Charlie - Thanks for thinking of me; the SSB is one of my favorite SoCal VWs ever.

Gregg - Any other pics of the one on the far right? Looks like a chopped top, if thyne eyes do not deceive. 8)

Here's the most current pic I have of my 1:1 Meyers Manx and my '68 Beetle project car together(Oct. '04, I think):

photo#the_boys

(Fotki seems to be a little lazy tonight; might have to copy/paste to see it)

The one on the far right looks more squished then chopped Dave....

Never had a Beetle in the family but my dad drove a 85 Quantum for years (about 95-02 when he died) and had an 83 Rabbit before that. I've got pics (well, A Pic of each) if anybody wants to see them. (Though I think both were posted in the Family Cars thread in the Refrence section)

Gregg - Any other pics of the one on the far right? Looks like a chopped top, if thyne eyes do not deceive. 8)

Dave, that's the only one I could find.

I may have more, but those boxes are buried deep somewhere

Never did finish it though

The chop was pretty neat though, a lot of hammer/welding.

That was way before MIG and TIG, which would have made it a breeze to do.

Ahhhh, the good ol' days

Still want to do a Notch, maybe can find a good one up there in the next month or so.

This is eery. :shock: My name is Dave, I'm also into VW's, and one of them is a Sears Rascal which is a clone of the Meyers Manx sold through the Sears Catalog back in the 70's. Your Manx looks familiar. Do you post on the Samba or DBA?

And regarding the first photo in the thread. Its a street/drag car named SSB (Super S*it Box). The car and its owner/driver Mark Herbert were killed in an accident a couple of months ago :( Mark was very well respected as a technical resource and comedian in the ACVW world.

Dave - Welcome aboard! We can always use more Daves IMO. 8) The Sears Rascal was one of the better-quality 'clone' buggies, and they're plenty rare nowadays too. Regardless of pedigree, buggies are a fun car.

I do post on TheSamba, as a matter of fact; over there I go by 'plasticman1432.'

I was signed up on the DBA list, but left after they boned me on their 2006 calendar. :evil:

If any of you guys have some pics online of your VW models I'd love to see them.

I've got a Revell AG 1/16th split kit that I want to really do a number on. I can't decide if I want to do a custom or a street/strip car, but either way it will be a long and detailed build. I plan to build alot of ACVW models though.

If any of you guys have some pics online of your VW models I'd love to see them.

A few of mine are here:

http://public.fotki.com/vwdave/my_model_cars/

And a couple more are here:

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/my_model_car_projects/

I've got 2 of those Revell AG splits, as well as the '56 Ghia awaiting my attention. Very nice kits, although doing a custom seems a little scary......scratchbuilding would be the only way to come up with the parts

Is the ghia 1/16th scale?

Also, where did you get the JL EMPI Bus? I looked on Ebay and nothing came up, but I HAVE to get one of those. I'm a huge old school EMPI fan.

Yeah, any mods would have to be custom made, but I think it would be a fun long term project. I figure I could do a resto-cruiser with stock wheels and hubcaps lowered, that wouldn't be too hard.

Oh, and I'm looking through your work, VERY NICE!

Dave - I actually got the JL EMPI Buses from a friend who works for Darrell Vittone, and he had them autographed by Joe & Darrell; at my last job, we did a lot of business with them, and I was in touch every day. I told him I was interested in buying one shortly before my wedding in October of 2003, and he sent the second one along as a wedding gift. It's kinda cool that they have the 2 different wheel variations.

At the moment both of my dune buggy books are in Darrell's hands, and headed to visit Joe in FL. I already got Bruce Meyers to sign them when we visited him & Winnie at their home, and I figure having the Vittones add their scribbles oughta make my books a little cooler. 8)

You're very lucky to be close to the industry.

Where is Joe located in Florida? I'm in Tampa.

I found another interesting modeling project the other day for an oval window kit. Not sure if you remember Turbonique rocket engines that were sold as kits to bolt to differentials back in the 60's. Well there was a flat black oval window bug somebody built with one and actually set NHRA records in the mid 90's. Well, I found some nicely detailed shots of the car and it would be a pretty easy build if you could get over scratchbuilding the turbonique which doesn't seem TOO hard.

Oddly enough, the car was based out of Tampa Florida as well and the record was set at the long defunct Tampa Bay Dragway.